Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Loneliness During COVID-19 (Survey Results) - Let’s Discuss

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• Loneliness During COVID-19 (Survey Results) - Let’s Discuss

Women’s Health Interactive's survey on loneliness during COVID-19 drew to a close and we made some pretty incredible discoveries when we looked at the data.

In the article linked below, I present the results from our survey, exploring them in detail and including dozens of quotes from people who shared their experiences with us!

Read it here:

http://www.womens-health.com/covid-19-loneliness-survey

What have been the hardest parts about social distancing and shelter-in-place orders for you? What do you most look forward to getting to do after social distancing is over? How have you been dealing with loneliness during social distancing?

• Very interesting survey and pretty revealing.

I am introverted and usually really love being at home -- I think what becomes difficult for all of us, regardless of your personality type, is being FORCED to stay at home, or feeling as if there is no option (and for a while there was not) of seeing others.

Going out to bars, clubs or those types of social venues don't interest me, but like someone mentioned in the article, I do miss the heck of out going to the movies.

I also had to forgo working out with my best friend or seeing him, and while I could still go hiking on my own, there's something visceral about shared experiences. I look forward to having those again soon!

Comment

• Originally posted by JonnyR View Post
      I am introverted and usually really love being at home
      I can very much relate – I’m introverted as well, so there has been very little change in my daily routine, save for one of my jobs switching to a work-from-home environment instead of going into the office. Our office has since closed permanently so we’ll remain working from home even once life is back to “normal.”

Which I honestly kind of love, and will REALLY love it during the winter when I don’t have to drive 25 miles on snowy/icy freeways.

But I do miss seeing my friends face to face, and seeing my mom and grandma. My grandma has been locked in her assisted living facility for the past two months BUT they’re going to start allowing outdoor patio visits (distanced, of course) starting on Monday so I’m REALLY happy about that. I talked to her on the phone today and she actually sounded great; she was really sad and depressed at the start of all this.

It is different when isolation is forced on you this way, but I am looking forward to at least getting to go see people for visits soon. Many things have opened here (bars, restaurants, etc) but I’m not rushing to go out just yet and we’re still wearing masks in public during supply runs.

Comment

• I find the statistics from the survey fascinating. The driving in the snow and ice you mention Alison, was a major factor in my move to California from upstate New York just after college. I don't miss the crowds but I miss being able to go about ordinary life without worrying and without extra precautions.
        I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.
        Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

From a speech by Patrick Henry on March 23, 1775 at St. John's Church, Richmond, Virginia

Comment

• I want to resume work. I also want my hair cut and to be able to go into a shop without queuing up. Basically, I just want a normal life again: I think everyone does.

Anyhow, it is a very lonely time for a great deal of people but people are uniting and are coming together. It is odd that the coronavirus has tried to pull society apart, yet has brought people closer together. But I appreciate it is a lonely time and saddening with so many deaths.

This is a year people will sadly never forget.

Comment

• I'm an introvert so the more this goes on, the more I'm starting to like it especially since:

1) husband taking Mon/Fri off plus grilling food once/wk
            2) preteen has online classes so I don't have to drive daily to class like previous summers/or get up early
            3) decluttering house & putting stuff on curb with FREE sign & fun to watch people take our stuff away, lol
            4) preteen has picked up new hobbies & keeping busy
            5) turning into one big Staycation at least Fri thru M
            6) I've finally bought stuff online for first time & like getting deliveries at front door! (father day gift/hobby stuff for kid)

Comment

• Originally posted by amy40 View Post
              I'm an introvert so the more this goes on, the more I'm starting to like it
              Aside from not getting to go out and see my friends and family like before, I’m really liking it, too.

There has been a shift, I think, in family togetherness. My kids hang out with each other more (granted, they have their snippy fights over stupid things now and again) but there’s something about hunkering down together though this that has created a strange kind of bonding. Like, we’re all stuck here together but in a way, we’re happy about it because we have each other, too.

That’s something I want them to remember. When they’re older and they’re telling their kids or grandkids about the time the world went on lockdown, I want them to recall feeling safe and cared for – even if they got bored sometimes.

I’m still loving not having to drive to work, although I really do miss talking to my boss in the office. We still text all the time, but it’s not the same as taking a 5-minute break to have a conversation while we eat lunch or something. We plan to get together for lunches once in a while at some point when we deem it safe to do so, although that may be quite awhile.

Comment

• I work alone, anyway and often work at home. But I can understand feeling relief at not having a rigid routine that makes a person feel stressed out. I am - essentially - self employed. Although I do work at a charity part-time. I don't drive either, so I don't feel relief at not having to drive.

My sister returns to work on Monday full-time. She had been working at home [we live in separate households], so has still been working very hard. In fact, she kept to all her work hours. Her computer recorded those hours, which were seen by her employers. She worked from 8:15am to 4:15pm straight, bar 30 minutes for lunch. She did well.

As for me: I work for myself, so stay at home anyway working. Still, I miss being able to just pop into the shops and going on the bus. I need my hair cut, too. When lockdown is over, it shall be a visit to the hairdresser.

I think we all need public services - and even though not having to go into work is less stressful - we still need normal life. Plus, the coronavirus has made people realize the value of having a work system and having people work. We all need each other and we all need to work in order to make the system work. We all affect each other: from the boss to the trolley guy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Popcorn&Candy View Post
                  Plus, the coronavirus has made people realize the value of having a work system and having people work. We all need each other and we all need to work in order to make the system work. We all affect each other: from the boss to the trolley guy.
                  You’re right – it has especially shed light on all the “essential” jobs (healthcare, food, other key services) and just how important they really are in our society.

I do look forward to being able to go into a store again without feeling like we’re all putting ourselves in danger doing so. I’ve noticed (FINALLY) a little more mask usage here locally in Ohio, but we’re also having cases climb significantly over the last week or two, so maybe people are finally starting to wise up a bit. Or at least, some of them are.

I have not been bored enough to cut my hair yet though… it’s growing freely, but I normally cut my own hair and I’ve just left it alone. Although my husband is thrilled I’ve let my bangs grow out (I liked my midlife-crisis bangs, they were cute). They’re just a hassle to have when I’m not styling my hair every day to go to work or go out, though.

Comment

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

Working...
                  X