Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm Feeling Incredibly Lonely & Isolated After Graduating College

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• I'm Feeling Incredibly Lonely & Isolated After Graduating College

With the future at your fingertips, graduating college can be a very exciting time. But it can also result in feelings of loneliness, uncertainty, and isolation.

Even though graduation couldn't come soon enough, once I graduated I found myself feeling pressured, lonely, worried, and longing for my life before graduating.

How about you?

I wrote this article to share my own experience as well as offer advice on some ways to cope for those who may be currently going through this.

You can read it here:

https://www.womens-health.com/post-college-loneliness

Did you experience post-college loneliness? What did you do to get through it?

Sharing our stories allows us to meaningfully connect with others who may be going through something similar.
    Editor’s Note: This forum post is part of our ongoing series The Roots Of Loneliness Project: Unearthing Why We Feel Alone, the first-of-its-kind directory that comprehensively explores the phenomenon of loneliness and 80+ types that we might experience over the course of our lives.

Click the link to find resources and information on virtually any form of loneliness you may be personally experiencing.
    Last edited by Ashlee T.; 04-20-2020, 07:59 AM.

• Oh Emily, I definitely experienced this! Thank you for sharing your experience.

When I graduated, everyone around me had already secured a full-time job they'd start upon graduation and I had nothing. I had a horribly difficult time selecting a major, to begin with, so I picked a relatively broad business major but that lead me to have NO clue where I'd fit after graduating. So, when the day came and I should have felt like a success for graduating, I already felt like a failure for not having a CLUE what I was going to do with my life.

I ended up being off two weeks before I got my first full-time job and I always wished afterward that I had taken more time with no job. After all....once I began that first full-time job, I'd work full-time for the rest of my life, so why not enjoy a few months unemployed while I could?

I wasn't very social in college so I didn't really miss anyone once I graduated, but I struggled with feelings of inadequacy and inexperience. That passed quickly though. I think just understanding that those feelings are normal and will pass, will be helpful to many.
    "Be what you're looking for."

Comment

• Thanks for sharing your experience, Ashlee!

I was excited to graduate, but I was anxious about what came next. I also didn't have a full-time job to jump into straight after college, and that definitely added to the pressure! Taking a few months after college really isn't the end of the world, though, and it can be a great time to relax, like you said!

Graduating college is definitely an accomplishment, and I hope other recent grads or soon-to-be grads know that it's totally okay to not have things figured out immediately!

Originally posted by Ashlee T. View Post
      Oh Emily, I definitely experienced this! Thank you for sharing your experience.

When I graduated, everyone around me had already secured a full-time job they'd start upon graduation and I had nothing. I had a horribly difficult time selecting a major, to begin with, so I picked a relatively broad business major but that lead me to have NO clue where I'd fit after graduating. So, when the day came and I should have felt like a success for graduating, I already felt like a failure for not having a CLUE what I was going to do with my life.

I ended up being off two weeks before I got my first full-time job and I always wished afterward that I had taken more time with no job. After all....once I began that first full-time job, I'd work full-time for the rest of my life, so why not enjoy a few months unemployed while I could?

I wasn't very social in college so I didn't really miss anyone once I graduated, but I struggled with feelings of inadequacy and inexperience. That passed quickly though. I think just understanding that those feelings are normal and will pass, will be helpful to many.

Comment

• Good luck to everyone graduating this year!

Comment

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

• Squirting or Peeing? Confused with Colour

A friend of mine recently lost her virginity and while she had her first sex she doesn't know anything about it. She enjoyed it but she didn't know whether...

05-28-2020, 10:59 PM By Dawood Naseer
        • Treatment for Perimenopause Anxiety?

Hello guys, What to do about perimenopause symptoms. Several treatments have been studied for managing perimenopausal symptoms. I am confuse, Please help...

05-13-2020, 08:43 AM By Heyperry
        • isolated as a family

husband, preteen, and I have been isolated from others for weeks now

at a loss for how to fill that "peer" need for preteen...

05-08-2020, 11:20 PM By amy40
        • Lulu.com

Is an online bookshop, where everyone self publishes their work. If you're interested, then Google it.

As I always say, this is NOT spam:...

05-06-2020, 07:03 AM By Popcorn&Candy
        • Dr & what would u do if anything

husband needed Dr note to continue work at home
          he's at higher risk
          his longtime Dr did not want to get involved & said if he gave note,...

05-04-2020, 01:35 AM By amy40
        Working...
        X