• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse

Vote on the New WH Logo! We need YOUR help!

Everyone, we need YOUR help! Take a moment to cast your vote on the new WH logo! Vote Here!
See more
See less

Starting up snooker?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starting up snooker?

I really love watching snooker, and I'd really like to give it a try. My exam period finishes next week, at which point I'll have roughly 4 months to kill, and it seems like getting a job is near impossible =( so I figured I might try taking up snooker.
    The thing is, I don't really know where to start. I'd consider going to a local club, but I get really nervous about the idea because everyone seems to know what they're doing and I have zero experience in playing snooker, so I'd probably be terrible.
    Anyone have any ideas for how else I might get into it? I'd really appreciate it ^^

Read up on it and then go down and watch it being played. After watching a while try to get in a games with others who are also amateurs. Maybe some pub somewhere with a snooker table would be a starting place during their low time. Learn about the scoring. One thing I don't know, is deliberately jumping the cue ball a foul (I ask because I know how to jump the ball to escape a trap)?
    I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.
    Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

From a speech by Patrick Henry on March 23, 1775 at St. John's Church, Richmond, Virginia

Comment

Hello owtte,

I play Snooker/pool quite regularly, love it.
      No need to be nervous one bit, you will be surprised at the amount of "noobs" who take to the clubs for a bit of fun.....the one thing to remember is that no one will be "watching you" as they will be concentrating on their own game!

The best thing is practice, go and shoot some balls! You'll learn the more you play, if you ask the guys at the desk, they will probably know someone who will teach you either for free or some money. Where I play, a few pro snooker players play too and we got talking to one of them who said he teaches on the side if we were interested! The one good thing about snooker is that the sport commands respect and you will find that the snooker players convey this to the core....most of them anyway.
      I am going to tell you what you don't want to hear!
      Advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer but wish we didn't

Comment

Hey guys, thanks for the advice =D Thanks per your suggestions, I'll be hitting the books (not sure about whether you're allowed to jump the cue ball, actually), and if I can muster up the confidence, I'll find a local club too.
        Unfortunately my area's not that great so I don't imagine a pub would be such a sensible idea >.<

Comment

You can't play snooker at a pub, only pool or american pool (larger version with bigger balls) .... lol
          There may be a venue nearby that does both pool and snooker and for starters I would recommend starting of on pool to get used to potting and good cue control so that when you hit the longer snooker tables you will not find it as daunting as you would first starting out.
          I am going to tell you what you don't want to hear!
          Advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer but wish we didn't

Comment

Ohh that's a thought! Actually, I think someone in my family might have a pool table. I'll be sure to try that, thanks ^^

Comment

You can go to the local club and watch some of the people play, after a few days, you can ask one of them to teach you. The more you practice, the faster you learn
              Also, you can watch a few tutorials online and read before you go to the club.
              Rashmi Kamani

Comment

Originally posted by owtte View Post
                I really love watching snooker, and I'd really like to give it a try. My exam period finishes next week, at which point I'll have roughly 4 months to kill, and it seems like getting a job is near impossible =( so I figured I might try taking up snooker.
                The thing is, I don't really know where to start. I'd consider going to a local club, but I get really nervous about the idea because everyone seems to know what they're doing and I have zero experience in playing snooker, so I'd probably be terrible.
                Anyone have any ideas for how else I might get into it? I'd really appreciate it ^^

Hey!

I tried playing it too many months ago, two of my juniors taught me; those guys were amazing! And me? nahhh, those balls only rolled a few cms after I hit them.

LOL. But, I didn't care; it was a great time and I have always been looking forward to try it again, but life's been so busy with exams and whatnots.

You can try searching at youtube to get some basics 101 about snooker. Have fun!

Comment

Hey. I have a friend engaged in etym. I asked him and he told me. Opening a pool and snooker gaming business is very beneficial in the area in which we have the most part of working young people. You must specify the main points below.
                  Give it a seat (I assume that you have limited funding). The initial costs of starting a business will be high, but the current costs will be moderate. The place should be large enough, like 1000 square meters. Ftots to maximally accommodate 3 tables, and also should not be overloaded.
                  The next thing that comes to the queue is the infra. I would suggest leaving 2 pool tables and 1 snooker table. Players in the pool are more, and beginners also start with the Pool. So I think that this number is good. then you need to leave the couch .. 2 handbags. I would suggest buying new tables, since you want to give your new clients a good experience. you want to link them, so you can not compromise on quality.
                  A good music system and LED will be enough to create a cooling environment. Lighting will also play an important role. u can cope with light snacks. in the beginning it would be good if you could store something like chips and soft drinks.
                  Now the important thing is coming. "How to attract customers?", Think about the memorable name and an attractive board for your club. pamphlets and boards will work, but marketing from mouth to mouth should be your main focus.
                  Then, to kick start, you can save the tournament, attractive game packs. I hope you information will be useful.

Comment

A great post, Loric2014! I've played snooker and really enjoy it. No wonder it's so popular in pubs around the world!

Comment

Working...
                    X