Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

who has used the radio fence for dogs?

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• who has used the radio fence for dogs?

i have 2 very beautiful small dogs
    just moved to the country and my garden is wide open
    so i cant let my 2 out unless they are on leads
    iv heard of this radio fence where the dogs wear a collor and if they go past the area where the transmitter is it shock's them ( i know!!)
    but iv been walking up the road from where i live and i see a few houses have dogs and no gates or fence and the dogs are standing barking and you know they just want to run out and say hi but they wont go across the line,they dont seem to be in pain or anything so i just want to know have any of you use this, the guilt is killing me because i have a run for them when im at work and they hate it,would just love to let them run mad around the garden and know that they will be safe

• I've never used the fence on my dog... but I have a neighbor and a coworker who have both used it and neither are completely satisfied with them.

First of all, if your have a sensitive-temperment dog (you know - the ones that get scared by their own shadow), the collars will do more than shock the dog physically - it will scare the begeezus out of him and make him fearful of going outside, which leads to accidents inside.

Second, they are not fullproof like an actual fence is. My neighbors' two little ****zhu things get out all the time and always end up down the road at my house because they want to play with or bark at my dog. If there is even 6 inches of yard that is left uncovered by the transmitter, the dogs will find it and they WILL get out.

Or they will just get gutsy like my co-worker's collie. That dog figured out that once you get a small distance beyond the fence, the collar quits shocking.. so she just ran right through, got zapped on her way out and once she was out a smidge, the collar could no longer read the fence and stopped shocking, so she was able to run about the countryside all day long...

Basically, if you want to be sure - get a real fence or a good sized kennel, or keep using the run you have for them, or keep them inside when you are away from the house.

Comment

• thank you kmonte85,thats kinda what i was thinking,one of dogs betsy a terrior is very nervous of everything and my other a cava tzu baxter is a nut-job she'd run right through the buzz and then prob get caught on the other side...
      i think i'll go ahead and do the fenceing the old fashioned way..thanx for reply x

Comment

• Originally posted by auds80 View Post
        i have 2 very beautiful small dogs
        just moved to the country and my garden is wide open
        so i cant let my 2 out unless they are on leads
        iv heard of this radio fence where the dogs wear a collor and if they go past the area where the transmitter is it shock's them ( i know!!)
        but iv been walking up the road from where i live and i see a few houses have dogs and no gates or fence and the dogs are standing barking and you know they just want to run out and say hi but they wont go across the line,they dont seem to be in pain or anything so i just want to know have any of you use this, the guilt is killing me because i have a run for them when im at work and they hate it,would just love to let them run mad around the garden and know that they will be safe
        I have gotten a new puppy that wants to greet and play with everyone who passes by or comes to our house so we got one of those invisible fences that you are talking about. After the first 2 or 3 times of walking past the point and the puppy getting shocked she has learned where she can and can not go and now 3 months later we can take her collar off and she still will not go past the point. She is 6 months old now! Just let me tell you the box explains everything and if you show your dogs where the danger point is before you turn it up to where it is supposed to be for your dogs they will remember and will not go past that point. Also it does not just straight up shock them it gives them a warning ding like a chirp and then after like 30 seconds if they do not move back then it shocks them for only like a second, just like a sting, but you control how strong the shock is, it is not dangerous nor does it hurt them.

Comment

• One additional thing to think about - I guess in favor of putting in a 'real' fence - is that, while the radio fence may keep your dogs in the yard, it won't keep other dogs and animals out. My sister's little dog picked a fight (barking, yapping etc) with a larger dog outside of her yard one day. The big dog just ran in and snatched her dog up and that was the end of that. Yeah. Go with the chain-link.
          Pat

Comment

• omg!! i never thought of that

Comment

• I work at a fence co and get a few people who call a year who've spent 2-3K getting a invisible fence and it just didnt work. Lots of dogs get out of the fence and are gone, that's the most common complaint I get.

Comment

• they got real bad side effects , cause electricity though minor attacks on the brain directly . dont use it on your friends and dogs are the best friends if you really consider them as friends .

Comment

• I agree with HealthyRelationship 10; the invisible fence is great but you definitely have to where the fence is and work with them. I have bigger dogs and when we first started using the invisible fence we made the mistake of thinking the dog would just get close and know to back off. It's not quite that easy. We found it is best to walk the dog the perimeter of the fence each day for a couple of weeks and get them used to what they feel as they get close to the fence after that we were golden. It works great for us especially because we have a home owners association that doesn't allow actual fences.
                  Last edited by WildChild; 01-22-2011, 01:33 AM. Reason: outbound link

Comment

• I think it sounds like you love your dogs and don't want them to get hurt or killed by running out into the dangers that may exsist beyond their safe area close to home... but you also don't want to cause them physical pain and emotional distress with a shock collar. You wouldn't put one on a child, you shouldn't put one on a dog... sorry thats just how I feel. Kids can get into danger and they even know how to open gates.. which dogs don't... but it would still be considered HORRRID abuse to use a shock collar on a child... why don't people feel the same outrage and consider it a horrid abuse of an animal?

Please re-consider obtaining a shock system, and if you can't build a fence around your property ... why not opt for keeping the dogs inside while you are not home, and only having them outside, on leads or where you are there to supervise them? Taking them for walks or to the dog park will get them plenty of exercise.
                    Scars remind us of where we've been...they don't have to dictate where we're going.

Comment

• electric fences are used all the time for cattle and it is not considered abusive. it works the same for dogs. please remember tho, that the fence is just a tool. you still have to train the dog to stay inside the bounderaries. the fence usually comes with a video showing you how to train your dog. i live in the country and have 3 acres of land. i have trained my dog to stay in a one acre radius with the help of the electric fence tool.. it took me one whole summer to train him. it has been two years now and it has been over a year since i have even turned the fence on. he just knows where he is allowed and stays there. oh yea... and he only got shocked twice and then never went near the fence again. my dog is a rhodesian ridgeback and very hiper. look online and you can find places that tell you how the fence works. you put up flags, and then train with positive reinforcement. if done properly it is a very humane way to protect your dog.

Comment

• I have a friend who had one for her dog. It worked great ... until something went wrong with it and it stopped working. The connection got broken somewhere. The dog got out and was hit by a car. I would encourage you to put up a fence. I know it's expensive, but it's worth it.

Comment

• Radio fans are a nice way to set general, temporary pet boundaries. They are also Portable & adjustable. It would be helpful for you because you have an open garden. It works, you only need to set boundaries once, then the transmitter sends radio signals to the receiver collar your pet wears.
                          Get Home Design Ideas---> fashionhomestyle

Comment

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

• Do You Volunteer?

I have done so for many years.

I work at a charity and have been there for over 10 years. I must admit, I love the work. Admittedly, I don't...

Today, 03:15 AM By Popcorn&Candy
                          • Do You Pluck Your Eyebrows?

I certainly do.

I like the thinner brow look. I have beautiful eyes and feel my brows frame my face. I love having groomed, neat eyebrows....

Today, 03:08 AM By Popcorn&Candy
                          • Fabulous New Boots!

I very recently bought myself a gorgeous pair of black leather boots. I spent a good 20 minutes making the decision and don't regret it!

Today, 03:02 AM By Popcorn&Candy
                          • Soon To Have Therapy

I've been in a really mixed-up place lately. So I have spoken to my doctor and she is referring me for counselling. I shall also be seeing a psychologist....

Today, 02:59 AM By Popcorn&Candy
                          • Do You Play The Postcode Lottery?

I do! Although I have not won anything yet. Still, it is worth the chance of winning some money.

What about you? What are your reasons for...

Today, 02:53 AM By Popcorn&Candy

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

• Do You Volunteer?

I have done so for many years.

I work at a charity and have been there for over 10 years. I must admit, I love the work. Admittedly, I don't...

Today, 03:15 AM By Popcorn&Candy
                          • Do You Pluck Your Eyebrows?

I certainly do.

I like the thinner brow look. I have beautiful eyes and feel my brows frame my face. I love having groomed, neat eyebrows....

Today, 03:08 AM By Popcorn&Candy
                          • Fabulous New Boots!

I very recently bought myself a gorgeous pair of black leather boots. I spent a good 20 minutes making the decision and don't regret it!

Today, 03:02 AM By Popcorn&Candy
                          • Soon To Have Therapy

I've been in a really mixed-up place lately. So I have spoken to my doctor and she is referring me for counselling. I shall also be seeing a psychologist....

Today, 02:59 AM By Popcorn&Candy
                          • Do You Play The Postcode Lottery?

I do! Although I have not won anything yet. Still, it is worth the chance of winning some money.

What about you? What are your reasons for...

Today, 02:53 AM By Popcorn&Candy
                          Working...
                          X