Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dog Allergies

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• Dog Allergies

I am in desperate need of help. My husband has been allergic to dogs for years. After many years of yearning for a dog, my children (19 and 17) and I researched hypoallergenic dogs and finally purchased a cockapoo for Christmas. From our research, this breed seemed perfect in so many ways. Three weeks went by and all was well with my husband's allergies. We were thrilled as our little puppy quickly became part of the family and brought so much joy to our home. Then, all of a sudden, his asthma like symptoms began appearing. He immediately started Zyrtec and stayed in the basement away from the dog. When he finally agreed to see an allergy doctor, (he had never been tested), of course, the test for dog came up very positive. When I questioned the test for a hypoallergenic dog, the doctor agreed the test is not 100% reliable. They could only test using our dog's actual hair. In the meantime, we have had our dog removed from our home and sent to my brothers, 90 minutes away. This is absolutely devastating. Today, when we had the actual test for the dog's hair, it came up completely negative, not even the slightest inkling of any reaction. How can this be? The doctor still says not to bring the dog back into the home. I am just still suspicious. It doesn't make any sense. I would get in bed at night after having the dog climbing all over my pajamas and my husband would sleep perfectly fine. I would even lay my bathrobe on top of the bed. Same thing - no reaction from my husband. None of this makes any sense.

Has anyone else ever experienced this? I am so desperate to bring our dog home. After wanting a dog so terribly for so many years, to finally getting one, only to have it taken away after 6 weeks is so incredibly difficult. There must be an explanation why the test comes up negative, yet my husband still has a reaction. He was also found to be allergic to dust mites and mold. The doctor said a false negative only happens about 10% of the time so I am convinced the test is accurate. Please any advice or suggestions you may have would be most welcomed.

• When his symptoms started appearing, did staying away from the dog help? Because I wonder if those symptoms flared up from something completely different, like dust or mold which you mentioned, which is everywhere, even in the cleanest of homes.

Has he tried taking allergy medicine? I have a moderate allergy towards cats but Benadryl does the trick. If his reactions are more severe, then a stronger medication might help.

I would also suggest maybe running the test again...?

But at the end of the day, loved people are more important than loved animals. I know it's hard, but I'm confident you'll make the right decision regarding your husband's health.

Comment

• Pet Allergy

Thank you so much for your prompt reply. It is actually hard to tell if his symptoms got better because as soon as he came home from work, he would eat dinner in the kitchen, with the family and the dog. Then, retreat to the basement for the rest of the night. He was never really around the dog that much to know for certain. He won't take any allergy medication on a long term basis because throughout our marriage (25 years), he has suffered with Crohn's Disease and was on lots of medication. He had surgery 5 years ago and is now only a couple of maintenance prescriptions. I completely understand this and would never ask him to go through the allergy shots as the doctor suggested for at least one year. I don't know if there are any long term effects from taking Zyrtec.

Comment

• Here is my experience for what it is worth. Allergies are so tricky and often a person suffers from multiple allergies. There is no such thing as an allergy-free pet. There are pets that are less likely to trigger allergy symptoms.

I suffer from HORRIBLE indoor allergies. (pet dander, dust mite allergens, mold). I decided that I wanted pets in my life and I chose a poodle mix - like you. I own 2 adorable cavipoos. (half Cavalier King Spaniel - half poodle) And - yes even though they are "hypoallergenic" - they do trigger allergic responses in me. But - I love these little munchkins and so I kept searching for a solution.

I use a product called Chrisal Allergy Free and Chrisal All-Purpose Cleaner. The same company also has a line of pet products called BFF Probiotic Pet Products. These products are natural probiotic products - perfect for people with sensitive immune systems. I have had reduced symptoms not only from the dog but from dust mite allergens and mold allergens. I spray my bedding ( and the dog's bedding) with Chrisal Allergy Free and I mist the dogs twice a day with BFF Dermal Spray. I clean my bathrooms and kitchen with the probiotic cleaners.

I breath fine around the dogs. I do still experience mild itchiness on my skin.
        For me - these products have been the first relief I've had in years. But - any allergy sufferer will tell you - each person's immune system is different. Might be worth a try though? **Removed outbound link**

Also - if your husband read alot. Make sure that he either has a Kindle or some electronic reading apparatus. Books are full of dust mite allergens. As an avid reader I can tell you that my Kindle has reduced my allergies a lot! **Removed outbound link**

Good luck to your family - I'd be devastated if I had to give up my cavipoos.
        Last edited by LanaBear; 04-07-2010, 02:11 PM. Reason: Removed outbound link

Comment

• my young daughter also has an allergy to pets hair. What i did is i tried to purchase air indoor purifier. so far so good. it is effective.

Comment

• When he first started showing symptoms did you change any of your cleaning products, notice any extra humidity, mildew, spots in the bathroom, etc?

Mold is a serious allergen even for those of us lucky enough to not have seasonal allergies, and it can appear anywhere there is moisture and food ("food" for mold is anything organic - your walls, your floors, your wallpaper, the dead skin cells and hair that are probably stuck around and under your tub liner (if you have one)... you get the picture).

You might want to clean out your bedroom closet and his dresser to see if that helps... if he's allergic to dust/mites, then a good closet cleaning might alleviate symptoms. Closets are often the least cleaned place in the house, so they have a lot of chances to gather dust and mold which can be transferred onto his clothes!

It really doesn't sound like he's allergic to the dog; his symptoms just showed up at the same time! I hope you get to the bottom of this and can reunite your husband AND the dog!

Comment

• Symptoms of Dog Allergies

The symptoms of dog allergies are usually like those of any other nasal allergy. They include:

coughing and wheezing
              red, itchy eyes
              runny, itchy, stuffy nose
              sneezing

Some people with dog allergies also have skin reactions. For instance, their skin might break out where a dog licks them. Others with more severe allergies might develop hives on their face or chest. People with asthma as well as pet allergies can have especially serious symptoms. Use this Allergy Forum to discuss more.

Comment

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

• Any remedy to kill cramps during periods?

I’m 22 years old, and my cramps have always been very bad to the point that I throw up and miss school or practice. Is something wrong with me, because...

Today, 05:40 AM By jehand
              • Superfetation

Is it possible to conceive again while already pregnant? Check out superfetation. Wikipedia has information about a 2017 case.

Yesterday, 01:11 AM By jns
              • Introduction

Hello Everyone!
                I am new to this forum.

06-27-2019, 04:40 AM By linakhonde
              • motivation

can't find the "motivation" post of mine so assuming it was started in past year & gone with rest of my last year posts that vanished mysteriously...

07-13-2019, 11:32 AM By amy40
              • Author To Check Out

Serena Valentino. She has written for Autumn Publishing:

Fairest Of All
                Mistress Of All Evil
                Poor Unfortunate Soul
                The...

07-18-2019, 08:56 AM By Popcorn&Candy
              Working...
              X