• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse

Vote on the New WH Logo! We need YOUR help!

Everyone, we need YOUR help! Take a moment to cast your vote on the new WH logo! Vote Here!
See more
See less

Moon Garden

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moon Garden

I've working out plans for some low water yards that can be enjoyed and used by my tenants. One of the things I'm planning is a moon garden. This is a special garden, positioned for moon veiwing and uses plants that either bloom at dusk or release their fragrance then. Traditionally any seating is white or at least pale colors and it is a peaceful, meditative place.

Anyone planned one of these?
    We can only learn to love by loving. - Iris Mudoch, British writer

I had never even heard of these until about a year ago. We built a house and moved to Vegas, my front yard is landscaped, but other than rock, we haven't done anything with the back yet. I ran across the idea in some magazine or something exploring low water landscape alternatives, some of them are gorgeous!

We are going to start our back landscape in the fall after the heat and I've this to DH, at least a portion of it anyways. We spend a lot of time outside after dark especially in the summer time and I think it would be great!

Haven't gotten to plan yet, but hoping to soon.
    Friendship Prayer
    May the fleas of a thousand camels infest the crotch of the person who screws up your day and may their arms be too short to scratch.
    Amen

Whoever said anything was possible obviously never tried slamming a revolving door.

Comment

The book, Garden Witchery, has plant lists and ideas. Since I manage apartments, I have to work with some limits but that just requires more creativity.

Comment

Thanks! I'll take a look at the book. I have an HOA that all plans have to be approved by, the plants have to be in our preapproved plant book. So I'm with you on the creativity!
        Friendship Prayer
        May the fleas of a thousand camels infest the crotch of the person who screws up your day and may their arms be too short to scratch.
        Amen

Whoever said anything was possible obviously never tried slamming a revolving door.

Comment

That sounds really nice. I'd love to have a moon garden and have a fountain in the middle so when the moon comes out it reflects on the water. Sounds like a really cool project you're working on.

Comment

That is a refreshing idea. I like it. Is adding some solar lighting part of it?
            What counts in making a happy marriage is not so much how compatible you are but how you deal with incompatibility. - Leo Tolstoy

The clearest explanation for failure of any marriage is that two people are incompatible; that is, one is male and the other female. - Anna Quindlen

Register! | Rules/FAQ |Contact Mod| Contact Admin

Comment

Since the plants in a moon garden only release their scent at dusk or in the dark, you don't want too much lighting. Just enough to be able to navigate safely. I do like solar outdoor lighting although they can be a pain to change the batteries in when they quit holding a charge.

Comment

I am very excited to do some gardening. When is the best time to do this? Will this fall be ok, or wait till spring?
                What counts in making a happy marriage is not so much how compatible you are but how you deal with incompatibility. - Leo Tolstoy

The clearest explanation for failure of any marriage is that two people are incompatible; that is, one is male and the other female. - Anna Quindlen

Register! | Rules/FAQ |Contact Mod| Contact Admin

Comment

That is a nice concept. I would like to make a moon garden soon. Its relaxing and helps alleviates stress.

Comment

Got most of my moon garden planted this evening. Really couldn't afford it but my spirit needed it. It my Solstice gift to myself and my neighbors. Planted delphinium, wooly lambs ear, foxglove, phlox, rosemary, pansy and lavender. Also putting in some herbs in another section. Many of the moon plants are toxic so I don't want them mixed with the eatable ones.
                    I'm really happy with it.

Comment

I would love to have a moon garden. I am lucky enough to have a blank canvas atm, with one section set aside for a large pond and waterfall for my son's turtle and fish. I will have a bridge going over the pond to a secluded seating area which would be perfect for incorporating 'moon plants'.

What type of plant varieties would be best for around a pond? I am not big on flowers unless they are tropical or unusual

Comment

Hey. I liked your idea. I also became interested in this. Landscaping the moon at night is a great way to enjoy white or light, nightly flowering plants, in addition to those that release their intoxicating scents in the evening. White flowers and light foliage reflect the moonlight. Not only do these beautiful spectacles see or smell, but these nocturnal gardens also attract important pollinators, such as moths and bats. I read that creating a garden at night is very simple, and after its completion it will provide hours of relaxing nightly enjoyment. When designing this type of garden, carefully study its location. Having a place where you can sit and take a look and smell, this is one of the most important aspects of the lunar garden. Therefore, you may want to consider the garden around the patio or deck. In addition, you can simply find a night garden near the window of the house or add a bench, swings or other comfortable chairs in the garden itself. While plants with white or light flowers are common to the lunar garden, you also need to consider the foliage - with green leaves contrasting with white flowers, while silvery or gray, blue-green and variegated foliage also improves the garden. In fact, all-white gardens depend heavily on this bright or mottled foliage to enhance its overall effect.

Comment

That sounds beautiful. I love wandering around a garden at night, with the moon out and the fresh breeze. Heaven.

Comment

Working...
                          X