Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hookah???

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• Hookah???

So I'm not a smoker of cigarettes...but man I looooooove hookah! I was wondering if any of you could tell me the risks of smoking hookah? Is it just as bad as cigarettes? I know theres no nicotine but what about other things? Like tar and such?

• Not as dangerous as cigarettes but it is still something like all other drugs that should not be continuously used. The issue arises from the lack of care in the product itself. These days drug dealers will lace their products with more harsh substances to create a bigger high in their clients causing them to come back more. So clearly that can be a problem as the kids would have no idea what they are even getting in their product. In the case of hookah, though it has ancient roots, is becoming more popular in the teenage kids that are looking for more ways to be 'deviant'. The method of smoking it with the pipes and water filter does not remove all the harmful chemicals that are produced when it is smoked. Those impurities can cause problems that researchers do not even know since smoking something can produce thousands and thousands of unknown chemicals. The major concern with hookah is the increased levels of CEA, carcinoembryonic antigen, this chemical causes cells to stick together. Much of this sticking together is seen in cancer patients, particularly colon cancer though studies have seen it increased in patients with gastric, breast, lung, thyroid, and pancreatic cancers. Smoking it once or twice does not dramatically increase CEA though, it would take a long time to develop but nonetheless researchers are starting to see increased levels of CEA in people who are chronic hookah smokers.
    There are those who believe that dictionaries should not merely reflect the times but also protect English from the mindless assaults of the trendy.

Comment

• Oh! Thanks for the info! I'm debating on buying one for my apartment for the rare occasions when I have people over...this definitely gives me a lot more to think about.

Comment

• Originally posted by ItsASecret View Post
        Not as dangerous as cigarettes but it is still something like all other drugs that should not be continuously used. The issue arises from the lack of care in the product itself. These days drug dealers will lace their products with more harsh substances to create a bigger high in their clients causing them to come back more. So clearly that can be a problem as the kids would have no idea what they are even getting in their product. In the case of hookah, though it has ancient roots, is becoming more popular in the teenage kids that are looking for more ways to be 'deviant'. The method of smoking it with the pipes and water filter does not remove all the harmful chemicals that are produced when it is smoked. Those impurities can cause problems that researchers do not even know since smoking something can produce thousands and thousands of unknown chemicals. The major concern with hookah is the increased levels of CEA, carcinoembryonic antigen, this chemical causes cells to stick together. Much of this sticking together is seen in cancer patients, particularly colon cancer though studies have seen it increased in patients with gastric, breast, lung, thyroid, and pancreatic cancers. Smoking it once or twice does not dramatically increase CEA though, it would take a long time to develop but nonetheless researchers are starting to see increased levels of CEA in people who are chronic hookah smokers.
        Good information! Thanks for the post I didn't know all that about hookah's links to cancer

Comment

• I don't know how true it is, but they say that if you smoke one hookah head it's like a whole pack of cigs...

Comment

• Not like a whole pack maybe half, because hookah contains a water that filter tobacco before it can enter into your body.

Comment

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

• U2 Feedback

I love U2: I checked out their website. I think some of the members were rude about U2: which was totally unfair. U2 produce great music and those insults...

09-09-2019, 09:57 AM By Popcorn&Candy
            • Diagnosis on Netflix

There are only 7 episodes, but I found this to be such an informative, interesting and eye-opening show. I was truly captivated by it and wanted to recommend...

09-05-2019, 07:43 AM By Ashlee T.
            • Is it weird that I'm addicted to giving BJs?

I know this is probably going to sound like a windup but it's a genuine question. And a warning to fellas: any comment along the lines of "come give...

09-04-2019, 06:05 PM By GillBlack
            • High Fat, High Carbohydrate, High Protein – Which Works Best?

When I was struggling to continue my progress last year, a couple of good friends started suggesting that I figure out my “macros” and “reduce carbs.”...

09-04-2019, 12:24 AM By Stillness
            • Hurricane Dorian devastation

I watched some videos from hurricane Dorian last night. I hope our members or readers in the Carribean are safe.

And I suppose our members...

09-03-2019, 07:42 AM By atskitty2
            Working...
            X