Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are these signs of allergies?

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• Are these signs of allergies?

Every year around this time I start getting gagging coughs, complete with watery eyes in the process. Are these allergy symptoms, or just a simple cold? I've also been sneezing more than usual this winter than in the past.

• Could be. I have a mild case of allergies that gets triggered from a cold. The cold gets better but the post-nasal drip persists. This lead to coughs. Often I will get sick again. It feels like it is just one long cold, but a cold won't last beyond 10 days. The watery eyes makes it sound like its definitely allergies.
    Freedom is just another word for nothing left to lose - Kris Kristofferson and Fred Foster (sung by Janis Joplin)

Comment

• Could be.

Seasonal allergies can come on at any time without warning though they usually do so in the fall before a 'hard frost' and in the spring when everything 'starts to pop'.

Could also have something to do with the dryer air of winter causing irritation to your respiratory system, especially your nasal passages, sinus cavities and/or lungs. Do you have a humidifier?...A clean dry humidifier would be more accurate... If you do, buy a couple gallons of distilled water and run it in the room of your house where you spend the most time. See if that gives you any relief. Or run in your bedroom at night.

You can also humidify from the inside by increasing your water consumption. Try to sip water all day to keep you hydrated and the areas I mentioned above moist and lubricated. It's better to sip then to gulp or guzzle water in any quantity as the body is only capable of processing sixteen ounces per hour for any benefit.

If it gets really cold...bitter cold where you are or windy, put something over your mouth and nose if you're going to be out in it for very long.

Gagging coughs can cause the body to over compensate for what it's lacking, signaling the body to produce it in large quantities quickly (watery eyes, runny nose, etc.).

It's either allergies or lack of a well hydrated body/respiratory system.

Comment

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

• Vagina Itch

Hi, im having a vagina itch without discharge. It started a few days before my period, Im having period now and the itchiness is still on going. Is this...

Today, 12:40 AM By lucy
      • Reply to What Is Your Favourite Perfume?

I like a light scent, nothing over powering and usually a natural smell, like a floral. I do have a bottle of a Calvin Klein fragrance, I think it is....

Yesterday, 06:36 PM By atskitty2
      • Reply to Eyebrows!

I groom my brows. I pluck to maintain a nice, clean shape, then fill in some thinning areas with a powder or pencil. That's about it. Color matching is...

Yesterday, 06:33 PM By atskitty2
      • Reply to Birth Control / Migraines, etc.

Who is to say that your mother/sisters/grandmother and whoever else suffers from migraines don't ALSO have food allergies or food intolerances? Those...

Yesterday, 09:56 AM By Ashlee T.
      • Reply to Birth Control / Migraines, etc.

Thanks Ashlee! It's funny you mention that because I actually have SIBO and have been trying to address food issues to see what might be the culprit....

Yesterday, 08:22 AM By lp84

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

• Vagina Itch

Hi, im having a vagina itch without discharge. It started a few days before my period, Im having period now and the itchiness is still on going. Is this...

Today, 12:40 AM By lucy
      • What Is Your Favourite Perfume?

Mine is Clinique Happy.

Over to you!

Yesterday, 05:50 AM By Popcorn&Candy
      • Eyebrows!

What's YOUR style? Bold and full? Thin and groomed? I keep mine the latter. Still, full brows look fabulous on many women and I love the eyebrow makeup/grooming...

Yesterday, 05:47 AM By Popcorn&Candy
      • Birth Control / Migraines, etc.

Hi Guys!

Wondering if I can get some advice here. I was on Yasmin for years and about a year ago switched to Lo Loestrin because my...

07-22-2019, 09:59 AM By lp84
      • Any remedy to kill cramps during periods?

I’m 22 years old, and my cramps have always been very bad to the point that I throw up and miss school or practice. Is something wrong with me, because...

07-22-2019, 05:40 AM By jehand
      Working...
      X