Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you share your hobbies or achievements with your partners?

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• Do you share your hobbies or achievements with your partners?

Hello, I was just curious how many people share their hobbies with their significant others...like, do you enjoy doing the same things? Do you do those things together, apart, or just show an interest in what each other enjoys doing?

I'll go first. Both my partner and I are passionate about music in slightly different ways, we listen to and discuss music and go to gigs together but play musical instruments apart ( in theory...my instruments are looking very sorry and lonely these days).

I love horse riding, watercolour painting, writing (poetry, prose, blog or science) and reading, but my partner refuses to even meet the horse I exercise each week, makes no comments on my artwork and has no interest in reading anything I write! On the other hand, he likes to play golf and I have yet to visit a golf course with him!
    “...choose to believe in your own myth
    your own glamour
    your own spell
    a young woman who does this
    (even if she is just pretending)
    has everything....”
    ― Francesca Lia Block, How to (Un)cage a Girl

• Me and BF share most everything. I listen to his music and give honest feedback and so on, and sex is my biggest hobby so he's usually right there on that one. Even stuff we're not terribly interested in we'll still share, politely if nothing else. There's pretty much nothing that isn't covered in some way. I understand the golf thing tho - golfer's take that very personally and golf widows/widowers usually want nothing to do with it. Seems like a win-win in that case.
    [FONT=Trebuchet MS][COLOR="#800080"][B][SIZE=4]Woman trapped inside a woman's body![/SIZE][/COLOR][/B][/FONT]

Comment

• We share most things. I'm a musician and hubby isn't so he can't really participate on that one.

Comment

• We really like video games. He wishes we would play together, but he isn't a very encouraging game partner So we mostly play separately, sometimes the same game, and enjoy watching the other get a different experience.

We also do a lot of discussing - science, politics, etc - and manage to have civil conversations even where we disagree quite radically.

Obviously, we don't have a lot of active hobbies! I suppose that I have been quite fervent about working out lately, and I wish he'd join in, but it's not as though he could go when I do. He listens attentively when I talk about it, just as I listen attentively when he talks about what's going on at work (not really a hobby, but takes up the biggest part of his day.)
        <center><i>Nature gives us shapeless shapes,<br>Clouds and waves and flame,<br>But human expectation is that love remains the same,<br>And when it doesn’t, we point our fingers and blame.</i><br><a href="http://www.womens-health.com/boards/register.php">Register</a>|<a href="http://www.womens-health.com/boards/members/little.html">Contact Admin</a>|<a href="mailto:support*womens-health.com?subject=Forum Contact">Email Admin</a></center>

Comment

• GF and I do everything together (including her school papers ). Only thing we don't do together is go to the gym. I've gone with her to show her stuff, but I just can't work out with other people. I want to focus on exercise and if I go with the GF or a friend all we do is talk. I try to shoot down the conversations in as nice a way as possible but it just never works. We end up spending more time at the gym and the workouts tend to be more watered down.

She used to always want to work out together but she does not push the issue anymore. She gets it. We both go on our own.
          [B]"Are you serious? You're [i]bleeping[/I] THAT girl?"[/B][B] - [COLOR="#B22222"]jen1447[/COLOR][/B]

Comment

• When my hubby and I first knew each other he was really into WWF/E Wrestling, thank god he's grown out of it. We have done and still do do plenty of things together when we possibly can such as Sex, play wrestling, bike riding, walking the dog, watching movies together, sometimes watch tv shows, trying out new restaurants,hiking, camping, shopping, sometimes going to football matches, dinner with another couple, going to see comedians, playing board games/ solving puzzles, hanging out at waterstones (book shop), discuss politics and current affairs even if we disagree on certain issues.

Sometimes both may not be as enthusiastic for some of these activities where as the other is but we enjoy the fact that we are in each other's company and spending valuable time with each other. I love that feeling of bonding we have when do stuff together, for example when we first started going hiking and camping together I was initially skeptical about it and I thought I wouldn't enjoy it and at first I didn't but eventually I loved it because I was doing it with the man I loved and I was bonding with him and further sealing our relationship.

But also it is important to have your alone time or stuff you don't do together. For example, I play golf and volleyball without him mostly because when I've had him round at the golf course to be my caddy I play really awful and my swings and strokes go all over the place which gets me into Angry Portuguese Woman mode. He plays rugby without me, we don't work put together even though we have a home gym (sort of), We read different books as we have different tastes in books, we sometimes watch tv separately as he will watch his football or watch NCIS/NCIS LOS ANGELES etc and I will watch Telenovellas or shows like Vampire diaries (guilty pleasure). Sometimes I go shopping on my own and I will go out with my girlfriends and he will go out with the lads. We also have different tastes in music.
            It's all fun and games until you mess with a Portuguese girl.

-

Comment

• Originally posted by Elena_EvilEye View Post
              When my hubby and I first knew each other he was really into WWF/E Wrestling, thank god he's grown out of it. We have done and still do do plenty of things together when we possibly can such as Sex, play wrestling, bike riding, walking the dog, watching movies together, sometimes watch tv shows, trying out new restaurants,hiking, camping, shopping, sometimes going to football matches, dinner with another couple, going to see comedians, playing board games/ solving puzzles, hanging out at waterstones (book shop), discuss politics and current affairs even if we disagree on certain issues.

Sometimes both may not be as enthusiastic for some of these activities where as the other is but we enjoy the fact that we are in each other's company and spending valuable time with each other. I love that feeling of bonding we have when do stuff together, for example when we first started going hiking and camping together I was initially skeptical about it and I thought I wouldn't enjoy it and at first I didn't but eventually I loved it because I was doing it with the man I loved and I was bonding with him and further sealing our relationship.

But also it is important to have your alone time or stuff you don't do together. For example, I play golf and volleyball without him mostly because when I've had him round at the golf course to be my caddy I play really awful and my swings and strokes go all over the place which gets me into Angry Portuguese Woman mode. He plays rugby without me, we don't work put together even though we have a home gym (sort of), We read different books as we have different tastes in books, we sometimes watch tv separately as he will watch his football or watch NCIS/NCIS LOS ANGELES etc and I will watch Telenovellas or shows like Vampire diaries (guilty pleasure). Sometimes I go shopping on my own and I will go out with my girlfriends and he will go out with the lads. We also have different tastes in music.
              Wow that about how me and wife are she does her hobbies and I do mine. But we end up doing lots of other things to together with the kids or without them as we have three adult daughters and one who still a minor for a couple more years. But we plain on living 6 months a year in Cabo, Mexico and 6 month a year at are cabin in the Northern California Mountains. As we both will be finally retire and relax and spending lots of time together then enjoying life before we get to old we can't then.
              When out driving always turn left. Then, should you become lost, you can find your way home by reversing the procedure and always turning right.

Comment

• Originally posted by Motorguy View Post
                Wow that about how me and wife are she does her hobbies and I do mine. But we end up doing lots of other things to together with the kids or without them as we have three adult daughters and one who still a minor for a couple more years. But we plain on living 6 months a year in Cabo, Mexico and 6 month a year at are cabin in the Northern California Mountains. As we both will be finally retire and relax and spending lots of time together then enjoying life before we get to old we can't then.
                Can I ask what you and your wife do together, do you do more outdoor things or more intellectual things. I really hope you get your dream of the house in Mexico and the cabin in California because after 27 years of marriage you deserve it. I have this dream that when me and hubs get older we will move to Portugal to live our older years together and enjoy life even more together but that's gonna be a while away.

-

Comment

• I honestly wish the GF and I would double date more. All the doubles we have gone on ended up being disappointing. Honestly wish we were friends with a couple that are on our level so that we could double more.
                  [B]"Are you serious? You're [i]bleeping[/I] THAT girl?"[/B][B] - [COLOR="#B22222"]jen1447[/COLOR][/B]

Comment

• SA- That's a shame what has gone wrong with your double dates? My advice would be do simple things at first such as going out for dinner or even go to each other's houses for a lunch/dinner date.

I am good friends with one of my volleyball team mates (she is of Greek descent) and we do double dates at each other's homes with our husbands and they are great fun because we eat good food (she is an amazing cook) have a laugh and afterwards we usually would play a card game or a board game. Both of us like the dressing up and looking our best.

Point is try something simple

-

Comment

• Not sure what it is. The couples often don't seem that in to each other sometimes. I've noticed that the guy often sucks. The last one we went on was with this Argentinian guy (a new BF of my GF's friend). He wouldn't talk and just kept to himself. I'm usually really good at making people feel comfortable and breaking them out of their shell, but this guy would not budge. He seemed real grumpy. I even tried stroking his ego.

And Mediterranean food is amazing. Very wholesome food.

Comment

• 'Tough' men often seem to think it's silly to do stuff like double date or hang out in couples environments. (Pretty tough aren't they? Can't even handle mild social discomfort lol.)
                        [FONT=Trebuchet MS][COLOR="#800080"][B][SIZE=4]Woman trapped inside a woman's body![/SIZE][/COLOR][/B][/FONT]

Comment

• I would say yes, that the Argentinian did come off as a wannabe tough guy. The other guys though we're usually just too introverted. But even then, I can usually get introverted dudes to come out. So maybe it was a mix of being introverted and too tough.

Comment

• SA- that's not a good thing if the couple aren't into each other especially if the guy isn't much good because if one couple isn't happy then the date becomes sour, awkward and no one enjoys that (especially if the couple are arguing), Don't worry I've been there. I feel for you and your GF in regards with the Argentinian guy (maybe he didn't like your GF because she's Brazilian-only joking!) but seriously when people are in their shell things become awkward because you feel like you're doing something wrong maybe playing a game would've put a smile on him.

I agree with you I love Mediterranean Food it is amazing, diverse and incredibly delicious. I love Portuguese food, Spanish food, Italian food, Greek food, Lebanese food, Turkish food and Tunisian food. I try to cook food from all these countries I indulge in it so much that most of my diet is Mediterranean Food.

Some people just have that magical touch with food and my friend does, she made me fall in love with Greek food whenever we have dinner it is a feast and I feel pregnant at the end of it because I eat so much I struggle to move. I love her food whether it be Kleftiko (slow oven baked lamb on the bone), Bifteki (beef burgers Greek style), Gyros, Oven baked chicken with potatoes Greek style etc it is always delicious. Her husband ever since they started living together has gained more weight and it's obviously from enjoying her food, the same happened with my dad in regards to my mum's food and my husband with mine except my husband converts the fat to muscle as he works out and plays rugby. She even told me that her dad told her that her cooking was better than her mum's! Best compliment you can ever receive from your dad.

BTW does your GF cook? some of Brazilian cuisine is inspired from Portuguese Cuisine. I love the Mediterranean heritage I share with Greeks, Spaniards, Italians, Turkish etc

-

Comment

• Does anyone write a blog? and if so does your partner read it? I write a blog for diarising, philosophizing and venting stream-of-consciousness nonsense and sharing poetry and artwork but my partner doesn't have the slightest interest in seeing it (Ha! charming!). If it was the other way around I'd be avidly reading his writing and discussing posts with him!
                              “...choose to believe in your own myth
                              your own glamour
                              your own spell
                              a young woman who does this
                              (even if she is just pretending)
                              has everything....”
                              ― Francesca Lia Block, How to (Un)cage a Girl

Comment

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

• Have You Ever Done Any Online Dating? - Let's Discuss!

If you've ever done any online dating, you know there are many things that can go wrong. But for some, online dating leads to finding a soulmate. ...

09-17-2019, 11:04 AM By Chrissy M.
                              • Do You Volunteer?

I have done so for many years.

I work at a charity and have been there for over 10 years. I must admit, I love the work. Admittedly, I don't...

09-17-2019, 03:15 AM By Popcorn&Candy
                              • Do You Pluck Your Eyebrows?

I certainly do.

I like the thinner brow look. I have beautiful eyes and feel my brows frame my face. I love having groomed, neat eyebrows....

09-17-2019, 03:08 AM By Popcorn&Candy
                              • Fabulous New Boots!

I very recently bought myself a gorgeous pair of black leather boots. I spent a good 20 minutes making the decision and don't regret it!

09-17-2019, 03:02 AM By Popcorn&Candy
                              • Soon To Have Therapy

I've been in a really mixed-up place lately. So I have spoken to my doctor and she is referring me for counselling. I shall also be seeing a psychologist....

09-17-2019, 02:59 AM By Popcorn&Candy
                              Working...
                              X