• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

culture of violence?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• culture of violence?

Am wondering if the U.S. has more of a culture of violence in comparison to our Northern neighbors? And if so, where does it come from?

Originally posted by amy40 View Post
    Am wondering if the U.S. does have more of a culture of violence in comparison to our Northern neighbors?
    You mean Canada?

Honestly, I think the whole world is violent. The US is not the best or the worst. It just has a unique blend with things like guns, prisons, mass shootings, and its military/war. Other cultures express it in different ways, like domestic violence, rape, organized crime, ethnic cleansing, etc.
    "Those sowing seed with tears
    Will reap with a joyful shout." - Psalm 126

Comment

I agree with Still. I think it's always there in some form, though I do think it is glamorized here in the US. Movies may have changed, but even back when I was a kiddo, the most popular video games were based around some form of violence.
      "Be what you're looking for."

Comment

Originally posted by Beautiful Disaster View Post
        I agree with Still. I think it's always there in some form, the most popular video games were based around some form of violence.
        ok guess my head in sand as never played video games as kid

can't find a sitcom to watch with kid at 8 pm as the language is either bad and/or themes inappropriate for kid's age
        nothing much to watch as family; last thing we watched together as family was basketball

Comment

can't find a sitcom to watch with kid at 8 pm as the language is either bad and/or themes inappropriate for kid's age
          nothing much to watch as family; last thing we watched together as family was basketball
          Lol, my mother has expressed discomfort watching stuff with sex scenes around my wife and I. I agree it's weird.

What's even weirder is that I get very uncomfortable watching sex scenes with my wife.

Comment

interesting, that jns said Canada has less violence than U.S. but it we don't know why

Comment

Am wondering if the U.S. has more of a culture of violence in comparison to our Northern neighbors? And if so, where does it come from?
              I'm not sure where it is from but Canada has a significantly different ethnic makeup and significantly less diversity than the USA. This is in a country physically larger than the USA but with a population about 1/9th that of the USA. Even before stricter weapon laws were put in place, Canada had less violence per 100,000 of population. I believe that this was the case even in its two largest cities, Toronto and Montreal, when compared to similar sized USA cities.
              I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.
              Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

From a speech by Patrick Henry on March 23, 1775 at St. John's Church, Richmond, Virginia

Comment

Originally posted by jns View Post

I'm not sure where it is from but Canada has a significantly different ethnic makeup and significantly less diversity than the USA. .
                Where we lived in Canada was very diverse.
                When searching about possibility of moving back up there came across a discussion.
                The jist of it was that they thought there was less violence in Canada because the people are happier. They cited health insurance and more equality of pay (among people at work places) as a couple of reasons.

Comment

Where we lived in Canada was very diverse. Remember when my parents had a party and after they were discussing how everyone at party was from a different country. When searching about possibility of moving back up there came across a discussion.
                  The jist of it was that they thought there was less violence in Canada because the people are happier. They cited health insurance and more equality of pay (among people at work places) as a couple of reasons.
                  The ethnicity of Canadians and Americans came from looking at tables of such when I was researching my answer. Canadians are much more likely to have backgrounds from northern Europe than Americans. Anyway, my answer to your original question was I'm not sure. Then I stated several differences that could be a part of the answer, or not.
                  Last edited by jns; 06-19-2017, 09:05 PM.
                  I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.
                  Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

From a speech by Patrick Henry on March 23, 1775 at St. John's Church, Richmond, Virginia

Comment

don't think tv, movies, games etc were as violent years ago or maybe I just wasn't exposed to it

and, of course, the Internet wasn't around years ago, either and there are now so many chat rooms, forums, invisible Internet etc for those who want to spread violence, wreak havoc........adding to the spread of violence

Comment

phooey, just when I go to erase, get quoted
                      told husband was going to go cold turkey and he said good idea
                      I always say too much
                      You should always say what you want to say and no more.

Comment

Maybe you would be so kind as to state what you are basing your above claims about immigrants on.
                        What I thought was common knowledge and my own experience. There are plenty of studies on immigrants and crime in general, though. And even some more specific ones.

But since you made the initial claim, why don't you tell me what exactly you mean. It seems like you may have meant immigrants from a particular country/region? Did you? Maybe you're right and I assumed incorrectly.

Sir, you are wrong. The 2016 GDP PPP per capita by the International Monetary Fund has the USA at 11, the 2015 World Bank has the USA at 10 and the 2016 CIA has the USA at 13.
                        Awesome! Thatís not what I found, but letís use your numbers that has the US barely making the top 10 in wealth. Now we have other countries to compare to.

Without having any idea where you got those numbers, Iím almost certain that the US is close to the top, if not number one for things like gun violence, incarceration, and shootings by law enforcement if you compare it to countries surrounding it on your list.

So either the government and the general populace is particularly violent or we have a large criminal element that needs to be shot and have their freedom stripped.

Comment

jns
                          sent you a pm

Comment

right jns "say no more"
                            but don't offer to take my words out of your post

my lips are sealed......see how long I can last......lol
                            Amy, I am willing to edit my post. All you have to do is ask. Do you want the quote edited where you edited your own post after I quoted it? I actually think your second paragraph is great. I grew up near the border, so I would not doubt your experience. Toronto was closer than Buffalo. I flew into Toronto to visit my folks many times when it was significantly cheaper than flying to Buffalo. Further, a number of Canadians bought produce and flowers from our roadside stand. The only problem is that some wanted to pay less for things by substituting Canadian money for American money when the Canadian money was worth less and a hassle to exchange. Some Americans would try to unload their Canadian money the same way.

Comment

Originally posted by Stillness View Post
                              What I thought was common knowledge and my own experience. There are plenty of studies on immigrants and crime in general, though. And even some more specific ones.

But since you made the initial claim, why don't you tell me what exactly you mean. It seems like you may have meant immigrants from a particular country/region? Did you? Maybe you're right and I assumed incorrectly.
                              This debate has been flying around for a while because what you assume is common knowledge is not commonly acknowledged across a broad spectrum of American society.

That led to a Wikipedia article that indicated that the homicide rate by guns in many Central American and South American countries is higher or significantly higher than in the USA. I wonder if some of the USA's homicide rate is due to immigration from those countries and the attitudes of solving problems with guns. Of course, there would be an influence in the opposite direction from immigrants from countries with much lower rates than the USA has.
                              I did not make an initial claim only a question about the possible causality. I was willing to entertain that it wasn't so and also was willing to entertain that it was so. But I don't accept it on someone's word. They have to come up with reasonable proof from a source I can have confidence in. I received exactly zero responses based on such sources.

Comment

Working...
                              X