Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gardens and plants

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• Gardens and plants

Before you know it, it will be time to start planting gardens. What are some good things to plant with limited space?

Bet some of you have real nice gardens.
    Stillness, going to try some of your foods from other thread. We have not tried lentils, quinoa, or papaya so will try something new this week. Thanks.

• Papaya requires a climate that mostly doesn't freeze and if it does, then only by 2 degrees. Quinoa needs to be processed to get rid of a bitter outer layer.
    I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.
    Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

From a speech by Patrick Henry on March 23, 1775 at St. John's Church, Richmond, Virginia

Comment

• i tried planting beans and it seemed to be easy. Onions is another good choice to try.

Comment

• I was just thinking about my garden last night. I haven't done well with it the past couple years. It requires quite a bit of upkeep and when I don't keep it up, it goes to weeds and then zaps all the nutrients from my plants. I considered not doing one at all this year. But I'm already starting to feel the urge.

Generally, I plant tomatoes, snap peas, pole beans, squash and maybe a few other things in the summer. In spring, before the heat kicks in, I plant my broccoli, cabbage, spinach and kale.
        "Be what you're looking for."

Comment

• I wish I could have a garden. I rent and my outside space is small and I share it with other tenants.

Comment

• If you have sunlight, you may not be able to have a full garden but could grow some fresh herbs. With a private outside balcony that has sunlight, you could do a bit more.
            I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.
            Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

From a speech by Patrick Henry on March 23, 1775 at St. John's Church, Richmond, Virginia

Comment

• Originally posted by amy40 View Post
              Before you know it, it will be time to start planting gardens. What are some good things to plant with limited space?

Bet some of you have real nice gardens.
              Stillness, going to try some of your foods from other thread. We have not tried lentils, quinoa, or papaya so will try something new this week. Thanks.
              Cool! How did it go?
              "Those sowing seed with tears
              Will reap with a joyful shout." - Psalm 126

Comment

• Originally posted by Stillness View Post

Cool! How did it go?
                forgot! but just found a quinoa, salmon, brocolli bowl recipe to try soon

Comment

• Stillness
                  the only quinoa choice at store last night was a box of Uncle Ben's brown rice and quinoa
                  ​do I still rinse the quinoa somehow or just follow cooking instructions on package?

Comment

• I can't believe that I missed this thread!

I have never had a green thumb...But last year I tried to raise an urban herb garden and I was very successful. I used individual pots on a table on my patio. I grew cherry tomatoes, mint, oregano, basil, thyme, sage and cilantro. With that great success, this year I intend to expand greatly. I'm not sure if I will be able to make an actual garden behind my garage, but I'm hoping to at least try some small veggies using my large pot method

I have bunnies that have decided that my yard is safe, and they have taken up permanent residence here, despite the dogs. My goofy Lab is terrified of them, tho, so it's a safe home. They would surely destroy my plants in the ground tho.

Comment

• Is it ready made or prewashed? If not, if it's just dry grains, I'd rinse. I've never had their quinoa, but uncle bens seems to process their stuff a bit more, so you could probably skip rinsing if you don't want the hassle.

Coincidentally, I had the same exact question myself last night. I opened a big bag of quinoa I'd just bought and was going to pour it into my rice cooker. The instructions on this brand don't mention rinsing. But I thought about some instructions that I'd read elsewhere that said to always rinse quinoa. I read the bag closer and at the very bottom in fine print it said something like, "Despite the use of modern cleaning equipment, there may be foreign material. Always rinse quinoa."

I don't think it's absolutely necessary for cleanliness, but there's another reason. Quinoa has a natural coating that's bitter, so it will taste a little better if it's rinsed.
                      "Those sowing seed with tears
                      Will reap with a joyful shout." - Psalm 126

Comment

• Originally posted by atskitty2 View Post
                        I grew cherry tomatoes, mint, oregano, basil, thyme, sage and cilantro.
                        I have bunnies
                        my kid would love you to be an Aunt now, to send home some herbs, see the bunnies, the dogs ,and you, of course

thanks stillness, will rinse then

Comment

• Originally posted by amy40 View Post

forgot! but just found a quinoa, salmon, brocolli bowl recipe to try soon
                          got one good concoction and two delicious comments
                          tried quinoa, now maybe lentils next

Comment

• that's great Amy! I think you'll like quinoa.

Comment

• I love plants and flowers. I don't have my own garden but my housing association attends to my flat's front garden. It looks gorgeous in summer. I love nature and would love to have my own garden one day.

Comment

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

Working...
                              X