Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Celiac Disease? Gluten? What?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• Celiac Disease? Gluten? What?

Honey, it's okay. We will help you.

Celiac Disease
    n.
    A chronic nutritional disturbance, usually of young children, caused by the inability to metabolize gluten, which results in malnutrition, a distended abdomen, muscle wasting, and the passage of stools having a high fat content. The disorder can be controlled by a special diet that emphasizes the elimination of all foods containing gluten. (The free dictionary).

gluten is found in wheat barley and rye.
    :cool: bye.

• poor diet and living conditions affecting in the cure of my chronic disease? WHAT TO DO?

Comment

• Not quite sure of the question here put just wanna give you guys out there some input.

I have been tested for coeliac disease and i dont have it but i do however have a gluten intolerance. I really have no idea what the differences are but the bottom line if that when i eat gluten it doesnt kill the villi in my intestines but it really doesnt agree with me. If i do eat gluten I break out in a itchy rash all over my lower stomach and back and upper arms, i get really painful stomach cramps and bowel symptoms also and apparently gluten intolerance unlike coeliac disease can affect mood and temperament and also sometimes sleep patterns - all of which I have had problems with

Comment

• I'm not sure what the question is here either, but I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease 4 years ago. The Dr's figure it onset a few years prior. I was plagues with bouts of diarrhea and constipation. Occasionally, I would get so sick that I would vomit. Because the villi in my intestine were damages from the gluten, I couldn't absorb any nutrients. That also caused bouts of dehydration. It also compromised my immune system and left me vulnerable for many viruses and bacteria. The Dr's told me anything can trigger the onset. I was 26 when I was actually finally diagnosed. There are SEVERAL symptoms that range from person to person. I tend to get mouth cankers sores, diarrhea, and sever stomach pains when I eat it now. Some people get skin irritations. However, I have a friend that was just diagnosed because the Dr. couldn't determine why she was iron deficient. She has never had any physical symptoms to her knowledge. It is also hereditary and her two children have it as well. They too have no symptoms that they are aware of. It's getting easier to eat Gluten Free and has made a huge difference in my life.

Comment

• I'm just curious... those of you that have been tested for celiac disease.... what did the testing consist of? The reason that I ask is because I provide daycare to a 18 month old little girl and her Mom believes that she may be lactose intolerant. After doing a little bit of research I discovered it could be either that or celiac disease. The Mom has taken her daughter to the doctor and mentioned it everytime but the doctor just kinda blows her off and says "all babies spit up" but it goes much deeper than that. She has diarehha just about daily, she spits up still at a year and a half, sometimes when she poops it's so acidic that it burns her skin and causes an instant rash/redness. She isn't sitting in a dirty diaper at all, after she poops you can tell it hurts her and she gets changed immediately. She is constantly thirsty (which I attribute to being dehydrated from the diarehha) and when she wakes up in the morning and after nap her diaper is completely filled with urine that it leaks. I am also wondering if she may be diabetic??? I am just curious as to the proceedure for testing for these things because she is so young, if anyone knows please give me info. Thanks.

Comment

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

• Reply to What Is Your Favourite Perfume?

I like a light scent, nothing over powering and usually a natural smell, like a floral. I do have a bottle of a Calvin Klein fragrance, I think it is....

Today, 06:36 PM By atskitty2
          • Reply to Eyebrows!

I groom my brows. I pluck to maintain a nice, clean shape, then fill in some thinning areas with a powder or pencil. That's about it. Color matching is...

Today, 06:33 PM By atskitty2
          • Reply to Birth Control / Migraines, etc.

Who is to say that your mother/sisters/grandmother and whoever else suffers from migraines don't ALSO have food allergies or food intolerances? Those...

Today, 09:56 AM By Ashlee T.
          • Reply to Birth Control / Migraines, etc.

Thanks Ashlee! It's funny you mention that because I actually have SIBO and have been trying to address food issues to see what might be the culprit....

Today, 08:22 AM By lp84
          • Reply to Any remedy to kill cramps during periods?

Hi jehand. I have removed the link in your post. Outbound linking is not permitted here.

Have you been checked for uterine fibroids? My...

Today, 08:00 AM By Ashlee T.

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

• What Is Your Favourite Perfume?

Mine is Clinique Happy.

Over to you!

Today, 05:50 AM By Popcorn&Candy
          • Eyebrows!

What's YOUR style? Bold and full? Thin and groomed? I keep mine the latter. Still, full brows look fabulous on many women and I love the eyebrow makeup/grooming...

Today, 05:47 AM By Popcorn&Candy
          • Birth Control / Migraines, etc.

Hi Guys!

Wondering if I can get some advice here. I was on Yasmin for years and about a year ago switched to Lo Loestrin because my...

Yesterday, 09:59 AM By lp84
          • Any remedy to kill cramps during periods?

I’m 22 years old, and my cramps have always been very bad to the point that I throw up and miss school or practice. Is something wrong with me, because...

Yesterday, 05:40 AM By jehand
          • Do You Love Ireland?

I fell in love with Ireland years and years ago. It is a magical place and I have such nostalgia when I think of my times there.

If you ever...

Today, 05:32 AM By Popcorn&Candy
          Working...
          X