• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do You love Jigsaw Puzzles And Other Games?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do You love Jigsaw Puzzles And Other Games?

I have two social groups I attend each week and I often do jigsaw puzzles! They're such fun. I don't like the 1000 piece puzzles, but I do like the 50/100/200 piece jigsaws. I also love playing cards, scrabble, Snakes & Ladders, ludo and other games. Over to you!

I haven't worked a jigsaw puzzle since I was a kid. <br />
    I recently discovered coloring book apps on my phone tho. Very relaxing and fun.

Comment

That's interesting. I would have never thought about social groups for jigsaw puzzles, but what a great opportunity for good mental stimulation and conversation. When I have girls nights at my house we sometimes like to play board games but mostly just the ones that make us laugh (laughter is the best medicine!!!).
      "Be what you're looking for."

Comment

My mother and stepfather often have a jigsaw puzzle going. When we go over, my wife and them will spend an inordinate amount of time playing it. I just do not understand. I think they like her more than me.

I can play bid whist all day. It's one of my favorite things. Whenever I'm in a group of friends or family standing around making small talk, what I'm really thinking is, "Why aren't we playing bid whist?" My mother doesn't like cards.
        "Those sowing seed with tears
        Will reap with a joyful shout." - Psalm 126

Comment

Originally posted by Stillness View Post
          I can play bid whist all day. It's one of my favorite things. Whenever I'm in a group of friends or family standing around making small talk, what I'm really thinking is, "Why aren't we playing bid whist?" My mother doesn't like cards.
          In college I would sometimes join a group of friends for all night bridge games.

As for jigsaw puzzles, it's been a while since I did one, but I used to like the 5000 piece ones. The 1000 piece ones were somewhat less challenging. When I was young, we used to do them at home as a family activity. We borrowed them from the free library.
          I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.
          Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

From a speech by Patrick Henry on March 23, 1775 at St. John's Church, Richmond, Virginia

Comment

What is bid whist? Never heard of it.

Comment

Stillness will be able to give you a better answer, but it is a card game similar to bridge, hearts and spades. Whist is supposed to be the precursor of bridge. Wikipedia has an article on it.
              I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.
              Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

From a speech by Patrick Henry on March 23, 1775 at St. John's Church, Richmond, Virginia

Comment

Only the best card game in the world, Kitty. I don't know hearts or bridge, but jns is right about spades. It's very similar.

Maybe I'll have to check bridge out.
                "Those sowing seed with tears
                Will reap with a joyful shout." - Psalm 126

Comment

I also love playing cards and scrabble. Games are such fun! Anyhow, enjoy your Christmas day!

Comment

Definitely yes! I am addicted to puzzles! They calm me down and make happy, especially when all my family gathers to work on it

Comment

Puzzles do encourage thinking processes and keeps the mind healthy. Any type of puzzle or game will do that! I do get passionate when playing Scrabble. However, I haven't been able to play with anyone for a few years now and I love scrabble. It is a very interesting game. I also love Monopoly. Card games I enjoy, too. It is great that games such as those are still being played today: even when there're computer games available. Good old fashioned board games are where it's at!

Comment

What an interesting topic on the forum. I love them. The logic games are gorgeous. Most phones can install many puzzles that will come in handy when you have a few seconds of free time. Depending on the game you are playing, it can have many rewards, other than relieving boredom, it can stimulate your brain and help you communicate with friends. We, as people, are curious creatures who by their nature like to solve problems; a puzzle game gives you this opportunity. I think that the more you do something, the better you will be doing it. Playing puzzle games is like thinking, so they can become a better thinker. The thought that you perform while playing puzzles is different, for example, how to train, you will use different aspects of your brain in unique ways. The more you play puzzles, the better you think. Think about all the things that you can do with an improved ability of thinking.
                        Puzzle games are portable, because they are installed on your phone or similar small mobile device, and you can play them anywhere. It's like unlimited entertainment on demand. You can get new games at any time convenient for you with a simple download, and most of them can play freely. They belong to a random category of games, which means that you do not need to devote much time to learning the rules of the game. In addition, you do not need to invest much time in the game to receive benefits.
                        Some puzzles are multiplayer games; they give you the opportunity to communicate with friends and fight with your wits. There are many opportunities for cooperation, if you are a person who would prefer to win with friends, and not beat them. In any case, playing with friends should strengthen your connection.

Comment

I love your post, Loric2014! Puzzles are wonderful and really engage the brain. I love figuring things out and puzzles allow me to do that.

It is very interesting reading people's experiences and views of this subject. I definitely love jigsaw puzzles, too. Although I prefer the larger sized jigsaws.

Comment

Working...
                          X