Women's Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ER Visit shows a cyst on an ovary, but could it be something else?

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ER Visit shows a cyst on an ovary, but could it be something else?

First, let me start by saying that I have gone to the ER 4 times this year over this pain. I do not have a regular doctor anymore since I lost my insurance in Nov last year when Obamacare started taking place. I have Medicaid share-of-cost and because I don't meet my required amount of money every month, I'm still considered insured and cannot go on a sliding scale with the health department.. so I have to pay full price for everything there. I'm out of work, trying to get a job, but as of right now I just can't afford $100-200 visits with the local department.

Back in April this year, I went to the ER with unbearable pain in my right lower abdomen. CT scan, blood work, urine sample was collected, and I had a pap smear done.
    CT scan: Ovaries clear.
    Blood work: Perfect. Tested me for STD's. (Had to wait a week for results, I came back negative on them all.)
    Urine sample: White blood cell count pretty high, showing signs of a UTI.
    Pap smear: Was immediately told I had a yeast infection and a PID. ************Note: Before any test results came back, the doctor specifically told me I had a yeast infection and a PID."

When I was discharged, I was given an antibiotic and pain killers. Antibiotics was to treat chlamydia. (Which by the way, is very expensive.)

I went back 4 days later with the pain still there and was told again, there was nothing there. They told me to finish my antibiotics and was also given a shot in my hip (another antibiotic).

Pain went away by the following day. I still finished the antibiotics.

Fast forward to the end of September. I go back to the ER for the same pain. This time when I had a CT scan, the doctor said I had a small ovarian cyst. He didn't tell me what side it was on, but that I should give it a couple of days and if it doesn't go away, I need to come back in to see him. I said okay. He gave me papers about cysts and I went home. I tried Aleve, Tylenol, Advil, Motrin, and Midol. None of those would take away this pinging pain I'm constantly feeling. I'm constantly cramping throughout the month like I'm going to have my period but it doesn't come until the end of the months (as it normally does.)

The pain didn't subside. So, I'm constantly cramping and getting this pinging pain in the area of my right ovary. The pain shoots into my lower back and it makes me feel extremely uncomfortable. I have a history of kidney stones, so on a scale of 1-10 I can only rate the pain up to a 7 or 8 because a 9 or 10 (to me) is the feeling of when a kidney stone travels.

I went to the ER last night. Same pain, only now when it shoots down to my lower back/butt area, it makes it impossible to sit still. I had an ultrasound done and was told I have a complex ovarian cyst on the left ovary. This "could be" the reason why I have pain on my right side. When the doctor was pushing my ovaries, he hit the pain spot-on on my right side. It's been throbbing since then, even after they gave me pain medication. During the ultrasound, any time she pushed to the right with the wand (internal ultrasound was done) I felt uncomfortable and was even more sore afterwards. After my urine sample was tested, I am again showing early signs of a UTI. I also have "free flowing fluid" in my uterus, which is what he said could be causing me pain on the other side. HOWEVER, if I had fluid coming from a cyst on the left side, wouldn't it also affect that side too? I don't know.. So he gave me antibiotics for that too. His response to everything? "If it doesn't go away within a couple days, come see me again and we'll run more tests."

I'm not sure what to do anymore. I told this ER doctor of my past visits to the ER I usually go to, and his answer was, "If you had another PID, we would have seen it in the ultrasound images."
    What erked me was the fact that he was so sure at first that the cyst is what causing me the pain on the opposite side, then after me asking questions, it was a "could be". I need answers. I know it isn't normal to be hurting for over a month. Most of the time it's uncomfortable but bearable. I go to the ER when I can't stand it anymore. I'm only nervous because the pain has been in the same spot since I was told I had an infection there and afraid of it being another infection and just not being treated for it. After my visit to the ER at the end of September, I chose not to go back because it said ovarian cysts could cause pain up to 2-3 weeks. But if this doesn't go away after a "couple days" as I was told by this ER doctor, I guess I'm going back.

I guess I'm asking if any ladies have had a similar problem, or if this constant pain could be something other than a cyst on the opposite ovary.
or

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

• Reply to LIES

amy40 I'm curious how you can tell they're lying and know this with any degree of certainty?...

Today, 01:37 PM By atskitty2
  • Reply to LIES

I don't tend to lie as such: but I will tactfully tell the truth/bend the truth, so as to not hurt the other person's feelings. Sometimes you HAVE to...

Today, 09:05 AM By Popcorn&Candy
  • Reply to LIES

I'm an open book person & feel compelled to "confess" things to husband like if I think some man I saw is good-looking, lol

Yesterday, 10:23 AM By amy40
  • Reply to Have You Heard Of An Amicable Divorce? Let's Discuss.

I agree 100%. I wished many times that my parents had just divorced and moved on. I think my mother would be miserable regardless, but I think Dad could...

Yesterday, 04:22 AM By atskitty2
  • Reply to Pre Mature Ejaculation problem

Welcome to Women's Health Interactive Forums. Could you go into the details a bit more? Not just the physical aspects but also how you relate to each...

07-30-2020, 03:44 PM By jns

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

Working...
X