Women's Health Interactive Forums

  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.


No announcement yet.

What happening? What should I do?

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • What happening? What should I do?

    within the last 2-3 weeks I've been itchy "down there" just on the outer region and near the inside of my thighs. At first it was mildly uncomfortable, but it's gotten to the point where I couldn't help but to scratch, since then it has now become swollen, red, even more itchy, burns, and it's basically like raw skin. I can go about life normally during the day, but it feels as if when I go to bed, it get incredibly itchy and I can't help but to scratch. Once I scratch I can't stop and that leaves me up all night in pain, unable to get comfortable because no matter what way I try to move, it hurts so bad. I recently have been taking AZO. At first it helped with the normal dosage it said "3 times a day" but now if I want any relief I have to take 2 pills about 5 times a day plus a pain killer in the morning (because I'm still in pain from scratching that I can't sleep at all. It doesn't hurt when I pee so it's just on the outside mainly the outside vulva area.
    I'm 19, over weight and never been to an OB/GYN, and I'm scared to pay a visit for the first time when I've let things get this bad. What should I do?

  • A trip to the doctor would be best. You need a proper diagnosis, but it sounds like a yeast infection that is worsening. We have no way of knowing, but if it is a yeast infection, over the counter monistat may help. However, a doctor can give you a prescription that isn't messy like monistat and it works fast.


    • Here are some reasons why you could be itching. However, it's always best to see your doctor rather than rely on over-the-counter products that may just mask the symptoms or a serious problem.

      •Infections. For example: thrush, threadworms, scabies, and some sexually transmitted infections.
      •Skin conditions may affect vulval skin. For example: eczema, psoriasis, lichen simplex, lichen planus and lichen sclerosus.
      •Sensitisation of the vulval skin to soaps, perfumes, deodorants, excessive sweat, condoms, wet wipes, textile dyes, detergents, fabric conditioners, sanitary wear, etc.
      •Urinary or faecal incontinence. This can make the skin of the vulva moist and irritated.
      •Menopause. Because of lower oestrogen levels, the vulval skin tends to become thinner and drier after the menopause, which can make it prone to itch.
      •Pregnancy can cause itch due to vulval engorgement. There is also an increased risk of vaginal discharge and thrush during pregnancy, which may cause itch.
      •Breast-feeding can cause itch due to low oestrogen levels.
      •Any cause of a generalised body itch may also cause itching of the vulva. For example, a generalised body itch may be a side-effect of some medicines or due to some blood disorders, thyroid problems or kidney or liver disease.
      •Diabetes can cause itch in the vulval area.
      •A cancer of the vulval skin is an uncommon cause.
      •Unknown cause. In some cases, no cause can be found.
      That which we forget may as well never really happened.


      • "I'm 19, over weight and never been to an OB/GYN, and I'm scared to pay a visit for the first time when I've let things get this bad. What should I do?"

        Don't be embarrased it's their job...to us it seems incredibly embarrassing but they see intimate areas all day long and I bet most people only go when they have a problem and have left it for a while (hoping it will get better). It sounds unbearable so book yourself in ASAP. Don't worry about your weight either, everbody gets things like this sometimes and that is what keeps OB/GYN's in their jobs so don't feel bad as you are actually helping them out!!

        Once you've been think how much better you will feel, they might not even need to look, sometimes they just ask symptoms and then perscribe or they might ask you to go to bathroom to do a swab yourself. Even if you do have to bare all don't worry and act confident and think they will have seen all sorts before xxx


        • Yes, to me this does sound like a yeast infection/thrush in the crevasse there is likely. It's also likely it won't go away on it's own and you should get checked out by an OB/GYN. They specialize in the female reproductive system and I imagine after days and years of swabbing vaginas every single work day, they've probably gotta be desensitized to make any kind of judgement on your anatomy. They've seen it all and I've never met an ob/gyn that wasn't sensitive to someones discomfort, they are as quick as they can be. To me, the anticipation is the hardest part. Please go have yourself checked out before it gets worse. I can't imagine having to deal with that itching and lack of sleep.


          • You need to go to a doctor (doesn't have to be an gyno) to at least determine if it's a yeast or bacterial infection since the symptoms are nearly identical. You can treat a yeast infection otc without going to the doctor but if your wrong because this is the first time this has happened and you don't know what a yeast infection feels like you could make things worse.

            Until you get to the doctor get some vagisil wipes and use them before bed. Also don't pile on the blankets or use really warm blankets that don't breathe. The reason it gets worse at night is moisture plus heat. During the day you are walking around with your underwear absorbing moisture and your clothes exchanging air flow but at night a lot of people make it cooler in their house and then pile on the blanket sometimes without wearing any under garments. Blankets and lack of movement leads to no air flow, moisture builds, heat builds, and yeast or bacteria infections go nuts.

            Azo long term or beyond the recommended dose can permanently dye the whites of your eyes yellow and will stain contacts. The reason you are having to take so much is that it isn't treating the problem. It numbs a very small area on the outside only when you pee it out. Most of it's job is to numb the bladder itself. The other problem is the doctor will want to test you for a urinary tract infection and they can't do that when your urine is so dark from taking azo. They end up having to do a several day culture instead of an instant color stick test. If they put you on antibiotics just in case during those few days and it's a yeast infection you could again get worse. If they don't put you on antibiotics and it is an infection you get to suffer for several more days.


            • I still go to a pediatrician, and it usually takes months to have an appointment.
              It's gotten worse since then. like unbearable pain, I can't help but to scratch or else, it hurts more, and I start twitching if I don't.
              Ice isn't helping and I'm afraid the AZO isn't either.
              Besides the fact that my doctor is always booked for months at a time, it's about an hour away by car with no traffic.
              Would it be to much for me to the hospital, I've been up all night/morning in pain scratching, and trying to find/do something that will ease the pain but nothing has worked, or it's only made it worse. Should I go? If so should I go to the ER or should I go to the front desk and see if there is an OB/GYN available? I'm not sure what to do.


              • If there is an urgent care facility near you, then go. Or, you could trying calling some local gyns. and explain that you have never been to one and tell them your situations. Maybe they could work you in. If not, go to the ER. You probably need medication to eliminate the problem and the longer you procrastinate, the worse the situation is going to get. Hope you feel better soon.


                • I agree with the others, you need to see a doctor, and it's probably time to get a GP and or a Gyno rather than a pediatrician. In the meantime what you must do is refrain from wearing anything that will rub against the areas. This would mean no under panties with elastic in the legs. You must keep the area as dry and clean as possible. If the skin is actually torn you'll probably need a topical anti-biotic. The scratch/itch cycle is horrible I know but you must somehow refrain from scratching. At night you may want to put on cotton gloves as a reminder not to scratch. You usually can purchase a cortisone cream in low doses over the counter at the pharmacy. I believe you can get .5% and 1%. Use this following your shower or bath, ensure you spread it evenly and allow it to soak in and dry. This should help with the itching. Have you ruled out any changes in your life that would account for any allergic reaction, ie new foods that you've tried, medications, have you changed out your laundry detergent, fabric softener, or any shampoo or soaps that you are using? If you have, go back to your old products for a while and see if the change helps.
                  That which we forget may as well never really happened.


                  • This is when I use urgent care. They are walk in clinics. You can also go to a hospital and say you need to see a doctor quickly are any available and they might have a general practitioner with an opening. My husband doesn't have a specific doctor and doesn't make appointments unless certain tests need done. He just goes to the local hospital and they find someone with an opening. You can request appointments online for many places these days too. Although the system isn't working right for our hospital. They are suppose to answer back same day and instead it takes like a month so the online thing doesn't work here. Living in the middle of nowhere problem. Gynos generally always have wait times. You can also walk in to places like planned parenthood for these problems. You just might have to sit awhile. If all that fails and you have insurance you should probably go to the ER.



                    Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

                    Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

                    Latest Posts in Our Forums


                    • Reply to LIES

                      I don't tend to lie as such: but I will tactfully tell the truth/bend the truth, so as to not hurt the other person's feelings. Sometimes you HAVE to...

                      Today, 09:05 AM By Popcorn&Candy
                    • Reply to LIES

                      I'm an open book person & feel compelled to "confess" things to husband like if I think some man I saw is good-looking, lol


                      Yesterday, 10:23 AM By amy40
                    • Reply to Have You Heard Of An Amicable Divorce? Let's Discuss.

                      I agree 100%. I wished many times that my parents had just divorced and moved on. I think my mother would be miserable regardless, but I think Dad could...

                      Yesterday, 04:22 AM By atskitty2
                    • Reply to Pre Mature Ejaculation problem

                      Welcome to Women's Health Interactive Forums. Could you go into the details a bit more? Not just the physical aspects but also how you relate to each...

                      07-30-2020, 03:44 PM By jns
                    • Pre Mature Ejaculation problem

                      Hi, My husband has been suffering from Pre Mature Ejaculation problem. Because it is breaking our relationship. Need advice on how to get rid of it.

                      07-30-2020, 02:16 PM By mitu017

                    Latest Topics in Our Forums