Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Medical alert jewellery

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• Medical alert jewellery

Hi there,

I would love to know if anyone wears medical alert jewellery or bands.

I ask because, I recently purchased my diabetic nephew a Mediband. He plays a lot of football so if he were to be taken ill or injured, the people who would need to know about his condition, would do. A massive piece of mind I'm sure you will agree.

I would love to hear your opinions or any similar experiences.

Thanks

x

• good call. I think they are a good thing.

Comment

• Originally posted by ladypat View Post
      Hi there,

I would love to know if anyone wears medical alert jewellery or bands.

I ask because, I recently purchased my diabetic nephew a Mediband. He plays a lot of football so if he were to be taken ill or injured, the people who would need to know about his condition, would do. A massive piece of mind I'm sure you will agree.

I would love to hear your opinions or any similar experiences.

Thanks

x
      My step son's type 1 and also plays alot of sports.

He may not want to wear the bracelet, but at a minimum should have it around his neck.

If not, wring his neck.

Make sure he has travel kit on hand at all times. You'll never know when a low will strike.

Comment

• I have one not for diabetes though. I hate how long the necklace is and it is made of the thicker metal chain...just isn't flattering in any way lol. I used to have the bracelet but again not so great looking. I am ordering a new thinner necklace and I always either keep it around my neck or visible in my wallet. No matter what those are the places a medical professional is going to look.
        There are those who believe that dictionaries should not merely reflect the times but also protect English from the mindless assaults of the trendy.

Comment

• I agree,

Some mediacal alert jewellery is very ugly, and unpractical!

The Mediband I bought is perfect, it's safe, cheap, subtle (but contains all the right information)

I can't believe more people dont wear them. Rather shocking when you consider the high rates of diabetes and other illnesses around today.

x

Comment

• i think they're amazing.

i have, well it was kind of a joke initially
            but a necklace my friends had made for me
            that says 'manic depression' then i have a card in my wallet with medication details and things on it.
            just in case i go mad and get brought in by the police they'll know to take me to hospital instead.

to reiterate
            they're amazing.
            x
            'so why care for these petty obsessions? your designer heart still beats with common blood. and what if you could have genetic perfection? would you change who you are if you could?'

Comment

• I got one because i have a very complicated medical condition that no one could just do once over of and immediately know what i have. I rarely wear it because i am not out and about much on my own yet so... you get the point.
              :cool: bye.

Comment

• the stupid bracelet that i got is so ugly and big, i wish it was a little more feminine.
                :cool: bye.

Comment

• There are many feminine medical ID bracelets---at American Medical ID they are on the web.---I ordered mine online and got it in 48 hours. I have a feminine bracelet for work and I wear my heavier--Dog Tag style ID for the Gym. Medical ID are a must for anyone with cardiac, stroke, diabetes, and other food and medicine allergies. I wear mine at the gym because of having a "Dairy ---aka WHEY" allergy I don't want to go into shock ordering a smoothie....too many protein shakes have Whey in it....and is a big no no for me.

Comment

• I've been hoping to get one from RoadID (I like the larger, sportsband ones) once I've had a suspected condition confirmed. My primary concern is my severe allergy to NSAIDs (Aleve, Advil, esp Aspirin) that I developed, but the two and possibly third other conditions I need marked off too. I currently carry a CVS brand USB ID with stickers on my wallet to say it's in there. Theoretically, someone can plug it into any windows machine and bring up everything I've input on it. I did sharpie "NO NSAIDs" directly onto the card.

Comment

• Hiya there,

I wear a medic alert braclett and I agree a lot of then are ugly and big but there is a very large variety now, they have everything from watches to £200 + gold braclets. What I say is that it can save ur life if you have a hiden illnessand I wouldn't go anywhere without mine.

Comment

• I don't know about Alert 1, but I have got my braclet from MedicAlert, which is an internation company who make alert braclets and they have a very wide variety of products and it has helped
                        saved my life a couple of times

Comment

• In my experience, I've found that giving my elderly mother her own medical alert service at least gave me peace of mind in the moments that I was not able to be there for her. That way, she could get emergency help if she needed, just by pushing a button and nothing else. Anyways, I find every little bit helps. Best of luck to everyone in their search.
                          Last edited by KMonte85; 10-21-2011, 07:48 AM. Reason: removed outbound link

Comment

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

• Reply to What Is Your Favourite Perfume?

I like a light scent, nothing over powering and usually a natural smell, like a floral. I do have a bottle of a Calvin Klein fragrance, I think it is....

Today, 06:36 PM By atskitty2
                          • Reply to Eyebrows!

I groom my brows. I pluck to maintain a nice, clean shape, then fill in some thinning areas with a powder or pencil. That's about it. Color matching is...

Today, 06:33 PM By atskitty2
                          • Reply to Birth Control / Migraines, etc.

Who is to say that your mother/sisters/grandmother and whoever else suffers from migraines don't ALSO have food allergies or food intolerances? Those...

Today, 09:56 AM By Ashlee T.
                          • Reply to Birth Control / Migraines, etc.

Thanks Ashlee! It's funny you mention that because I actually have SIBO and have been trying to address food issues to see what might be the culprit....

Today, 08:22 AM By lp84
                          • Reply to Any remedy to kill cramps during periods?

Hi jehand. I have removed the link in your post. Outbound linking is not permitted here.

Have you been checked for uterine fibroids? My...

Today, 08:00 AM By Ashlee T.

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

• What Is Your Favourite Perfume?

Mine is Clinique Happy.

Over to you!

Today, 05:50 AM By Popcorn&Candy
                          • Eyebrows!

What's YOUR style? Bold and full? Thin and groomed? I keep mine the latter. Still, full brows look fabulous on many women and I love the eyebrow makeup/grooming...

Today, 05:47 AM By Popcorn&Candy
                          • Birth Control / Migraines, etc.

Hi Guys!

Wondering if I can get some advice here. I was on Yasmin for years and about a year ago switched to Lo Loestrin because my...

Yesterday, 09:59 AM By lp84
                          • Any remedy to kill cramps during periods?

I’m 22 years old, and my cramps have always been very bad to the point that I throw up and miss school or practice. Is something wrong with me, because...

Yesterday, 05:40 AM By jehand
                          • Do You Love Ireland?

I fell in love with Ireland years and years ago. It is a magical place and I have such nostalgia when I think of my times there.

If you ever...

Today, 05:32 AM By Popcorn&Candy
                          Working...
                          X