• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

love and marriage

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• love and marriage

if love isn't enough to keep a marriage going, what is?

Love, money, health, respect, humility, strength, friendship, etc.
    I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.
    Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

From a speech by Patrick Henry on March 23, 1775 at St. John's Church, Richmond, Virginia

Comment

Friendship, commitment, meeting needs, communication, respect,... Lots of things other than love. I know of a couple that I'm fairly certain do not love each other... But 20 yrs now together, happily. Neither claims to love the other... It's a symbiotic relationship. They both have something the other values more than love and loyalty. For him, the trophy wife on his arm for parties. For her, money and security, popularity sort of...
      It works for them. They are happy.

So, what is love anyway? Maybe that thing they have is love to them. I'd be miserable in that sort of arrangement.
      Love seems to be identified differently for different people.

Comment

Originally posted by amy40 View Post
        if love isn't enough to keep a marriage going, what is?
        I think it's all you need - if the couple knows how to show love. It's way more than a notion, though. And it goes beyond feelings.

Barring something extreme (like one mate being lost at sea and presumed dead but really living life stranded on a deserted island), itís impossible for a marriage to fail if both love each other.
        "Those sowing seed with tears
        Will reap with a joyful shout." - Psalm 126

Comment

I think becoming parents can help keep a marriage together
          however, it certainly helps if the marriage was good before the children came along

Comment

The thing about love, is you can't make someone love you. You don't choose whom you love. So when you find a partner, you have to treasure the relationship, whether it leads to marriage or not. But love is also respect, communication, honesty, affection, friendship. Love has many facets. And it takes work. But without love a marriage would break. So I think love is enough to keep a marriage going.

Comment

A good marriage consists of love, honesty, communication, friendship, respect and loyalty..... love on it's own isn't enough.
              I love and adore my husband but if he lied to me, disrespected me, or was disloyal, I couldn't be with him even though I love him. ...
              Money is nice but I'd still be with him if we lost it all as our love is strong enough to see us through the bad times, as well as the good.

Comment

Working...
              X