Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long should a cold last??

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• How long should a cold last??

I dont know if this is an answer 'how long is a piece of string?', but i was wondering whether there was a 'life span' on a cold- and when they should clear up.

Ive had a cold for aaaaages! started atleast 3 weeks ago. It started with a sore throat - basically just felt really itchy and sore to swallow. That lasted for about a week, and then i got a cold (snotty nose and a cough). Its got a lot better and now its just a small cough i have and a bit of cattarah (sorry about the SP). But yeah - ive had it for going on 3 weeks.

The thing is, my mum has picked up a massive cold. (she works with kids) - so im guessing that no doubt i will get it aswell.

I will admit, i was a bit worried as i didnt really think colds would last this long. I feel well, but i know its still there a bit. Should it really have gone?
    "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - Chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO-HOO what a ride!!"
    "I dream about being with you forever." - Twilight

• I'm not sure how things are over there, but it seems like anybody and everybody here is sick with a cold right now. Not just even where I live, but I talk to people all over the country every day and EVERYONE seems to be sick. I started off with a sinus infection and upper respiratory infection about 3 weeks ago, went to the Dr and got meds two weeks ago and I'm still coughing and congested and nasally. I started using my Nasonex spray to see if that would help any today.

So, I don't really have an answer for you, but right now, it seems like a long time.

Comment

• Originally posted by LanaBear View Post
      I'm not sure how things are over there, but it seems like anybody and everybody here is sick with a cold right now. Not just even where I live, but I talk to people all over the country every day and EVERYONE seems to be sick. I started off with a sinus infection and upper respiratory infection about 3 weeks ago, went to the Dr and got meds two weeks ago and I'm still coughing and congested and nasally. I started using my Nasonex spray to see if that would help any today.

So, I don't really have an answer for you, but right now, it seems like a long time.
      that makes me feel a bit better, even though its bad for you i totally feel for you though as colds are such a pain in the butt.

It has just been stressing me out as i was being teased earlier by one of my mates saying that its not natural etc etc to have a cold for this long. harsh friend. ha!
      "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - Chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO-HOO what a ride!!"

Comment

• Colds can last 3 weeks if they are severe, more flu type "colds", as yours is You started with a sore throat etc, not just a small cold with a runny nose.

Also if you are run down, it will last longer as your body tries to fight it...

If you weren't so addicted here, you would have rested more and gotten rid of it Only joking..

But rest is very important as is fluids.

So, tell your friend that you don't have to have the sweats and body aches some colds are very very heavy and don't go away fast.

Keep warm, rest more, drink water, drink warm water with lemon juice and honey
        PUT A LITTLE 'LIKE' IN MY SOUL!

Comment

• You may have more of a bacterial infection as opposed to your run-of-the-mill cold virus.. Those types of infections take a while longer for the body to fight off.

If it keeps persisting, or if you notice your symptoms getting worse, you might just want to stop in at your Doctor and see if he/she can give you something to help fight off the ickies, antibiotics or the like...

Comment

• Originally posted by CHANDLERS WISH View Post
            If you weren't so addicted here, you would have rested more and gotten rid of it Only joking..

But rest is very important as is fluids.

So, tell your friend that you don't have to have the sweats and body aches some colds are very very heavy and don't go away fast.

Keep warm, rest more, drink water, drink warm water with lemon juice and honey
            hahahaha! your so right - maybe it is because i have been neglecting myself for this site. haha!

Yeah, i know im worrying about nothing - its just that when i get something in my head it takes ALOT to get it out. my mate harrassing me making it to be something bigger certainly didnt help.

Comment

• It denpents on what kinda of cold it is onhow long it will last. If you wanted to get better faster. You need to sleep a lot and take over the counter meds or if it very bad go to the dr

Comment

• Great post, Loric2014. I agree 100%.

Comment

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

• Vagina Itch

Hi, im having a vagina itch without discharge. It started a few days before my period, Im having period now and the itchiness is still on going. Is this...

Today, 12:40 AM By lucy
                • Reply to What Is Your Favourite Perfume?

I like a light scent, nothing over powering and usually a natural smell, like a floral. I do have a bottle of a Calvin Klein fragrance, I think it is....

Yesterday, 06:36 PM By atskitty2
                • Reply to Eyebrows!

I groom my brows. I pluck to maintain a nice, clean shape, then fill in some thinning areas with a powder or pencil. That's about it. Color matching is...

Yesterday, 06:33 PM By atskitty2
                • Reply to Birth Control / Migraines, etc.

Who is to say that your mother/sisters/grandmother and whoever else suffers from migraines don't ALSO have food allergies or food intolerances? Those...

Yesterday, 09:56 AM By Ashlee T.
                • Reply to Birth Control / Migraines, etc.

Thanks Ashlee! It's funny you mention that because I actually have SIBO and have been trying to address food issues to see what might be the culprit....

Yesterday, 08:22 AM By lp84

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

• Vagina Itch

Hi, im having a vagina itch without discharge. It started a few days before my period, Im having period now and the itchiness is still on going. Is this...

Today, 12:40 AM By lucy
                • What Is Your Favourite Perfume?

Mine is Clinique Happy.

Over to you!

Yesterday, 05:50 AM By Popcorn&Candy
                • Eyebrows!

What's YOUR style? Bold and full? Thin and groomed? I keep mine the latter. Still, full brows look fabulous on many women and I love the eyebrow makeup/grooming...

Yesterday, 05:47 AM By Popcorn&Candy
                • Birth Control / Migraines, etc.

Hi Guys!

Wondering if I can get some advice here. I was on Yasmin for years and about a year ago switched to Lo Loestrin because my...

07-22-2019, 09:59 AM By lp84
                • Any remedy to kill cramps during periods?

I’m 22 years old, and my cramps have always been very bad to the point that I throw up and miss school or practice. Is something wrong with me, because...

07-22-2019, 05:40 AM By jehand
                Working...
                X