• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

protesting

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• protesting

think it's great that young people are protesting/speaking up

do think it's rather sad that schools have to have lockdown practices now
    in K-2, they were were told "in case a bear" gets in the school
    grade 3-5, they know the lockdown practice is in case "a bad man gets in"

Not sure how I feel about it.

A big part of me is pleased that the young people are getting involved. For senior high students this is a wonderful opportunity for understanding our government system, and beginning to form their opinions and exercise their privileges and rights.

Another big part of me has a serious issue with kids taking on the duties of adults. I think the younger ones need not be taking on this responsibility. I saw one report of an elementary school student group planning an event.

Comment

you'd be surprised at the youth of today

such as
      Marley Dias who was 11 when started 1000blackbooks
      (also wrote the book Marley Dias gets it done)

and a teen invented a metal device to go under doors during lockdowns
      his school bought one for all classrooms and now neighboring schools buying

Comment

just heard clooneys are donating $500,000 towards "March for our lives"

Comment

I think it a sad commentary that children feel they must act because the adults of this world haven't. Nuff said.

Comment

sign at a makeshift memorial said: we have FAILED our children again
            I cried this time and I cried when sandy hook happened

when our child did start school, the first day of K, had my first and only panic attack
            ​it's a scary feeling thinking u can leave your child at school and then never see them again

every day when I picked up our Kindergartener who went right into my arms for a hug, that is a day someone else didn't get to hug their child

Comment

"March for our lives" has a wiki page with a link at bottom to the website
              sister marches are going to be taking place

Comment

I'm proud of them. And I hope that no matter how many times they fail they will continue their quest.

Our children deserve security. If our courthouses, government buildings, airplanes etc deserve safety, so do our children and teachers.
                "Be what you're looking for."

Comment

young people have helped lead all our great movements.........we've been waiting for you....
                  in yesterday's tweet from ​​Obama

I agree as youth have the passion, ideals, and energy to believe in a better world and make change happen

Comment

Originally posted by amy40 View Post
                    young people have helped lead all our great movements.........we've been waiting for you....
                    in yesterday's tweet from ​​Obama

I agree as youth have the passion, ideals, and energy to believe in a better world and make change happen
                    Still my question remains why is this so? Why do we wait for our children to take the lead? Why aren't the adults/parents doing this? Where are our leadership abilities and why aren't we leading the protest?

Comment

There are no words for the tragic events that occur to our children all over the world. What happens in America has made children and young people stand up for what they believe in, after losing brothers and sisters and friends, all because someone was simply mad. The world will remember and will fight back against those who won't stop the gun violence.

Comment

Originally posted by Beautiful Disaster View Post
                        I'm proud of them. And I hope that no matter how many times they fail they will continue their quest.

Our children deserve security. If our courthouses, government buildings, airplanes etc deserve safety, so do our children and teachers.
                        It seems that armed sheriff deputy Scot Peterson was at the building when the shooting took place but did not engage. I wonder who they are hiring for those jobs.
                        I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.
                        Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

From a speech by Patrick Henry on March 23, 1775 at St. John's Church, Richmond, Virginia

Comment

Another approach might be to take known whackjobs - like the Sandy Hook perpetrator, the shooter in Florida, and countless others - off the street. Once upon a time we institutionalized the crazy for their own protection as well as that of the rest of us. Now, they go to our schools or live under bridges.
                          Note: the worst mass murder in a school in this country happened in Michigan, in 1927, and didn't involve firearms. It did however involve a known whackjob.
                          Note also that there were regular fatal attacks on Israeli schools by Palestinian terrorists in the early 1970s; this came to a very abrupt end when teachers their were armed and subsequent attackers were quickly dispatched. There hasn't been a successful attack at a school there in decades.

Comment

I heard that Trump made some statement about looking for an action that will work, not just doing something to be doing something.
                            I wanted to find the speech or whatever he said and listen for myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Claret View Post
                              Why aren't the adults/parents doing this? Where are our leadership abilities and why aren't we leading the protest?
                              "Moms Demand Action" founded 2012 in response to Sandy Hook
                              chapters in all fifty states

Comment

Working...
                              X