What kind of music do you listen to?

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• What kind of music do you listen to?

I like all kinds of music, my favorite would have to be all music from the "80"'s.

• Today, Blue Monday by New Order

When I go to clubs, usually punk rock.

Otherwise a lot of different music.
    I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.
    Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

From a speech by Patrick Henry on March 23, 1775 at St. John's Church, Richmond, Virginia

Comment

• As a vocal music enthusiast most of my life and a VPM in college, my taste in music in general and vocal music specifically spans across all genres. I have an appreciation for almost all of it at one level or another and will also say that certain art forms are not music but all music is an art form when performed at the highest level.

Comment

• I have pretty broad taste. I played classical violin for 8 years, and I still love that music. My favorites are probably neo-soul, hip hop, and alternative rock. Like Seeker said, at the highest levels I can appreciate anything. It all seems to resonate with me in different ways.

I'm curious what Seeker thinks is not music. I personally don't understand some of the extreme metal stuff. I don't know if I'd say it's not music. I just don't understand how it could appeal to anyone sober.
        "Those sowing seed with tears
        Will reap with a joyful shout." - Psalm 126

Comment

• Rap is not music. An art form, when performed at a high level but not music.

I also have some "challenges" with anything that is "cranked up" to the point of or beyond distortion. Cranking the volume on garbage just makes for louder garbage. It does not make it music.

Same goes for lyrics. I tend to like a song to tell a story, express feelings or say something to the listener. Having only a handful of lyrics and repeating them over and over and over does not, in my opinion, qualify as a song, no matter how much beat or background you put to it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Seeker_Advice View Post
            Rap is not music. An art form, when performed at a high level but not music.

I also have some "challenges" with anything that is "cranked up" to the point of or beyond distortion. Cranking the volume on garbage just makes for louder garbage. It does not make it music.

Same goes for lyrics. I tend to like a song to tell a story, express feelings or say something to the listener. Having only a handful of lyrics and repeating them over and over and over does not, in my opinion, qualify as a song, no matter how much beat or background you put to it.
            That is a matter of opinion, Seeker. And you are entitled to yours, no matter whether anyone agrees with it or not.

And due to my own opinions, I would have to disagree with you...just because you personally do not like rap doesn't mean it's not music. Even beating on garbage can lids to a beat can be music. It may not be the kind anyone will like or even listen to, but it's still music. Music is just a form of expression, an expression of self and soul and heart and feeling, an expression of attitude and thought and opinion and creativity...and it doesn't have to meet your standards to be valid. Someone out there likes it, and is moved by it, touched by it, in one way or another. Just like all poetry does not have to rhyme (though personally I only enjoy reading it if it does, but that's just my tastes), all music does not have to be sung, spoken, expressed or played in the "socially understood and accepted" form (or even just a form anyone agrees with or likes).

But that's just MY opinion...and you know what they say about those!
            Last edited by WickedVegasINk; 02-08-2013, 02:01 PM.
            WickedVegasInk

Comment

• Sorry to post again so soon, but I ran out of "editing" time!

So, as far as the kind of music I listen to, I listen to a little bit of everything...from hip-hop to pop to classical, country to rock/metal, "world" music from Mexican mariachi to middle eastern and asian pop, techno, Big Band, trance, "Oldies", house, celtic music, bass, mix and club music, gospel music, relaxation music, etc.

Mainly I listen to hip-hop, pop, rock, alternative, and classical.

I am a vocalist with a large choral society (for Xmas we performed Vivaldi's Gloria, next spring we are performing Broadway music from the 40's era to modern), I write song lyrics (as well as poetry), and I used to be a vocalist (and soloist) with a gospel choir.

I'm definitely a well rounded music lover!
              WickedVegasInk

Comment

• 90's rap, hip hop, Metal, Gore, hard rock, punk rock, 50-70's rock n roll, alternative, pop

Comment

• I pretty much will listen to anything except country. If you turned on the radio in my car right now you'd be on the Alternative Rock station. That's where it is about 95% of the time.

Comment

• I'd have to say that any kind of music that gets an emotional reaction out of me,
                    I'll listen to. There's good and bad in every form of music, depending on what we're looking for.

Also having lived in Greece for 8yrs, I love their music! You listen to it and you just want to
                    get up and dance!

Comment

• I prefer classical, but I could not play an instrument to save my life! Other than classical, j******, old blues, and some religioous music.
                      It's always disappointing when someone lies to me, then I look down, and their pants aren't on fire.

Comment

• Jazz music like it....

Comment

• I can honestly say that I listen a little bit of everything. To me, it's not the genre or even the artist. It's the song itself. If I think it has a nice beat, I'll listen to it. The only thing I don't listen to is classical music. For some odd reason, it gives me the creeps. The decade doesn't matter, either. I like swing, I have a Judy Garland CD, I like oldies, today's music, 90s music, just anything from anytime, really.

Comment

• Well.. I do love d'n'b but dubstep is in my heart <3

Comment

• I like indie music and artists like Chris Garneau, Maximilian Hecker and type of music sounds like whispering or sleepy

Comment

Working...
                              X