• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

143 million accounts hacked at Equifax

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 143 million accounts hacked at Equifax

I just checked at Equifax. I will have to take up their offer of free monitoring after their check application said I should. I have to complete the registration on or after 9/13. I may sign up with Lifelock also since the free monitoring they provide has poor ratings.
    I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.
    Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

From a speech by Patrick Henry on March 23, 1775 at St. John's Church, Richmond, Virginia

told my husband this reminds me of the movie "the net" with Sandra bullock

​maybe a monitoring company did the hacking so as to increase their business
    just when I am so careful and always refusing to give out our kid's SS
    I should not complain as the world is falling apart rapidly and it feels like we are in the end times

there are 7 years between the two solar eclipses which make an X on the U.S.
    and right after the eclipse, I thought "and so it begins"
    the thought just popped in my brain

Comment

I was unaware. Thank you for the information jns. I need to check on mine.

Amy there was a sizable earthquake in Southern Mexico today. More fuel for the end times fires.

Comment

Originally posted by jns View Post
        I just checked at Equifax. I will have to take up their offer of free monitoring after their check application said I should. I have to complete the registration on or after 9/13. I may sign up with Lifelock also since the free monitoring they provide has poor ratings.
        jns
        I read an article that suggested doing a credit freeze, which stops anyone from opening credit in your name

Comment

I will do a credit freeze again. It's kind of a pain but it's best.
          If you accept the offer for free monitoring, it releases them from liability if you are hacked. That's what I heard anyway.

Ofc I don't know how you prove to anyone that you were a victim of some kind of fraud based on their hack tho, so I am not sure if it really matters.

It all stinks is the bottom line.

Comment

Equifax did a freeze for free. Both Experian and TransUnion want $10 a piece for a credit freeze or a police report to do it for free. Hopefully Equifax will get that requirement waived from the others soon. I'll have to do the same for my wife. You are a victim of identity theft when hackers steal your identity information whether they steal other things or not. I wonder if Equifax will send out letters or emails to those affected so they have proof.
            I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.
            Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

From a speech by Patrick Henry on March 23, 1775 at St. John's Church, Richmond, Virginia

Comment

They're required to notify, are they not?

Comment

I was able to put a credit freeze on Innovis for free. Innovis is a fourth credit bureau. They are also sending a free credit report.

Comment

I'm waiting. There were some iffy things about the whole situation for me. It seems that every single person I know is "possibly affected" by this and one article was written by a guy who said he even made up info to type in and every single one he typed in was "possibly affected". Also, there is rumor that Equifax recently bought stock in this ID monitoring company.

If it's as serious as they say, it's a pretty large deal. The verification identity quiz powered by LexisNexis will be virtually useless now because it relies on credit card records, former addresses, etc.
                  "Be what you're looking for."

Comment

I also added a 90 day fraud alert that goes to all three agencies using Equifax.

Comment

An Experian subsidiary sold access to 200 million accounts in 2011 to the identity theft service of Hieu Minh Ngo. It's possible that names tied to addresses and social security numbers are already out there.

Comment

It IS a huge deal BD. They accessed all the necessary information to begin anything they want, as me or you... They have our full profile. It's a shame really. I hate to apply and reapply freezes right now, with the upcoming move,but this is definitely worrisome.

Comment

I'm a bit cautious because my wife had her social security number stolen and used by another person for employment. Then the IRS came against her and me for the taxes. It took almost a year of fighting with the IRS before I got ahold of an agent that realized she could not be working in two places on opposite sides of the country at the same time. In between they had seized a tax refund that was already earmarked for something else, putting a crimp in our finances. The IRS had all of the records, but they did not use any logic until I pointed it out. They just seemed interested in several thousand dollars of ill gotten gains.

Comment

Originally posted by jns View Post
                            Equifax did a freeze for free..
                            did you call them to put a freeze on and how long does it take to get through?
                            will they send out a credit report for free, also?

am wondering if I need to put one on our kid's number?

hope this does not have to be done online cause I will not input S.S. online

do not want to send $40 to put credit freeze when it should be done for free
                            the 3 major credits are all closely connected and they should do them for free and NOT SCAM us

will you pm me their number please; I have the 3 numbers but don't know where since becoming parent
                            don't trust looking it up in case there are false ones out there
                            thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by amy40 View Post

did you call them to put a freeze on and how long does it take to get through?
                              will they send out a credit report for free, also?

am wondering if I need to put one on our kid's number?

hope this does not have to be done online cause I will not input S.S. online

do not want to send $40 to put credit freeze when it should be done for free
                              the 3 major credits are all closely connected and they should do them for free and NOT SCAM us

will you pm me their number please; I have the 3 numbers but don't know where since becoming parent
                              don't trust looking it up in case there are false ones out there
                              thanks!
                              I did everything online. One per year free credit reports are at annualcreditreport dot com, a website set up by the federal government so that there is a single place to go to.

Comment

Working...
                              X