Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

will things ever get back to normal again?

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• will things ever get back to normal again?

listen to our state's updates daily & we still haven't reached peak

how long does everyone think it will be until we return to sorta normal again?

• There's a meme circulating social media that says something like, "instead of rushing to return to normal, use this time to determine which parts of normal are worth returning to". I know you aren't using those platforms, so you've likely not seen it.

I think there's a lot to be learned during this time. I think there are so many things we could be changing about our priorities, our values and what our new, improved "normal" could be. I for one, am trying to use this time wisely.

What I see around me has been very disappointing. I hope that by the time this is over, we've all taken some time for introspection and self-improvement.

That said, I also am growing weary of the solitude. I am working obviously, and since I work in a hospital I have isolated myself from any other interactions outside the hospital. I miss my man and his dog...I miss having my fresh veggies all the time because I can't make quick stops at the store for greens and such.

But this is bigger picture stuff. This is not the time for impatience and self-serving indulgences. Improvise to meet social and emotional needs.

The man and I are having NetFlix dates, watching the same show, only by phone from our separate homes. Some former team-mates invited me to a virtual Cards Against Humanity game. There's new ways to do what we need to do, while tending to our responsibility.

So, as inconvenient as it is, this is an opportunity for us all to evaluate our routines. There are so many positive changes we can make.

What are some changes you might keep?

I think I'll maintain more of the quiet time. Also, less shopping time.

Comment

• hope you are staying safe while working atskitty2

Comment

• like to keep husband & child home after this over but of course that can't happen

Comment

• If people are really stay put, this should be over for the most part in a few weeks, but a lot of people are not staying put so the spread is continuing.
          I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.
          Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

From a speech by Patrick Henry on March 23, 1775 at St. John's Church, Richmond, Virginia

Comment

• jns, it's become infuriating for me. I was out at a metropark the past 2 weekends, and I was incredibly disappointed to see the groups of hikers that gathered up there. The lack of common sense, the attempts to cheat the system...So, now, some area parks are closing. Doing things outdoors is good for us all, but I think some people think that distancing recommendations don't apply in the outdoors.

Comment

• it's almost spooky around here in eve.
              every place is either closed or closes early

Comment

• It is odd isn't it amy? I was downtown this evening, and the nearly empty streets at rush hour is such an odd sight. The bars that would typically be filling up for happy hours, or after-work drinks, the restaurants with their signs practically begging patronage. One local restaurant downtown is even advertising free delivery in about a 15 mile radius. I would expect that to be a loss for them, but maybe with gas prices down, it works out.

Comment

• Originally posted by atskitty2 View Post
                  It is odd isn't it amy? I was downtown this evening, and the nearly empty streets at rush hour is such an odd sight. The bars that would typically be filling up for happy hours, or after-work drinks, the restaurants with their signs practically begging patronage. One local restaurant downtown is even advertising free delivery in about a 15 mile radius. I would expect that to be a loss for them, but maybe with gas prices down, it works out.
                  If the loss is not too much, keeping a trained staff employed is a great idea. Hiring new staff after people find other jobs is actually expensive. It keeps the supplies from going bad. It keeps long time customers happy and loyal. And, when things turn around, the restaurant will be well positioned to serve the community regaining its footing. Kitchens are usually crowded so the staff will have to adjust to maintain social distancing.
                  I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.
                  Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

From a speech by Patrick Henry on March 23, 1775 at St. John's Church, Richmond, Virginia

Comment

• It feels like I'm in the twilight zone. It is weird and bizarre and I don't like it.

I want things to get back to normal, to be frank.

Comment

• doesn't seem it will EVER go back to the way things were before pandemic as this will never be gone & will return every year

yes, eventually we will have a vaccine but vaccines are never 100 %
                      even with the flu and chicken pox, vaccinated people still get sick

bad part is with this, people can have no symptoms but still be carriers
                      will we ever be able to hug anyone again?

Comment

• 5 stages.....
                        I'm still in denial.....don't think will reach acceptance

Comment

• Hugging close family should still be OK. Some treatments are showing promise at reducing the number of people who get extremely sick. Most people can fight COVID-19 off without any lasting problems. With so many companies working on a vaccine, one that works should be available by next year. The science of designing effective vaccines that are safe has advanced a lot in the past few decades.

Comment

• I second your previous post, atskitty2.

We do need to take this time to find out what is normal for us and make decisions for ourselves. Things are changing in the world and people are realizing how much this is so. The old world wouldn't recognise this new world. The Internet and technology are changing the way we work and the way the economic system works. It's no longer 9 to 5.

Just a few points to ponder over.

Comment

• When were they ever normal? In my experience, life is a war. The moments when things are going relatively well are just brief breaks in the ongoing stream of catastrophe.

I saw a youtube video called Flu Factories that described the history of flu pandemics starting with the Spanish flu. (An interesting tidbit is that it's suspected that the flu didn't exist in pigs until then). What it vividly illustrated is how much human mismanagement plays into what we're experiencing. Ignorance is one thing. Willful ignorance is another. This is caused by the latter.

If "normal" just means "how things were before," I don't think they'll go back completely. Maybe we'll go back to being able to move around freely without much worry about disease, but I still don't think we'll ever be quite the same. We know this is not something that just happened. We caused it by mismanagement.
                              "Those sowing seed with tears
                              Will reap with a joyful shout." - Psalm 126

Comment

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

• Squirting or Peeing? Confused with Colour

A friend of mine recently lost her virginity and while she had her first sex she doesn't know anything about it. She enjoyed it but she didn't know whether...

05-28-2020, 10:59 PM By Dawood Naseer
                              • Treatment for Perimenopause Anxiety?

Hello guys, What to do about perimenopause symptoms. Several treatments have been studied for managing perimenopausal symptoms. I am confuse, Please help...

05-13-2020, 08:43 AM By Heyperry
                              • isolated as a family

husband, preteen, and I have been isolated from others for weeks now

at a loss for how to fill that "peer" need for preteen...

05-08-2020, 11:20 PM By amy40
                              • Lulu.com

Is an online bookshop, where everyone self publishes their work. If you're interested, then Google it.

As I always say, this is NOT spam:...

05-06-2020, 07:03 AM By Popcorn&Candy
                              • Dr & what would u do if anything

husband needed Dr note to continue work at home
                                he's at higher risk
                                his longtime Dr did not want to get involved & said if he gave note,...

05-04-2020, 01:35 AM By amy40
                              Working...
                              X