• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Deep Cleaning Carpets... do it myself or hire a cleaning company?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deep Cleaning Carpets... do it myself or hire a cleaning company?

Hey, everyone

I'm hoping to get some suggestions here. I've got some carpets in my house that are in desperate need of a deep clean and have been for years. I've already found a local company that has great reviews and is pet-friendly, but I have heard so many ways to deep clean your carpet yourself so I am wondering if anyone has any opinions or has any personal experience with this. What do you guys recommend? I am short on money at the moment but this needs to get done and it needs to get done correctly. I am new to this so any thoughts or opinions are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

we've rented the equipment to do it as well as hired someone once
    but won't hire someone again as they bang up/ mark up walls

Comment

I used to always do it myself. I could rent a machine and buy the soap cheaper than I could pay someone. But, a few years ago I decided to hire someone. I looked for recommendations from other folks locally and settled on a company. It was SO nice having someone do it for me. No hauling the big ole machine, having to dump all the nasty dog hairy water down my drains or carry it outside somewhere to dump. They were in and out in no time and I was very pleased.
      "Be what you're looking for."

Comment

I much prefer the professional cleanings. I don't have carpet any more, but back when I did, it was a much better job.
        It is worth the added cost, and if you wait for a special or look at Groupon, you can find some reputable companies for a moderate price.

Comment

Thanks for the input, guys. I think I am leaning towards hiring someone to do it for me, I'm sure prices vary in every area but what is the general price range you guys have seen? Again...I am completely new so I'd have no idea as to whether any price was too steep or not!

Comment

Depends on size of the area to be cleaned, type of cleaning you want, other factors. It seems like years ago, probably 10, I paid about 150 or 200 for 3 bedrooms. They were large rooms tho and I got just a basic cleaning, with no furniture moved. I did it a couple times a year, so I didn't usually need a deep cleaning, started with new carpet.

It will vary by city and many other factors.

Comment

My hall and lounge carpet needs a deep clean and it will be done within the next three to four weeks. It is a disgrace for my flat to have a dirty carpet, so I can understand your perspective. It isn't actually that expensive to hire someone to do the job: I googled it and found some local cleaners. I am really looking forward to having a beautiful beige carpet again.

Comment

Originally posted by Popcorn&Candy View Post
                My hall and lounge carpet needs a deep clean and it will be done within the next three to four weeks. It is a disgrace for my flat to have a dirty carpet, so I can understand your perspective. It isn't actually that expensive to hire someone to do the job: I googled it and found some local cleaners. I am really looking forward to having a beautiful beige carpet again.
                You'll have to let me know about your experience with having someone come in and do it. I'm looking to clean mine within that same time period, or possibly sooner.

Comment

I actually have been cleaning my carpets today. The hoovering and vanish spray treatment have been put down. It'll be so lovely to sit in a clean flat. The dirty carpet was driving me mental. I HATE dirt and mess with a passion.

Comment

Working...
                  X