Help to quit smoking?

Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help to quit smoking?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• Help to quit smoking?

How do you encourage a person to quit smoking that has been smoking since the age of 16?

• What age is the person now?

Not that that really matters - how does one encourage anyone else to give up smoking? The problem is that person has to want to stop. These days you'd have to be living in a cave in the middle of nowhere not to be aware that smoking is harmful - if a person refuses to apply that knowledge to his/her own situation then reminding him/her is not going to be any more effective than those government warnings on the packet.

Offering a financial incentive might help - something like 'for every pack of cigarettes you would have bought but don't I'll put the cash value in a piggy bank for you and after 3 months you get to spend it'. Of course that isn't necessarily going to work on someone with financial independence.

The first time I gave up (I slipped after 14months) somebody told me they didn't think I could do it. that challenge gave me an incentive. The second time I thought I might be pregnant and stopped until I found out I wasn't - having done 2 weeks I thought I might as well stick with. I'm still sticking with it (seven and a half years and counting now) - the difference was I really wanted not to smoke by then.

Note: I started when I was 15, first 14 months off when I was 20, last cigarette smoked when I was 28.
    Now let us sport us while we may; / And now, like am'rous birds of prey,
    Rather at once our time devour, / Than languish in his slow-chapp'd power.
    Let us roll all our strength, and all / Our sweetness, up into one ball;
    And tear our pleasures with rough strife / Thorough the iron gates of life.
    Thus, though we cannot make our sun / Stand still, yet we will make him run.

Comment

• benefits of quitting smoking

By showing benefits of quitting smoking may be we can do it.Generally what are the benefits of quitting smoking.We need to know them clearly.
      Within the first 20 minutes itself, your blood pressure decreases, pulse rate drops, and the body temperature becomes normal.
      Within 7 hours, the carbon monoxide levels become very low, oxygen levels are restored to normal levels and this helps in better blood circulation, improved body functions and other related benefits. The nicotine levels also start lowering.
      Like this you can have more benefits while time is going.
      Last edited by CHANDLERS WISH; 08-21-2009, 02:55 AM. Reason: removal of outbound link

Comment

• How to quit smoking? easy dont buy anymore!

Smoking is a dirty habit and you will feel and smell so much better once you stop smoking and think of the money you will save a friend of mine gave up smoking 6 months later her and her DH went on their first holiday in 30 yrs all because she gave up smoking worth thinking about

Comment

• Hi watsonn...
          Giving up smoking, being addicted to it since 16 long years is really a matter of firm determination. Hats off to you for deciding this. But the fact is nobody or nothing can help you out of it except yourself and your determination and control. All the best!
          Always Be Happy...

Comment

• Coaxed them into getting addicted to something healthy.

Comment

• Re: Help to quit smoking? Reply to Thread

Originally posted by watsonn View Post
              How do you encourage a person to quit smoking that has been smoking since the age of 16?
              Making someone quit smoking is a very difficult thing. It is completely up to the person to quit the habit. One requires a strong will and desire to quit. These are not the only factors. You may find very interesting tips to quit smoking, do follow the link **Removed outbound link**. This site is completely dedicated to stop smoking and I personally think it will certainly help.
              Last edited by LanaBear; 12-28-2009, 11:57 AM.

Comment

• In the UK you can get prescription on the National Health Service (UK Free Health the US should get) for "Champix" It blocks the Nicotine reseptors in the brain. Eventually you give up 'cos smoking just becomes horrid

Or Try a Book Alan Carrs easy to give up smoking

Comment

• Originally posted by Futureboy View Post
                  In the UK you can get prescription on the National Health Service (UK Free Health the US should get) for "Champix" It blocks the Nicotine reseptors in the brain. Eventually you give up 'cos smoking just becomes horrid

Or Try a Book Alan Carrs easy to give up smoking
                  I just got that book for my boyfriend this last week. I'll keep ya updated on if it works or not.

Comment

• Do let me know how it goes guys, hoping to get my boyfriend to stop.

The thing with him though is... his body seems very healthy, FOR NOW, so I don't know if I could convince him that he could feel even better if he stopped. He's very active, mountain climbs, takes the stairs every time... He's also one of those people who can just go a whole day without food and still feel normal, whereas I start puking bile by lunch time if I don't have breakfast...

Comment

• Originally posted by Mes_T View Post
                      Do let me know how it goes guys, hoping to get my boyfriend to stop.

The thing with him though is... his body seems very healthy, FOR NOW, so I don't know if I could convince him that he could feel even better if he stopped. He's very active, mountain climbs, takes the stairs every time... He's also one of those people who can just go a whole day without food and still feel normal, whereas I start puking bile by lunch time if I don't have breakfast...
                      My boyfriend finished the Kona triathlon (which very few even finish) and placed well. He's incredibly athletic. The news was there and insisted on interviewing him because they had never seen someone finish and immediately light up a smoke. I have another friend who won a 10K and went up to collect his medal while smoking.
                      You can be athletic and smoke. But the long-term effects is where the problem lies.

Comment

• You have to want to quit in every way. You have to want to replace the habitual smoking moments with something else and try nicotine gums/other methods when you feel you need to smoke. Walk more, take up a sport and visit a doctor. Doctors are very good when it comes to scaring you enough to quit smoking.

Comment

• Originally posted by watsonn View Post
                          you can encourage him or her of what are the effect of smoking,it causes lung cancer if you continue to smoke and it also develop asthma,and it'll lessen your life span,im a smoker when i was 14 i quit when i try to use e-cig and it actually works for me.try to recommend e-cig to that girl or boy.
                          Last edited by caterpillar79; 03-29-2010, 12:41 AM. Reason: edited hyperlink

Comment

• I tried every program available, but nothing worked. I then went to a hypnotist and it worked the first time. I had been a 2-pack a day smoker for 20 years and was totally addicted. I haven't had a cigarette, or any desire to have one, since.

Comment

• It's all about discipline my friend. There is no other person to help you than yourself. It's you who will start and it should be you who will end.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

Working...
                              X