• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Home Project

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home Project

Do you ever pull permits to do home projects yourself? I pulled electrical and mechanical permits to install a mini-split ductless air conditioner / heat pump today. I've never installed one, though I did see one being installed (it seemed simple enough). The unit is supposed to be delivered today.
    I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.
    Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

From a speech by Patrick Henry on March 23, 1775 at St. John's Church, Richmond, Virginia

what do you mean by pull permits?

husband put a gas heater in garage and also changed our fireplace from wood to gas
    he does a lot of stuff that we should probably hire out but don't

jns
    am sure you can do it yourself as you seem pretty intelligent

Comment

Some municipalities and counties require you to get permits to do certain work on your house. This is so the work can be inspected to see if it is done correctly and to code. People sometimes rewire their house in an unsafe fashion and are in danger of having a fire. Sometimes mechanical systems, such as decks, collapse, injuring people, often due to faulty construction materials and techniques. If an inspector sees shoddy work, the owner is required to fix it and get it reinspected.
      I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.
      Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

From a speech by Patrick Henry on March 23, 1775 at St. John's Church, Richmond, Virginia

Comment

Jns I never took on a job like that.
        My ex-husband and I did a lot of renovations but nothing beyond cosmetic, I guess. I love home projects! We enjoyed doing those things ourselves. I tiled our entire kitchen/dining area myself, and I was always quite proud of my work.

So, no... to answer the question

Comment

Originally posted by jns View Post
          install a mini-split ductless air conditioner / heat pump today.
          how did it go?

Comment

This is not a one day project for a home DIYer. I removed the old air conditioner, a Wards 12700 BTU/Hr unit (slightly over 1 Ton of air conditioning), which must have weighed about 100 pounds, by myself. I have not been able to get the box it was in free to remove it. Too much caulking. I'll work on it again tomorrow. I spent a couple hours getting the permits. I have to evaluate the electrical work some more as I have to run a new 240 volt circuit. I have one one breaker position available in the subpanel, but I am not sure if I have access to both hot legs. If not, I will need to replace breakers using half width ones to free up space. Or I can run a circuit about 100 feet from the main panel. Where the circuit goes up to energize the new unit has little clearance and I am a big guy, so I will want to get over there when someone is around to drag me out if necessary (or call someone). Actually placing the conductors and conduit is not a problem if I can access what I need to access. The new unit came today just before dark. I unpacked it in the failing light. I read through the installation instructions. I have to determine if I should mount it as originally planned or should turn it 90 degrees since the clearances requested are more than what is available. My clearance from the side of the house to the fence is about 4 feet. Per the instructions, they want about 6 feet for mounting perpendicular and about 9 feet for mounting parallel to the wall. If I mount it up on the wall, I can get the clearance over the fence but then the inspector may not like it. Maybe putting it on a tall stand so I can duck under it would work. Maybe creating a duct so the exhaust goes up would work.

Comment

I removed the old air conditioner, a Wards 12700 BTU/Hr unit (slightly over 1 Ton of air conditioning), which must have weighed about 100 pounds, by myself.
              be careful, jns
              husband was doing a lot of heavy lifting and gave himself a hernia
              had to get outpatient surgery

for some reason DIY projects always seem to take twice as long as one thinks they will take!

Comment

That sounds like a nightmare to me.
                I hope you get it installed correctly and without injury to yourself.

Comment

Things are moving forward. Today was tree trimming with a pole chainsaw I rented from Home Depot for four hours. I cut the tree from the roof and my wife dumped the branches over the side. She will reduce them later. The Chinese elm is looking severely trimmed except for a branch that was too far away. That was an intense workout. Fortunately nothing was broken.

I also determined the manufacturer of my electrical panel so I can get the right breaker. The manufacturer merged with several other companies and so the breaker manufacturer is no longer named the same. It might be an issue during inspection. Hopefully the inspector will be up on such things, Otherwise we will have to go over the fine print, literally.

Comment

All I can think of while I read, is how the sun was probably shining down on you both, in your short sleeves and tank tops, shorts and sandals....

While I am stuck here in freezing weather......no end in sight.

Comment

Doing work was in short sleeves, long pants and leather sneakers. The days have been nice this week but last week the overnight low was 35 one night.

When I got out of college in upstate New York, I packed up and moved solo to Los Angeles without knowing anyone there, without a job or a job prospect and with only several hundred dollars in my pocket (credit cards? what credit cards?). My mom sent a little bit of support, but I burned through what I had mostly in rent ($55 a week) while chasing an engineering job, so I went to the state employment agency and picked a technician job from their board that paid just above minimum wage. I got the job and have stuck it out here ever since. Choices. Its crazy out here. Are you willing to make the move?

Comment

My goal is actually to stay on the East coast, perhaps N or S Carolina near a coastal area.
                        I have had that in mind since I was in my teens, so whether I ever decide to make the commitment to go, remains to be seen.

There's always been something that I tell myself makes it better to stay put...the last 5 yrs has been the parental aging issue and ease of getting to my hometown when needed. Before that I was married and wasn't just my choice to make.

I may be retired before I make the choice to go.
                        Right now, being 10 to 14 hrs away from family isn't what works for me.
                        Eventually, it is the goal.

ETA: I did seriously consider it after the divorce. Wish now I would have
                        Last edited by atskitty2; 12-29-2017, 01:03 PM.

Comment

last week the overnight low was 35 one night.
                          if our temps ever get BACK to the 30's, it will feel like a heat wave!
                          none in sight for our extended forecast

Comment

Its crazy out here. Are you willing to make the move?
                            what do you mean by "it's crazy out here?"

the people? cost of living?
                            or the hazards like fires and earthquakes and traffic?
                            hollywood people and everyone wanting to be in show biz?

Comment

Originally posted by amy40 View Post
                              what do you mean by "it's crazy out here?"

the people? cost of living?
                              or the hazards like fires and earthquakes and traffic?
                              hollywood people and everyone wanting to be in show biz?
                              All of the above and more. At times you can ski in the morning and go to the beach later the same day. In the middle of winter we have warm spells sandwiched between much colder weather. A lot of people are from elsewhere, so you don't have everything already divvied up. The cost of living is high so you have to find a good paying job or start your own business.

Comment

Working...
                              X