Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Home Maintenence Tips

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• Popcorn&Candy
    replied
    Hello, OliviaWJ. I love your post. I don't actually own a dishwasher, though: this is because I live in an apartment. BUT if I did, I would use your advice. I am sure many find it helpful. Dishwashers are valuable and do need taking care of: as with all appliances. Anyhow, a great post.

Leave a comment:

• Olivia WJ
    replied

Hi everyone, I wanted to share some useful tips on how to clean your dishwasher, We take our appliances for granted none more so than the dishwasher. Its primary function is to clean, so it makes sense that it'll always be clean, right? Wrong.If you use your dishwasher a lot, it can easily get gunked up with leftover food, grease, and soap scum. This leads to an appliance that smells more like a sewer than a cleaning device. On top of that, the dishes that come out of it might not be as sanitary as they should.

My daily routine for keeping my Bosch dishwasher clean (this is the model is to make sure that the drain is clear every night when I'm loading the last load of dishes.
    Then I spray down the inside of the door and around the door where the dishwasher seal with diluted Pine Sol. This helps with odors, degreasing, and wiping any leftover food off of the door as well. Don't forget, I also try to stay on top of keeping the dishes completely cleared of food and rinsed before loading as well.

I'd love to hear your thoughts. How do you clean your dishwasher? Do you clean your dishwasher? If so, I'd love to hear any tips or tricks you may have to keep it sanitized and smelling fresh.
    Last edited by jns; 04-22-2018, 09:30 AM. Reason: Outbound links are not allowed.

Leave a comment:

• sarahlee20
    replied
    Originally posted by KMonte85 View Post
    A new one I just learned recently after my brother's crappy truck was parked in my driveway...

If you have oil spots on the driveway (or clothes) use oven cleaner to remove them.
    or for oil spots from cars or what not use kitty litter.

Leave a comment:

• sourpuss
    replied
    My advice: Plan on doing everything twice, making at least 5 trips to the hardware store for one item, and plan on every project taking at least twice, if not three times as long as you think it should.

Leave a comment:

• WildChild
    replied
    An addition to Faerunner's tip, you need to flush the sediment out of your WH periodically. That's why it has a drain, if there is a nearby floor drain (there really should be) drain it there, if not, hook up a hose and run it to a toilet or even out the window (make sure you won't fill a window well).

Never leave an empty WH on. It will keep trying to heat and will ruin it.

Leave a comment:

• Faerunner
    replied
    Here's a good one that can save some money and probably lengthen the life of your water heater: check the temperature setting on your water heater!

Ours is old and has 3 settings: Hot, Hotter, Very Hot. I wish I was kidding... we've discovered that somewhere between Hotter and Very Hot is the boiling point, and when we first turned the water on at this place I could make tea by turning on the tap and letting the hot water run - it came out THAT hot.

If you can't stick your hand in your hot water when it's been running, you can probably afford to turn it down a bit. I can't think of anything that requires scalding water on a regular basis - your laundry will wash just fine in slightly cooler water.

Also found this one out from a helpful boss: Don't use mulch around the foundation of your house! It's an open invitation to termites and other pests, since it's really just piles of rotting wood... if you must have the appearance of mulch, most home and garden centers carry recycled tire mulch which is longer-lasting, does not leach color, and comes in rolls and tree circles so that you can cover exactly what you want, and not worry about it being kicked or blown out of the bed!

Leave a comment:

• johny22
    replied
    Nice one ..Thanks fro sharing with us ...and im adding some more tips for Monthly Home Maintenance...
    1. Check air filters. Replace if dirty.
    2. Inspect foundation walls for signs of termites. This is a must do in subtropical climates like Central Florida. Look for tunnels or dirt bridges, and contact a professional exterminator if you suspect a problem.
    3. Inspect and clean gutters. All straps, clips, and spikes should be fastened tightly. Flush debris from downspouts and make sure that they and splashbacks direct water at least 3 feet away from your foundation.
    4. Inspect roof eaves for leak stains. Check for loose, cracked, or missing shingles and for loose granules on asphalt shingle roofs. Go into your attic and check underneath the roof for stains that indicate leaking. Asphalt shingle roofs can generally be expected to last 10 - 12 years in Florida.
    5. Check hoses around washing machine for leaks. Replace if necessary.

Hope these will helpful to you ...

**outbound link removed**
    Last edited by x.st.angel.x; 03-23-2010, 07:59 PM. Reason: Removing outbound link

Leave a comment:

• Futureboy
    replied
    If you expensive brushes you are supposed to use hair conditioner

Personally I tend to use cheap ones and chuck them

Leave a comment:

• WildChild
    replied
    I do a lot of painting and do this too. I've found that with the oil based paints the brush will "keep" if well wrapped, for overnight.
    When painting with good quality brushes (for some jobs I use a throw away cheepie) clean them every couple hours so you don't get paint build up high in the brush where it will dry while you are working.

For clean up after water based paints, use dish soap, it works well.

Leave a comment:

• KMonte85
    replied
    Originally posted by Futureboy View Post
    No sure I should tell my 'man' tricks but here goes
    Hehe! That comment made me think of another 'man trick' that I've mastered - OPENING PICKLE JARS (and the like..)

Not really a "home maint" tip, but...... If you take the butt end of a butterknife (or something like it) and whack it around the lid of the pickle jar it loosens the top and it comes right off with little-no effort.

Leave a comment:

• Futureboy
    replied
    No sure I should tell my 'man' tricks but here goes:

When painting with Gloss paint and you don't finish don't clean the brush just put it in water over night. This stops the paint drying and you can carry on the next day

When painting with emulsion paint and you don't finist put the roller or brush in a plastic bag over night. This stops the paint drying and you can carry on the next day

Leave a comment:

• KMonte85
    replied
    A new one I just learned recently after my brother's crappy truck was parked in my driveway...

If you have oil spots on the driveway (or clothes) use oven cleaner to remove them.

Leave a comment:

• WildChild
    replied
    Originally posted by Futureboy View Post
    Put the wrench on and stand on it at the very end of the lever or use an extention bar to additional leverage
    Sorry what was that about a caring man
    Problem is when they were put on with an air wench.
    Really, there is nothing to compare with a man who cares!

Leave a comment:

• Futureboy
    replied
    Originally posted by WildChild View Post
    Nonsense! A vibrator cannot begin to compare with a caring man and no matter how much I learn I still can't get the lug nuts loose on a tire.
    Put the wrench on and stand on it at the very end of the lever or use an extention bar to additional leverage
    Sorry what was that about a caring man

Leave a comment:

• WildChild
    replied
    Nonsense! A vibrator cannot begin to compare with a caring man and no matter how much I learn I still can't get the lug nuts loose on a tire.

Leave a comment:

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

• Career Mom Guilt Is Real. Have You Ever Experienced It? - Let's Discuss!

Mom guilt is real! I love my profession and I love being a mom, but sometimes balancing the two can leave us moms feeling less than enough in both....

Today, 10:46 AM By Rebecca Z.
  • Pain Management

Dear All,

I am Tim and new to this forum. I really like guiding people on various topics so if you have any advise for me or want an advice...

Yesterday, 04:33 AM By Timf
  • Abominable Film

I went to see this at the cinema with my sister and was blown away: by the quality of the film, the special effects, the storyline. Definitely one of...

10-20-2019, 04:48 AM By Popcorn&Candy
  • Reply to Healthcare Apps

That sounds like a really good idea, Anya Joe. Keeping track of the calories you're burning must work. To me, I wouldn't use such a device myself, but...

10-20-2019, 04:41 AM By Popcorn&Candy
  • Reply to Hello All

Hi, ConnieBlake. I am a regular member on here and look forward to offering you any advice you might need.

There're loads of people with...

10-20-2019, 04:38 AM By Popcorn&Candy

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

Working...
X