Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Swollen After Bee Sting

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• Swollen After Bee Sting

How long does a personal normally stay swollen after being stung by a bee? I was stung between the pinky and ring finger on my right hand on Saturday, it is now Monday and it is still very swollen and its itchy and painful. How long does this normally last?

• Can be a couple of days. Depends on how your immune system decides to react. Some are stung, get the welt swelling and pain, then it subsides within an hour or two. Some are more sensitive to the actual poison in the bee sting and they will be affected for longer. At times a person can have a mild allergic reaction and the symptoms last longer because the body is having a more difficult time dealing with it. It is not really a concern unless it persists for much longer. Keep icing it to reduce the swelling and take some Ibuprofen.
    There are those who believe that dictionaries should not merely reflect the times but also protect English from the mindless assaults of the trendy.

Comment

• Originally posted by lizzardb63 View Post
      How long does a personal normally stay swollen after being stung by a bee? I was stung between the pinky and ring finger on my right hand on Saturday, it is now Monday and it is still very swollen and its itchy and painful. How long does this normally last?
      I am highly allergic to specifically yellow jackets. Two stings to my leg in high school caused my whole leg to swell, fever and become hard. I missed the first week of my Senior year and the school inquired as to if I had dropped out. Three or four stings may have killed me.

Swelling, itchiness and pain can be a symptom to an allergic reaction (especially the itchiness). Go to a doctor if the swelling is extreme as it could cut off circulation. Otherwise, icing by ice water, wrapped ice, or a wrapped cold pack could help reduce swelling and the pain killer could help with the pain.
      I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.
      Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

From a speech by Patrick Henry on March 23, 1775 at St. John's Church, Richmond, Virginia

Comment

• Okay, thanks! It is still really itchy and swollen, but not AS swollen as yesterday. I actually found that putting toothpaste on it makes the itching stop. The coolness and tingling helps. Since the swelling has gone down a little I am hoping it is just slowly going away. I have been stung by wasps before, and never had this bad of a reaction, but this was a bee. So maybe I am just more "allergic" to their poison than wasps.

Comment

• how soon after this got better? My husband got stung yesterday in between his fingers too and today his hand began to swell.

Comment

• Originally posted by lizzardb63 View Post
            Okay, thanks! It is still really itchy and swollen, but not AS swollen as yesterday. I actually found that putting toothpaste on it makes the itching stop. The coolness and tingling helps. Since the swelling has gone down a little I am hoping it is just slowly going away. I have been stung by wasps before, and never had this bad of a reaction, but this was a bee. So maybe I am just more "allergic" to their poison than wasps.
            OTC Benadryl should help with the itching and swelling. Also, elevating the arm will help with the swelling.
            [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
            Not thinking about anything is Zen. Once you know this, walking, sitting, or lying down, everything you do is Zen.
            ― Bodhidharma

Comment

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

• Have You Ever Done Any Online Dating? - Let's Discuss!

If you've ever done any online dating, you know there are many things that can go wrong. But for some, online dating leads to finding a soulmate. ...

09-17-2019, 11:04 AM By Chrissy M.
            • Do You Volunteer?

I have done so for many years.

I work at a charity and have been there for over 10 years. I must admit, I love the work. Admittedly, I don't...

09-17-2019, 03:15 AM By Popcorn&Candy
            • Do You Pluck Your Eyebrows?

I certainly do.

I like the thinner brow look. I have beautiful eyes and feel my brows frame my face. I love having groomed, neat eyebrows....

09-17-2019, 03:08 AM By Popcorn&Candy
            • Fabulous New Boots!

I very recently bought myself a gorgeous pair of black leather boots. I spent a good 20 minutes making the decision and don't regret it!

09-17-2019, 03:02 AM By Popcorn&Candy
            • Soon To Have Therapy

I've been in a really mixed-up place lately. So I have spoken to my doctor and she is referring me for counselling. I shall also be seeing a psychologist....

09-17-2019, 02:59 AM By Popcorn&Candy
            Working...
            X