Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How are you avoiding loneliness during the required isolation period or quarantine for protection from covid 19?

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• How are you avoiding loneliness during the required isolation period or quarantine for protection from covid 19?

With all the points against social media, it could be the only link to the outside world for some people. How do you stave off loneliness, depression and feeling overwhelmed when separated from your typical way of life?

• Watching DVDs cheers me up. I also telephone friends. Listening to music is uplifting, too.

But it is still lonely. I am in today, as I don't feel too well. I am not ill-ill - I haven't collapsed and aren't lying in bed, struggling to breathe - but I do feel under the weather. I just can't risk going out: just to be on the safe side. If there wasn't this virus going round I would go out but - again - it isn't worth the risk. It sucks, though. Being on my own is lonely: however, I can still telephone my friends and family.

I hope everyone is OK - and if not - recovers soon. Because the loss of lives is utterly devastating. I have so many condolences for everyone who've lost a loved one. I curse this virus: it's a killer.

Again, a hard start to the year. So many lives lost. To some people they're just statistics on a chart or graph, but they're people who've died. And a person being elderly doesn't make death any easier.

Take care, everyone.

Comment

• husband is now working from home & child is on remote learning & dog is wondering what is going on!
      since it's riskier for men, I am the one going out to drug store, grocery store, checking our p.o. box, etc
      but only in evening when less people out
      sleeping better now because they are home & not worrying as much
      sleeping from about 5 am to noon or 1 pm
      not getting child off to school is allowing me uninterrupted sleep & more sleep so I am actually feeling better than usual!

stay safe everyone!

Comment

• Originally posted by amy40 View Post
        husband is now working from home & child is on remote learning & dog is wondering what is going on!
        since it's riskier for men, I am the one going out to drug store, grocery store, checking our p.o. box, etc
        but only in evening when less people out
        sleeping better now because they are home & not worrying as much
        sleeping from about 5 am to noon or 1 pm
        not getting child off to school is allowing me uninterrupted sleep & more sleep so I am actually feeling better than usual!

stay safe everyone!
        Are the sleep hours staggered so that you and your husband can watch your child at different times or do you prefer the night owl hours?
        I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.
        Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

From a speech by Patrick Henry on March 23, 1775 at St. John's Church, Richmond, Virginia

Comment

• do like staying up at night

Comment

• I am finding that social media, specifically Facebook, is actually getting on my nerves far more now than it was before this pandemic. Perhaps it is because more people are on it more often and emotions are high.

I made a comment last evening about my frustrations with the definition of "life-sustaining retail" (including liquor stores and building supply stores) and people just jumped on me on seconds flat, lecturing me on how alcoholics go through DT's (Umm....I grew up with one AND as long as groceries are open people can get beer, spiked seltzers, wine, etc. In other words, I'm far from insensitive regarding the topic) and how the healthcare industry doesn't need a bunch of withdrawing alcoholics right now.

I even had someone contact me privately to scold me for dissing building materials companies who are staying open. SHAME ON ME for not wanting my boyfriend who sells cabinets, countertops, and flooring to be exposed to the bored (and negligent) public every day! Um....what?? I was clear that I wasn't talking about utility sustaining materials (like pipes for if a pipe bursts, or electrical wire, etc) but was specifically speaking about companies who sell home reno stuff and have staff on showroom floors open to the public. Just because they've been allowed to stay open doesn't mean they should. EVERY company is facing financial hardship right now and that is not an excuse to put your bottom line before the well-being of your employees.

If it weren't for the FB group/pages I run, I'd deactivate the account entirely. I'm tired of people feeling the need to jump on EVERY opinion or every feeling expressed.

I haven't found myself feeling lonely, quite yet. I live a very isolated home lifestyle currently, which I love. And although I am now working from home, I am SO busy that if anything, I feel I need a break from things.

I am glad to see you all here, healthy and doing well throughout this time.
            "Be what you're looking for."

Comment

• Originally posted by Ashlee T. View Post
              I am finding that social media, specifically Facebook, is actually getting on my nerves far more now than it was before this pandemic. Perhaps it is because more people are on it more often and emotions are high.

I made a comment last evening about my frustrations with the definition of "life-sustaining retail" (including liquor stores and building supply stores) and people just jumped on me on seconds flat, lecturing me on how alcoholics go through DT's (Umm....I grew up with one AND as long as groceries are open people can get beer, spiked seltzers, wine, etc. In other words, I'm far from insensitive regarding the topic) and how the healthcare industry doesn't need a bunch of withdrawing alcoholics right now.

I even had someone contact me privately to scold me for dissing building materials companies who are staying open. SHAME ON ME for not wanting my boyfriend who sells cabinets, countertops, and flooring to be exposed to the bored (and negligent) public every day! Um....what?? I was clear that I wasn't talking about utility sustaining materials (like pipes for if a pipe bursts, or electrical wire, etc) but was specifically speaking about companies who sell home reno stuff and have staff on showroom floors open to the public. Just because they've been allowed to stay open doesn't mean they should. EVERY company is facing financial hardship right now and that is not an excuse to put your bottom line before the well-being of your employees.

If it weren't for the FB group/pages I run, I'd deactivate the account entirely. I'm tired of people feeling the need to jump on EVERY opinion or every feeling expressed.

I haven't found myself feeling lonely, quite yet. I live a very isolated home lifestyle currently, which I love. And although I am now working from home, I am SO busy that if anything, I feel I need a break from things.

I am glad to see you all here, healthy and doing well throughout this time.
              What you are talking about is the reason the pain from COVID-19 is going to be worse in the USA. Too many people cannot put the collective good over their own good. Imagine if it had been that case in WWII. I think the grinding of the Great Depression for years before WWII made it so people were much more willing to sacrifice and a charismatic president helped with that.
              I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.
              Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

From a speech by Patrick Henry on March 23, 1775 at St. John's Church, Richmond, Virginia

Comment

• I have had to mute several facebook friends because of their obnoxious postings: conspiracy theories, hateful political rants, emotionally driven outbursts, exaggerated memes, etc.
                Most people post something like you're describing, just making a statement of their thoughts on it and then I see the vultures descend. It's out of control.
                I made a post about health. In general. About taking good care of our bodies especially during this time.
                Ha! Nothing out of the ordinary for me Thankfully some folks posted that they agreed!

jns, one of my classmates and I had that discussion. We have seen the resignation of staff and volunteers in anticipation of this, to protect themselves. I understand the Senior volunteers that come in for social reasons, to help out and just stay active. There's no reason for them to continue. However, many have been able-bodied, young, apparently strong individuals. The opportunity to demonstrate character has proven too much for many. It's sad, and such a disappointment. This is our time.

Medical staff are already short-handed, then so many walked off the job. I think about my generation's legacy.
                This is a defining moment for us all. What will the history books say about us?

Comment

• Originally posted by atskitty2 View Post
                  I have had to mute several facebook friends because of their obnoxious postings: conspiracy theories, hateful political rants, emotionally driven outbursts, exaggerated memes, etc.
                  Most people post something like you're describing, just making a statement of their thoughts on it and then I see the vultures descend. It's out of control.
                  I made a post about health. In general. About taking good care of our bodies especially during this time.
                  Ha! Nothing out of the ordinary for me Thankfully some folks posted that they agreed!

jns, one of my classmates and I had that discussion. We have seen the resignation of staff and volunteers in anticipation of this, to protect themselves. I understand the Senior volunteers that come in for social reasons, to help out and just stay active. There's no reason for them to continue. However, many have been able-bodied, young, apparently strong individuals. The opportunity to demonstrate character has proven too much for many. It's sad, and such a disappointment. This is our time.

Medical staff are already short-handed, then so many walked off the job. I think about my generation's legacy.
                  This is a defining moment for us all. What will the history books say about us?
                  Will our children and grand children say that we took the steps to resolve the crisis or will they say that we collectively stood around arguing while the situation got worse. There were many arguments before Pearl Harbor.

Comment

• atskitty2 everything I've read about COVID-19 indicates that this is a glucose related virus. Who it is killing, with the elderly especially vulnerable points toward that. The higher than average number of diabetics. The statistics of the very young being hardly touched. When people are children, their glucose regulation is generally good. As they age, their glucose regulation gets worse. They don't have to be diagnosed diabetics to have bad glucose regulation. Chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine cause a lowering of blood glucose and have warnings about use with diabetics because glucose lowering medications have to be adjusted lower to not get life threatening glucose lows. An interesting fact is that the horseshoe bat is not like a fruit bat in that it's diet consists of mostly insects and occasionally spiders (digestible as proteins and fats). In other words, it shouldn't have high levels of glucose in it's body. I wonder if it get's it's energy mostly through ketosis. The horseshoe bat is a carrier of a number of corona viruses but is not killed off by them. Maybe ketones are the actual control.

Comment

• jns What an interesting concept. I have not read about the glucose factor in this.
                      "Be what you're looking for."

Comment

• I haven't heard that jns. I'd be interested in reading up on that-do you mind sharing the source?
                        I'm not studying pharm in any detail, yet, but I was offered Plaquenil after my auto-immune diagnosis. I declined, but I did some reading on it back at that time. I know it's an antiparasitic-it's used to treat malaria. I had made the presumption that its immune-modulating effects were the power behind it's usefulness in treating a virus like this. It's also anti-inflammatory, and I know it would address the "cytokine storm" that is heavily in the media as the cause of death in these patients, reportedly. It does something to regulate T-cells, if I recall properly..???

Anyway...
                        My BG trends low. I'm on the low end of normal, even after a meal, so if it lowers it that dramatically, I would hope my doc wouldn't have offered it. Curious to read more about that.

Unfortunately, I think standing around arguing is what we do best in America. At least our politicians. Without the specifics, I'm proud of my state's leadership in this. I listen to their daily updates, and I've been comforted with their response. My governor and our Public Health team seem to be all over it. My city's leadership also, has just taken the situation and put their reputations aside and put the public first. They've made some unpopular, bold decisions. I hope we, as individuals, will stand in the trenches and fight this, if it gets as bad as predicted. I feel that our local governments have acted early to attempt to prevent the devastation, so, if it happens, we have to be tough through this.

Comment

• Well said, atskitty2.

Comment

• this all still seems surreal

Comment

• I often joke that I was born for quarantine. I have zero problems holing up in my house; such is the grace of introversion.

If anything, I can relate to what Ashlee said about social media — it’s getting annoying because people are angry about this and upset about that, this is political and that is a hoax, martial law is out to get us, toilet paper is how “the man” is going to control us all, this is the beginning of the end, nobody can tell ME what I can and can’t do so I’m gonna go out and lick all the doorknobs… WHATEVER.

The sheer noise of it all is nauseating.

That said, I’m active in a couple of text/chat groups with my closest friends so we stay in contact every single day. I got outside and planted a weeping cherry tree on my birthday last weekend — it was sent by one of my friend groups.

I cleaned my house the other day (granted, I could do literally nothing else since the power was out for more than a day, but at least it’s done), I’m staying busy with work, with cooking, with petting my stinky dogs, with terrorizing my children by dancing horribly, and with Netflix.

It’s really not so bad. Staying home is flattening the curve and hopefully having an impact on the lives of others, it’s worth the inconvenience of not being able to venture out into the world the same as before, for as long as it takes. (I also have an autoimmune disease and would prefer not to die, so... it's for my own benefit, too.)

Comment

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

Working...
                              X