Women’s Health Interactive Forums

  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how safe are microwaves?

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All
new posts

  • how safe are microwaves?

    A website i visited said microwave ovens pose three different kinds of health threats. Will you say what you think of these? Somewhere i also heard when cooled microwaved water was used to water plants, the plant soon died out.
    Microwave Facts

    • The microwave radiation itself can leak out and damage human cells and tissues.
    • Microwaved foods have been shown to elevate cholesterol and stress and decrease white blood cells.
    • All appliances working on electricity produce a toxic electromagnetic field (EMF) of approximately 60 hertz. This is over and above potential microwave leakage.

  • Well why would you use microwave water to water your plants. I never seen anyone who's ever done that.
    There's never been any 100% test to prove that microwaves are not safe products to use with food products.
    When out driving always turn left. Then, should you become lost, you can find your way home by reversing the procedure and always turning right.

    Comment


    • This all sounds like the hoopla they were proporting back in the 50's and 60's about microwaves.
      That which we forget may as well never really happened.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by sam00 View Post
        The microwave radiation itself can leak out and damage human cells and tissues.
        Microwaved foods have been shown to elevate cholesterol and stress and decrease white blood cells.
        All appliances working on electricity produce a toxic electromagnetic field (EMF) of approximately 60 hertz. This is over and above potential microwave leakage.
        Since the advent of electricity, people have been dying in droves. More people die each year in the USA (60Hz electricity) than in any country in Europe (50Hz electricity).

        The biggest source of leaked microwave radiation is the cell phone.

        Cholesterol is necessary for creating estrogen and testosterone.
        I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.
        ...
        Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

        From a speech by Patrick Henry on March 23, 1775 at St. John's Church, Richmond, Virginia

        Comment


        • Don't own a microwave for a number of reasons. Why would you own one? Buy a small electrical oven instead. It will take a few minutes longer but the food at least won't taste like garbage.

          I have not nuked my food once in all my adult life. Just... Nasty...

          The microwave does in fact emit radiation, though the FDA says that the amount emitted does not pose a health risk, but when it makes the food taste like crap, why bother? Unless you are eating foods meant to be microwaved (those foods though are probably more harmful for your health than the radiation, so don't eat them).

          What usually ticks me off are lazy parents that nuke their baby's milk.

          Edit: I believe that microwaves do kill the food's nutritional value though. But if you have any doubts, just go for the alternative (small electric ovens), the food will taste much better anyway and it will keep it's flavor.
          [B]"Are you serious? You're [i]bleeping[/I] THAT girl?"[/B][B] - [COLOR="#B22222"]jen1447[/COLOR][/B]

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Motorguy View Post
            Well why would you use microwave water to water your plants. I never seen anyone who's ever done that.
            There's never been any 100% test to prove that microwaves are not safe products to use with food products.
            I think that was an experiment. Anyway, i recently read an article by goodhousekeeping on facts and myths on the microwave ('2014).

            Comment


            • Emission of microwave radiation from an oven is very small. There is a built-in Faraday cage in the oven to prevent leakage . Honestly, as a Scientist, I believe that far more radiation damage is done by sun exposure than by cooking your peas in the microwave.
              “...choose to believe in your own myth
              your own glamour
              your own spell
              a young woman who does this
              (even if she is just pretending)
              has everything....”
              ― Francesca Lia Block, How to (Un)cage a Girl

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Something_Awesome View Post
                Don't own a microwave for a number of reasons. Why would you own one? Buy a small electrical oven instead. It will take a few minutes longer but the food at least won't taste like garbage.

                I have not nuked my food once in all my adult life. Just... Nasty...

                The microwave does in fact emit radiation, though the FDA says that the amount emitted does not pose a health risk, but when it makes the food taste like crap, why bother? Unless you are eating foods meant to be microwaved (those foods though are probably more harmful for your health than the radiation, so don't eat them).

                What usually ticks me off are lazy parents that nuke their baby's milk.

                Edit: I believe that microwaves do kill the food's nutritional value though. But if you have any doubts, just go for the alternative (small electric ovens), the food will taste much better anyway and it will keep it's flavor.
                There was comment from a washingtonpost article that said: Best bet... get a reliable microwave detector, know how to read it, and check your oven out. Ours emits dangerous levels of microwaves exactly where we sit on the couch watching TV while awaiting our food to cook. Not good. Now we don't sit there while cooking, and we're getting a new oven pronto.


                Comment


                • I think they are safe, there are millions in use every day for decades and there are no known health risks.

                  The only thing that might be true is that "Microwaved foods have been shown to elevate cholesterol and stress and decrease white blood cells." But that's because microwaved food is usually preprocessed and contains lots of salt, sugar and fat. It's the quality of the food and not the microwave.

                  Comment


                  • We a lot of frozen corn, peas, brocolli (pkgs without butter added)
                    Our kid eats those veggies so the microwave works for us.

                    Comment


                    • I'd say very safe. My dad has had the same mircowave for years and doesn't suffer any ill effects. Still, I can understand the concern.

                      Comment

                      Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

                      Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

                      Latest Posts in Our Forums

                      Collapse

                      • Have You Ever Done Any Online Dating? - Let's Discuss!

                        If you've ever done any online dating, you know there are many things that can go wrong. But for some, online dating leads to finding a soulmate. ...

                        Today, 11:04 AM By Chrissy M.
                      • Do You Volunteer?

                        I have done so for many years.

                        I work at a charity and have been there for over 10 years. I must admit, I love the work. Admittedly, I don't...

                        Today, 03:15 AM By Popcorn&Candy
                      • Do You Pluck Your Eyebrows?

                        I certainly do.

                        I like the thinner brow look. I have beautiful eyes and feel my brows frame my face. I love having groomed, neat eyebrows....

                        Today, 03:08 AM By Popcorn&Candy
                      • Fabulous New Boots!

                        I very recently bought myself a gorgeous pair of black leather boots. I spent a good 20 minutes making the decision and don't regret it!

                        ...

                        Today, 03:02 AM By Popcorn&Candy
                      • Soon To Have Therapy

                        I've been in a really mixed-up place lately. So I have spoken to my doctor and she is referring me for counselling. I shall also be seeing a psychologist....

                        Today, 02:59 AM By Popcorn&Candy

                      Latest Topics in Our Forums

                      Collapse

                      • Have You Ever Done Any Online Dating? - Let's Discuss!

                        If you've ever done any online dating, you know there are many things that can go wrong. But for some, online dating leads to finding a soulmate. ...

                        Today, 11:04 AM By Chrissy M.
                      • Do You Volunteer?

                        I have done so for many years.

                        I work at a charity and have been there for over 10 years. I must admit, I love the work. Admittedly, I don't...

                        Today, 03:15 AM By Popcorn&Candy
                      • Do You Pluck Your Eyebrows?

                        I certainly do.

                        I like the thinner brow look. I have beautiful eyes and feel my brows frame my face. I love having groomed, neat eyebrows....

                        Today, 03:08 AM By Popcorn&Candy
                      • Fabulous New Boots!

                        I very recently bought myself a gorgeous pair of black leather boots. I spent a good 20 minutes making the decision and don't regret it!

                        ...

                        Today, 03:02 AM By Popcorn&Candy
                      • Soon To Have Therapy

                        I've been in a really mixed-up place lately. So I have spoken to my doctor and she is referring me for counselling. I shall also be seeing a psychologist....

                        Today, 02:59 AM By Popcorn&Candy
                      Working...
                      X