• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Christmas doldrums

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Christmas doldrums

Anybody else dread Christmas. You would think I have it all. Two independent (kinda) kids (adults), a wonderful husband great house, no bills etc. etc. But. each year at this time I gear down, get kind of depressed, dread Christmas. One of my issues is that being away from my kids, all they want is cash for Christmas so they can get what they want, sizes, colours etc. I really find I miss buying presents, wrapping them up, etc. Sending and e-transfer is just not the same. Then, my husband and I both purchase what we want, when we need it or want it. I never know what to get him for Christmas. I buy something, spend to much, and worry that it's not what he wants or needs.

I do get over it, but the stress really gets to me. We are hosting dinner this year with 4 of our good friends coming as well as my sister and her husband. I don't mind doing this, in fact I quite like it, but I'll stress over what to cook along with the turkey, and ow to cook it and so on and so on.

Anybody else?

agree, it can be stressful hosting
    people are happy they are not hosting themselves and will love everything no matter what you serve

Comment

Claret, it sounds like it is time to get something offbeat that is not on the list of needed or wanted items. I have been to a number of game, toy and hobby stores over the years and have found some interesting things.
      I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.
      Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

From a speech by Patrick Henry on March 23, 1775 at St. John's Church, Richmond, Virginia

Comment

jns, one year I gave him a skydive. Result - we spent the next 10 years skydiving - he became and instructor and I became the Chief Provincial Judge for formation skydiving competitions. It was a gift that just bloomed for both of us and we made some really good friends. Last year I gave him a gift certificate so he could go and get certified as an open water diver. What does this include??? Masks, wet suits, flippers, snorkel gear, underwater watches, underwater go pros, and warm weather vacations. However, I'm now out of ideas. AND, I'm now stressing.

Comment

Same here Claret. This year, I'm going to force myself to decorate a little and try to stave off the sadness as much as possible.

What I've found, in years past, that helped me, was to go shopping and buy stocking stuffers and small gifts, anyway. I have plenty of people to give gifts to, and I love the wrapping and piling of gifts under my tree. I also, just love to watch people open their gifts. Maybe don't make it so easy on your bunch...don't just make the e-transfer, make them open a small box with a gift card, or a check, or make the cash a treasure hunt...yeah, adults can have fun and be silly with that.

Sure it's about pleasing them, and giving a useful gift, but YOU should get to enjoy giving it too, right? Don't rob yourself of that joy. For my "kids" I used to buy their necessities like socks and t-shirts and give them at Christmas too.

Have you guys tried repelling? How about a canoe or kayak? That's all I can come up with after half a cup of coffee at 5am, for you and your hubs.
          Merry Christmas!

Comment

I love Christmas. I do the Christmas dinner every year with my sister. We're keeping it simple this year, however. I have bought all my Christmas presents: I just need to wrap them. I have one more Christmas meal out with work in a few weeks time. I have been to my social club's meal out last week. It was such a wonderful evening. Anyhow, I love this time of year, absolutely. It is all very exciting: I guess I am young at heart.

Comment

Working...
            X