What's in your garden ?

Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's in your garden ?

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• What's in your garden ?

What are you growing or plan to grow in your garden ?

In ours:
    - few varieties of salads
    - Chives
    - Radish
    - Varieties of berries

Plus the trees (apple, apricot, cherry)
    Behold the presence of the Father in all beings...

• Hi Virgile,

I would love to learn how to grow my own supply of fresh fruit and vegetables so that I do not have to depend on the capitalist corporations that are the feeding puppets to all things bad in this world.

But it is made difficult when you have no house with a garden.
    I do not see where else I could grow my stuff.

One day though, a definate aspiration of mine is to grow many things

...and no not what is in my trousers to all those with a wild imagination on here
    I am going to tell you what you don't want to hear!
    Advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer but wish we didn't

Comment

• Weeds at the moment! Still haven't bought a disc for my tractor yet. But I'll get one soon and get it planted. I just hope I don't wait until it's too late. If that does happen, well... I'll just have to put out a food plot for the animals for winter. They have to eat too!!!

Comment

• I have planted strawberries next to my ornamental plants as part of the landscape in my front lawn. In the backyard, I have snow peas, a wide variety of peppers, tomatoes, cilantro, stringed beans, more strawberries, onions, garlic, bok choy and a couple of trees that NEED to be planted really soon - apple and peach. All the veggies are organic. I also have some Asian mint and Thai basil in pots indoors by my bay window close to the kitchen, hoping it could withstand the next winter.

The Asian mint , I just grew from what I bought) cuttings from the Asian store's veggetable aisle. I soaked it in water until it grew roots and potted it. I have a lot of them now. Want some?

Comment

• V! I totally forgot about chives, thank you! Now I'm off to the nursery after work to get me some (too lazy and too late for me to start my own).... I knew somethin was missing from my gardening repertoire!

Comment

• Hey guys, I haven't used fresh chives in my cooking - would you help me out so I can include it in my potted indoor herbs as well?

Comment

• sure thing Cat! What would you like to know?

Chives are pretty easy to grow - they need a pretty sunny spot and like to have the soil kept moist. Cut them at will for use in cooking. When flowers start to grow, cut the whole plant down and they'll come back fresh again (just like leaf lettuce if you have any experience with that!)

Cooking with them is easy as pie, anything you'd use onion in - feel free to throw some fresh chives in!

Comment

• Gotcha, KMonte. I will do that. Thank you so much.

Comment

• I got some carrot and radish seeds right now. The weather is not yet good enough to go plant them in the box. But inside I bought my herbs! lol. I love to cook, I am not very good at it but I still love to do it, and I have always wanted to grow herbs instead of going to the store and buying the fresh packaged ones that die in a week. I have chives, sweet basil, parsley, oregano, and thyme. They are in nice little bushels right now cause I bought them at the greenhouse already like that, saves soooo much growing time.
                  There are those who believe that dictionaries should not merely reflect the times but also protect English from the mindless assaults of the trendy.

Comment

• I have a container garden of vegetables (that I keep killing, and my husband keeps replanting. Bless him!) So, my whole garden is on my front porch. You don't need a lot of room or fancy pots to make it happen - half of the vegetables are in converted paint buckets, and my potatoes are growing in a RubberMaid tote!
                    <center><i>Nature gives us shapeless shapes,<br>Clouds and waves and flame,<br>But human expectation is that love remains the same,<br>And when it doesn’t, we point our fingers and blame.</i><br><a href="http://www.womens-health.com/boards/register.php">Register</a>|<a href="http://www.womens-health.com/boards/members/little.html">Contact Admin</a>|<a href="mailto:support*womens-health.com?subject=Forum Contact">Email Admin</a></center>

Comment

• This is becoming a really thread !!!

It's giving an idea for a new thread.
                      Can't start before this one dries out

Next thread: Post a picture of your garden !

Comment

• I dug a triangle shaped hole over the last year. It was going to be a nice sized pond/water garden. 8'x11' & almost 4 ft deep. I dug it all out with hand tools & the last foot was limestone. Had it all cleaned up & ready for the liner, then I changed my mind. I still made a pond & built up a little waterfall, but I burried a smaller preformed liner & used the rest of the space as more of a bog garden. As hot & dry as it gets here, I'm not sure how the bog garden part will do, buy so far so good. I've got my lilies split & didn't kill my lotus... yet, parrots feather, a couple different cannas, spider lilie & a leafy plant my brother gave me, he said it was called lacie tree

Comment

• It's a constant battle to fight the slugs without using anything chemical

Comment

• Lol. Let me know if you have any good tips for slugs. I was transplanting from the pot my brother gave me, & the bottom was full of em! Really gross. Lol. I can't believe I used to play with these when I was little. Ewwugghh!

Comment

• Originally posted by Virgile View Post
                              It's a constant battle to fight the slugs without using anything chemical
                              Egg shells! Squish them up and put around plants. My father is an organic gardener and he swears by this, the shells are like glass to the little critters, so they stay away.

Great thread V, I love gardening. Currently only growing flowers as its a little too convienient to pop to dad's and pinch fruit and veg

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

Working...
                              X