• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Social Media

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Social Media

How has social media changed your life? What outlets do you use?
    How has it enhanced your life, and what do you find to be drawbacks?

On a broader scale, what do you think are the societal changes & impact?

Yeah, I know it's a topic well discussed, but I'm not sure we've all chatted about it?

Facebook allows me to keep track of bands I follow. I go to see bands much more often than before. I also can keep in touch with friends and family in far flung places. Unfortunately, it seems to take up a lot of my time.
    I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.
    Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

From a speech by Patrick Henry on March 23, 1775 at St. John's Church, Richmond, Virginia

Comment

For me it's Pinterest and Twitter who I have a few friends I keep in contact with on a regular bases. My wife has face book that we both have friends and family that we keep in contact with. For me I can stay in contact a lot better without having a huge phone bill being I have so many family members. But I get most of my social media news from Twitter now days.
      When out driving always turn left. Then, should you become lost, you can find your way home by reversing the procedure and always turning right.

Comment

Originally posted by atskitty2 View Post

Yeah, I know it's a topic well discussed, but I'm not sure we've all chatted about it?
        Thanks Kitty a very good topic here you picked.
        When out driving always turn left. Then, should you become lost, you can find your way home by reversing the procedure and always turning right.

Comment

I agree with most that it's a double-edged sword. I love it for reasons of keeping up with things, communicating, sharing experiences, help groups like for lost and found pets, etc.

I dislike it because it has given EVERYONE a platform and not everyone uses a platform wisely. It has given us the notion that we should voice our opinions on EVERYTHING. It has created an avenue for cyber-bullying beyond what most of us as adults can even comprehend. It has in some ways empowered us, allowing some of us to be more comfortable with who we are, and in other ways it has given us a means of comparison. I love Instagram, but I don't ever get off of it that I don't feel like I'm not in good enough shape. Instagram didn't MAKE me feel that way, but it certainly didn't help.
          "Be what you're looking for."

Comment

Well BD many are using social media to be mean and cyber bullying. They can't deal with issue face to face, but they can behind a monitor and key broad. Social media has really made some people not happy with them self. So they take it out on strangers just because they can and that is so very sad in my book.

Comment

ATSKitty and JNS - Please check your PM's. Thanks!
              "Be what you're looking for."

Comment

Originally posted by atskitty2 View Post

I use Facebook and am still involved in a few health forums and an industry-specific Yahoo group for my work. Online networking has helped a great deal with my work, and I am also able to keep up with extended family a lot more than I did before everyone was online. I think that may be more of a negative overall, though, as several of my relatives don't have filters and just say anything and everything. (I DO NOT want to know how much sex and what type of sex my young nieces and nephews are having, nor do I want to read their obscenity-laced posts. I'm old. I didn't friend them, they all sent me invitations. They don't say these things to my face, so why let me see it on Facebook? I'd prefer they'd block me--or not fraternize with me there at all, you know?)

Comment

not on FB, instagram, or twitter

convenience with finding info but like the simplicity of life before the internet

must get online to sign up for school conferences, volunteer slots, or even to donate items to school
                  sometimes just send in my info on paper

Last edited by amy40; 08-13-2017, 03:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Beautiful Disaster View Post
                    It has given us the notion that we should voice our opinions on EVERYTHING.
                    from someone who was quiet more than half my life and never thought I had any opinions to share,
                    have found that forums give me the chance to share the voice I now have

Comment

I love social media. I have Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, this website, other forums... It makes life so much easier. I read the news online and watch YouTube daily. I love being connected with people and just getting out there! People are very interesting and so I use social media.

Comment

Working...
                      X