Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Itchy Throat, Gagging Feeling, Choking Cough

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• Itchy Throat, Gagging Feeling, Choking Cough

I'm from Illinois and in March I moved to Virginia. After about three weeks of being here I would wake up in the middle of the night feeling like I was choking and the very back of my throat would be scratchy and breathing was extremely difficult. It was like as much as I would try to get air in, I couldn't. This shocked me because I have never had this happen before. It gradually got worse over time and it wouldn't happen only when I was sleeping, but it would happen still only at night. After some more time it started happening during the day and would occur 5-6 times within a 24hour period. I've tried looking online and there seems to be too many guesses from the flu, bronchitis, allergies, sleep apnea and get a humidifier. I would go to the bathroom during these fits and would spit out some white phlegm and blow my nose just to try to drain everything.

The tricky thing is, when I had finally gotten a temp job doing 10hour days, the whole thing stopped by my second day. Since then I was doing temp job after temp job but now the work has ceased and it's starting up again. I've been out of work for two weeks so far. It's happened twice so far today; only at night. I don't get why this is happening, I have never had allergies before. But my mother and sister do and take over the counter medication for theirs; they have a pollen thing and spring time hits them hard. I don't know if it is sudden allergies since this only happens at the apartment. The place is clean, so it's not just dust. I'm guessing there might be something in the apartment air filters, maybe it is the Virginia air. I just don't know. I'm taking shots in the dark here but I don't want this to continue.

Has anyone ever had this happen, know anyone it's happened to, have any guesses as to of what is going on?

• The fact that it happens more at home and never at work makes it appear to be at home. The nightime incidents points to something in your room, maybe even in your bed. Do you clean and/or replace your pillows regularly? Some nasty allergens can accumulate in them. What about your mattress? I heard a few months ago that after 2-3 years 10% of the weight of our pillows is dead dust mites, living ones, or their waste. A large portion of the population is allergic to them.
    "Those sowing seed with tears
    Will reap with a joyful shout." - Psalm 126

Comment

• I just moved so the bed and pillow are new. It starts off while I'm sleeping, then goes to night time only, then includes day time as well. This is all just the oddest thing to me. I had never even heard of this occurring. Like I had said, I've never had allergies before. So to suddenly hock this up to that after 25 years is odd, but I do know that this does happen, my mother didn't procure allergies until she was in her 30's. I just want an answer so I can get a remedy.

Comment

• Is the building a bit older? Having stuffiness and congestion popping up like that can mean mold in the apartment itself. You would never actually know it is there unless you have seen it yourself or you ask your landlord if the building/room has been tested recently but mold behind the walls can cause sudden onset allergy like symptoms.

It is also entirely possible to develop allergies in adulthood when you have never had them before. There is no remedy if you are allergic to something, it is only possible to minimize symptoms with antihistamines or allergy shots. You can go to the doctor and ask for an allergy test just to see if you are allergic or sensitive to anything.
        There are those who believe that dictionaries should not merely reflect the times but also protect English from the mindless assaults of the trendy.

Comment

• Try taking an allergy test at the doctor's... and ask him/her about it

Comment

• I don't have insurance, so there is no doctor to ask about it. Since I've been working, I've been fine. They also came to change the air filter; it was disgusting. So that alone could had been it. I don't know. When I'm home for a week, then it would start. But since I'm working, we won't know.

Comment

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

• Vagina Itch

Hi, im having a vagina itch without discharge. It started a few days before my period, Im having period now and the itchiness is still on going. Is this...

Today, 12:40 AM By lucy
            • Reply to What Is Your Favourite Perfume?

I like a light scent, nothing over powering and usually a natural smell, like a floral. I do have a bottle of a Calvin Klein fragrance, I think it is....

Yesterday, 06:36 PM By atskitty2
            • Reply to Eyebrows!

I groom my brows. I pluck to maintain a nice, clean shape, then fill in some thinning areas with a powder or pencil. That's about it. Color matching is...

Yesterday, 06:33 PM By atskitty2
            • Reply to Birth Control / Migraines, etc.

Who is to say that your mother/sisters/grandmother and whoever else suffers from migraines don't ALSO have food allergies or food intolerances? Those...

Yesterday, 09:56 AM By Ashlee T.
            • Reply to Birth Control / Migraines, etc.

Thanks Ashlee! It's funny you mention that because I actually have SIBO and have been trying to address food issues to see what might be the culprit....

Yesterday, 08:22 AM By lp84

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

• Vagina Itch

Hi, im having a vagina itch without discharge. It started a few days before my period, Im having period now and the itchiness is still on going. Is this...

Today, 12:40 AM By lucy
            • What Is Your Favourite Perfume?

Mine is Clinique Happy.

Over to you!

Yesterday, 05:50 AM By Popcorn&Candy
            • Eyebrows!

What's YOUR style? Bold and full? Thin and groomed? I keep mine the latter. Still, full brows look fabulous on many women and I love the eyebrow makeup/grooming...

Yesterday, 05:47 AM By Popcorn&Candy
            • Birth Control / Migraines, etc.

Hi Guys!

Wondering if I can get some advice here. I was on Yasmin for years and about a year ago switched to Lo Loestrin because my...

07-22-2019, 09:59 AM By lp84
            • Any remedy to kill cramps during periods?

I’m 22 years old, and my cramps have always been very bad to the point that I throw up and miss school or practice. Is something wrong with me, because...

07-22-2019, 05:40 AM By jehand
            Working...
            X