• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Subconscious

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Subconscious

Before going to bed last night, I was thinking about how amazingly powerful the subconscious is. Who knows what really fuels it, but it certainly operates independent of any blatant influence from us. A few nights ago I dreamed that I smelled smoke. I woke up in a panic (I actually did wake up) and opened my eyes to find my bedroom very smoky. I turned on my lamp, and there was no smoke.

That same night, I dreamed that I encountered two people I know, at separate times in the same day, and both of them were having low blood sugar spells. When I woke up that morning, within only a few minutes I could easily tell that my blood sugar was low. I just find it so strange that my brain and my body understood it and found a way to communicate it in my sleep.

Have you all ever had anything like that happen?
    "Be what you're looking for."

Often.

I think the name we settled on - "subconscious" - is part of what makes it confusing. It makes it sound as if it's somehow not conscious or inferior. Neither is true.

I view it something like handedness. If you're right-handed, it doesn't make your left hand any less of a hand or inferior. It's just not the dominant hand for some things. In the same way, the "subconscious" mind is no less a mind (or part of your mind) than your "conscious" mind. If we can understand that, so much of the mystical, mysterious, and unexplained that we experience becomes simple and clear.

Sleepwalking, sleep paralysis, sleep itself along with dreaming, blind sight, intuition, the amazing mental displays of some autistic people, muscle memory all of that stuff is the so-called "subconscious," as I understand it. I prefer "internal" mind, because it's very much conscious, important, and by no means "sub."
    "Those sowing seed with tears
    Will reap with a joyful shout." - Psalm 126

Comment

Dreams where I learned something about other people that ended up being true.

Comment

I interpret as a sub layer. A layer located underneath another layer, not necessarily inferior to it. Like, the inside of an onion versus the outside. The inside is a sub layer of the outside, but it doesn't imply that it is inferior. It's interesting how differently we all interpret things.

It's a strange feeling to be awake and in control, and then know that when you are asleep that subconscious takes over and is also in control on its own.

Comment

like to record dreams that I remember before forget them

Comment

Originally posted by Beautiful Disaster View Post
            I interpret as a sub layer. A layer located underneath another layer, not necessarily inferior to it.
            "Inferior," "sub," and "underneath" are synonymous. I don't feel any of them are precise.

By the way, This is a great topic. I've become fascinated with it over the past few months. I was actually going to make a post a while back, but everyone I express myself to looks at me like I'm crazy.

Coincidentally, my interest was really piqued starting with an intense, seemingly random dream I had at the end of last year. What was going on in my dream matched what my wife was doing at the very moment I was having the dream.

It's a strange feeling to be awake and in control, and then know that when you are asleep that subconscious takes over and is also in control on its own.
            It can do it while you're awake too. Look up videos on something called "blind sight." The one that comes to mind is a blind man navigating obstacles in a hallway while expressing a belief that he's walking straight. It's spooky if you don't understand the subconscious.

Comment

Originally posted by Stillness View Post
              Coincidentally, my interest was really piqued starting with an intense, seemingly random dream I had at the end of last year. What was going on in my dream matched what my wife was doing at the very moment I was having the dream.
              are you an empath?

Comment

Originally posted by amy40 View Post

are you an empath?
                I've never heard the term.

Comment

That same night, I dreamed that I encountered two people I know, at separate times in the same day, and both of them were having low blood sugar spells. When I woke up that morning, within only a few minutes I could easily tell that my blood sugar was low. I just find it so strange that my brain and my body understood it and found a way to communicate it in my sleep.

Have you all ever had anything like that happen?
                  I remember having a very vivid dream of over heating when running as a small kid. I was running a fever at that time.
                  I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.
                  Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

From a speech by Patrick Henry on March 23, 1775 at St. John's Church, Richmond, Virginia

Comment

Freud was the expert on this science. Our subconscious decides everything for us. It is like having a boss in your head. The brain does talk to itself and will make decisions to protect itself. The human brain is an amazing machine. It is complex, too. I haven't studied neurosciences but it is an interesting subject.

Comment

jns Yes!!! That's exactly what I'm describing. I think the brain and body is so interesting and not just in the human species!

Comment

Another one: I recently had to get a new vehicle bc my transmission went out (or was going out....stuck in 5th gear). Anyway, I dreamed that I decided to keep my old car and my new one. And then I forgot about the transmission and took the old one on a weekend road trip. Once I got down the road, I realized my transmission issue and my car would only go 20 mph. So, I drove for hours in panic mode, going 20 mph hoping to reach my destination before the tranny died. I thought, "there is no way I can make it in to work. I will email my boss and let him know I won't be there." So, I woke up............ phone in hand, email pulled up, and was seriously about to email the boss.......all while sleeping. Lol

Comment

I'm a superhero engaged in a fight with my enemy. We're flying over the city - weaving between buildings and battling on rooftops. We crash into a building and I get stuck in the ceiling. The enemy flies up to me and I think he's going to get me. But instead he takes out a lemon pie and starts to rub it on my face. "Lemon is good for your skin," he says.

It's so bizarre, random and intense that I wake up from my nap. It feels like something more than a dream has happened. I open the door and walk across the hall and open the bathroom door where my wife is taking a shower. "Are you putting lemon on your face," I ask. "Yes. It's a new citrus facewash I bought. You smelled it?" she asks. The answer is no. I didn't smell it, know about the facewash, or even know she was in the bathroom, let alone showering.

We tried to figure out what happened and kept coming up with no good answers.

Comment

funny BD!

don't know if husband was dreaming or just sleep walking
                            he gets up early/goes bed early so one night I went up later, went in bathroom and shower was on.....
                            so he got up turned on shower,went back to bed

Comment

deleted dream because wanted to share with regular posters but too personal to leave on public area of forum
                              (sorry BD, this was deleted before you said not to)

Comment

Working...
                              X