Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Home Maintenence Tips

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• Home Maintenence Tips

It occured to me that I am learning new stuff all the time and I do this for a living. Thought it would be useful to have a thread for tips and tricks to maintence, cleaning and repairs.

Here's a little one; when locks get "sticky" don't use oil or other types of lubrication on them. The inside of a lock should be graphited. You can pick up a little tube if graphite for $3 or $4 at places that cut keys. These are usually designed so that you can insert the tip a tiny ways into the key slot of the lock and just give a gentle squeeze to get some graphite into there, then insert your key and turn it several times to work the graphite in. Alteratively you can put some graphit powder on the key itself and then insert it into the lock and work it back and forth.

Be careful, this is messy stuff and doesn't always wash out.

• When replacing a light switch, look at the ON/OFF markings. When the switch is up it is on and the word "ON" may appear on the lower part of the switch. If your switch reads NO on top and FFO on the bottom - it's upside down.

Comment

• Originally posted by WildChild View Post
      When replacing a light switch, look at the ON/OFF markings. When the switch is up it is on and the word "ON" may appear on the lower part of the switch. If your switch reads NO on top and FFO on the bottom - it's upside down.
      Except in europe where the switch convension is the opposite.

Comment

• I thought about after I posted this. Each country has different standards. But if it says ON Off, if you can read them correctly they should be right side up.

Comment

• Between this thread and the vibrator thread I fear mens usefulness is limited to lawn mowing and jar opening

Comment

• Nonsense! A vibrator cannot begin to compare with a caring man and no matter how much I learn I still can't get the lug nuts loose on a tire.

Comment

• Originally posted by WildChild View Post
              Nonsense! A vibrator cannot begin to compare with a caring man and no matter how much I learn I still can't get the lug nuts loose on a tire.
              Put the wrench on and stand on it at the very end of the lever or use an extention bar to additional leverage
              Sorry what was that about a caring man

Comment

• Originally posted by Futureboy View Post
                Put the wrench on and stand on it at the very end of the lever or use an extention bar to additional leverage
                Sorry what was that about a caring man
                Problem is when they were put on with an air wench.
                Really, there is nothing to compare with a man who cares!

Comment

• A new one I just learned recently after my brother's crappy truck was parked in my driveway...

If you have oil spots on the driveway (or clothes) use oven cleaner to remove them.

Comment

• No sure I should tell my 'man' tricks but here goes:

When painting with Gloss paint and you don't finish don't clean the brush just put it in water over night. This stops the paint drying and you can carry on the next day

When painting with emulsion paint and you don't finist put the roller or brush in a plastic bag over night. This stops the paint drying and you can carry on the next day

Comment

• Originally posted by Futureboy View Post
                      No sure I should tell my 'man' tricks but here goes
                      Hehe! That comment made me think of another 'man trick' that I've mastered - OPENING PICKLE JARS (and the like..)

Not really a "home maint" tip, but...... If you take the butt end of a butterknife (or something like it) and whack it around the lid of the pickle jar it loosens the top and it comes right off with little-no effort.

Comment

• I do a lot of painting and do this too. I've found that with the oil based paints the brush will "keep" if well wrapped, for overnight.
                        When painting with good quality brushes (for some jobs I use a throw away cheepie) clean them every couple hours so you don't get paint build up high in the brush where it will dry while you are working.

For clean up after water based paints, use dish soap, it works well.

Comment

• If you expensive brushes you are supposed to use hair conditioner

Personally I tend to use cheap ones and chuck them

Comment

• Nice one ..Thanks fro sharing with us ...and im adding some more tips for Monthly Home Maintenance...
                            1. Check air filters. Replace if dirty.
                            2. Inspect foundation walls for signs of termites. This is a must do in subtropical climates like Central Florida. Look for tunnels or dirt bridges, and contact a professional exterminator if you suspect a problem.
                            3. Inspect and clean gutters. All straps, clips, and spikes should be fastened tightly. Flush debris from downspouts and make sure that they and splashbacks direct water at least 3 feet away from your foundation.
                            4. Inspect roof eaves for leak stains. Check for loose, cracked, or missing shingles and for loose granules on asphalt shingle roofs. Go into your attic and check underneath the roof for stains that indicate leaking. Asphalt shingle roofs can generally be expected to last 10 - 12 years in Florida.
                            5. Check hoses around washing machine for leaks. Replace if necessary.

Hope these will helpful to you ...

**outbound link removed**
                            Last edited by x.st.angel.x; 03-23-2010, 07:59 PM. Reason: Removing outbound link

Comment

• Here's a good one that can save some money and probably lengthen the life of your water heater: check the temperature setting on your water heater!

Ours is old and has 3 settings: Hot, Hotter, Very Hot. I wish I was kidding... we've discovered that somewhere between Hotter and Very Hot is the boiling point, and when we first turned the water on at this place I could make tea by turning on the tap and letting the hot water run - it came out THAT hot.

If you can't stick your hand in your hot water when it's been running, you can probably afford to turn it down a bit. I can't think of anything that requires scalding water on a regular basis - your laundry will wash just fine in slightly cooler water.

Also found this one out from a helpful boss: Don't use mulch around the foundation of your house! It's an open invitation to termites and other pests, since it's really just piles of rotting wood... if you must have the appearance of mulch, most home and garden centers carry recycled tire mulch which is longer-lasting, does not leach color, and comes in rolls and tree circles so that you can cover exactly what you want, and not worry about it being kicked or blown out of the bed!

Comment

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

• Career Mom Guilt Is Real. Have You Ever Experienced It? - Let's Discuss!

Mom guilt is real! I love my profession and I love being a mom, but sometimes balancing the two can leave us moms feeling less than enough in both....

Today, 10:46 AM By Rebecca Z.
                              • Pain Management

Dear All,

I am Tim and new to this forum. I really like guiding people on various topics so if you have any advise for me or want an advice...

Yesterday, 04:33 AM By Timf
                              • Abominable Film

I went to see this at the cinema with my sister and was blown away: by the quality of the film, the special effects, the storyline. Definitely one of...

10-20-2019, 04:48 AM By Popcorn&Candy
                              • Reply to Healthcare Apps

That sounds like a really good idea, Anya Joe. Keeping track of the calories you're burning must work. To me, I wouldn't use such a device myself, but...

10-20-2019, 04:41 AM By Popcorn&Candy
                              • Reply to Hello All

Hi, ConnieBlake. I am a regular member on here and look forward to offering you any advice you might need.

There're loads of people with...

10-20-2019, 04:38 AM By Popcorn&Candy

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

Working...
                              X