Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

COVID-19

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• COVID-19

How is COVID-19 affecting your life?
    I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.
    Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

From a speech by Patrick Henry on March 23, 1775 at St. John's Church, Richmond, Virginia

• I am wondering if I will be able to go back to the USA next month. My first leg has been changed causing a 24 hour plus layover in Taiwan. I've been using one of those "ineffective" medical masks in public since the end of Chinese New Year in late January. The only exception was going to a wedding a dozen days ago. Because of the problem a cold or fever could present, I have tried to not get those. One thing that has caused a cold in the past is too much air from a fan, so I have limited that as much as possible (if I blow a fan on me without a shirt overnight, I almost always get a cold). Best wishes to all on staying safe.
    I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.
    Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

From a speech by Patrick Henry on March 23, 1775 at St. John's Church, Richmond, Virginia

Comment

• For me....it would be easier to answer how is it NOT. .

Online work doesn't change much, of course. But my university work......yikes. EVERYTHING is changing. And as a result, operations have to change with it. And people don't like change. Panic mode....emergency purchases.....everything is urgent.....and we're still being asked to keep our offices open and operating all the while "allow those who don't want to come in not to come in". Yeah....okay.....that's not at all contradictory.

I'm trying to social distance but there is tremendous unspoken peer pressure by other higher level mgmt. They say "stay home if you want...." but "I'll be here every day". As a manager, that is so difficult. I've got staff who are being required to come in to do things they cannot do from home and that makes it so hard for me to stay at home. I keep hoping they'll just shut us down except the emergency/necessity stuff.

Unlike some areas on the west and east coast, we haven't had a full shut down or shelter-in-place mandates. Small businesses are suffering tremendously, while it seems that large organizations are still being permitted to run. It's all a very weird situation.
      "Be what you're looking for."

Comment

• My state & my college took an aggressive path a little earlier than others, I think. My classes moved to all online over a week ago. I don't prefer online learning so I never schedule classes this way, so the transition has been a challenge. I have kept up my GPA until now, and I fear it will drop this semester. So far, I'm managing, but it's hard to maintain any structure at home.

Local stores are all closed now, restaurants and bars are closed, other than for delivery and carry-out, and groceries are limiting hours as well. Many businesses have closed, altered services, or severely limiting hours.

It's taken some effort for me to stay home.

I was laid off one of my jobs today. It's not a huge deal as I have 2 other "regular" jobs, and one other I'm on standby for. I have a new job at one of the major hospitals, so I know I'm going to have all the hours I want in the coming weeks.

I have asthma, so I'm in a group at higher risk for complications **when I do** catch this thing. And it's almost inevitable that I will, I just hope it isn't in the midst of the chaos. I've bumped up my doses of vitamins and taking extra care to eat well and be good to my body. I've practiced social distancing and all the usual precautions, but at the hospital, I'm sure there's no hiding from it.

It's been eerie, at times. I am not hearing the sounds of traffic, the sounds of planes passing over head as I sit quietly working on my assignments. I just look forward to a trail outdoors this weekend!

Comment

• Originally posted by atskitty2 View Post
          My classes moved to all online over a week ago. I don't prefer online learning so I never schedule classes this way, so the transition has been a challenge. I have kept up my GPA until now, and I fear it will drop this semester. So far, I'm managing, but it's hard to maintain any structure at home.
          I liked going to class as I found the interaction with the professor and other students to be very valuable. Not everyone looks at things the same way and I learned of different views and different approaches to problem solving from others. Unfortunately, online classes often miss out on that interaction. The way I approached the situation of one professor who didn't have great class discussion skills was to do every question at the end of the chapters in the class textbook, not just the assigned ones. That prepared me properly for the exams.

Comment

• apparently a lot of places have our email

everyday, a new email is saying "we are closed" from the school, church, library, to zoo and pediatric dentist
            others are saying "reduced hours" such as stores we frequent

I am going out after 9 if we need something
            it is a good time as only saw about 3 customers tonight

husband requested to work from home & denied

Comment

• Originally posted by amy40 View Post
              apparently a lot of places have our email

everyday, a new email is saying "we are closed" from the school, church, library, to zoo and pediatric dentist
              others are saying "reduced hours" such as stores we frequent

I am going out after 9 if we need something
              it is a good time as only saw about 3 customers tonight

husband requested to work from home & denied
              I get phone messages from a school that must have one of my Magic Jack phone numbers in their records. I got the number a couple of years ago. This does not happen with the main phone number as I have had that number for almost 30 years. I have also got a lot of similar emails. I sent an email to my former colleagues to find out what was happening. One replied and said work was going on as normal.

Comment

• jns, we have ability with our online class software to do face-to-face meetings with our instructors as needed. Some professors are making mandatory discussion assignments in which we have to post our thoughts on a topic, then we are required also to respond to other's posts, and the professor is there guiding the discussion. That's helpful, and I enjoy that.
                I miss my classmates and discussing not only the classes, but the struggles we are all facing with the courses. We were kind of a close-knit group, and we helped each other. Texting doesn't seem to give that same comraudery.

Comment

• I haven't read the other posts, but will answer your question, jns: I don't travel very often anymore. I did - for most of my life - but now tend to stick to local places. I'm not too worried about catching the virus, although am ill today. I'm not so ill I need hospital treatment, but am under the weather. I won't risk going out today, however.

I wash my hands often: all that jazz. I am aware of hygiene and upping my hygiene levels is how this virus has affected my life. Again, I don't travel very often, so that aspect doesn't affect me too much.

Comment

• Hi, I'm new to posting here, but I've been a lurker for a while

I'm a nurse but haven't been working in my typical speciality (intensive care) lately. We are definitely in very interesting times and I've been working more at home lately. I appreciate that most people here appear to following the rules of social distancing. I already wash my hands quite often but I'm glad that others are starting to see the importance of hand hygiene!

There's a lot of uncertainty going around and that causes anxiety for me, but I manage it with yoga, meditation, and trying to keep a positive outlook.

Comment

• kmnotes, I'm so glad you decided to step out of the shadows and join us! Welcome!

Comment

• Welcome too, kmnotes.

Comment

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

Working...
                        X