• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stage 0 breast cancer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stage 0 breast cancer

have always wondered if this is considered precancer or cancer?

a person I know had stage 0 and the Dr was going to just watch it
    but then they got a second opinion and that Dr said that stage 0 was cancer, think it was lobular

anyway, they believed second Dr over first and did a mastectomy on the one side no radiation or anything
    but I often wonder if the mastectomy was really needed

what I've read seems conflicting

A mastectomy removes the cancerous growth. Radiation is for pain control in many cases.
    I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.
    Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

From a speech by Patrick Henry on March 23, 1775 at St. John's Church, Richmond, Virginia

Comment

you can have a mastectomy as prevention, too
      I am wondering if one was really needed with a Stage 0
      especially since the first Dr was going to watch and wait

Comment

Some doctors are more aggressive than others. She was the only one who truly had a dog in the fight.
        I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.
        Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

From a speech by Patrick Henry on March 23, 1775 at St. John's Church, Richmond, Virginia

Comment

My cousin had this in one breast and had both removed. She's an obgyn, so fairly informed. I don't know the answer to your question, but I gather from her that it can be a pretty big deal, even though it may not sound like it.
          "Those sowing seed with tears
          Will reap with a joyful shout." - Psalm 126

Comment

You're wondering if it was needed? "Need" is rather subjective in many cases, and what was best for her was decided based on the patient/doctor discussion. Prophylactic mastectomy, phophylactic dental cleanings...preventive care. needed? sometimes, sometimes not.

Comment

I finally found a site that gave me that answer I was looking for
              that stage 0 is not considered cancer but can put one at risk for developing cancer

Comment

Stage 0 simply means that there are cancerous cells in situ. Meaning they are contained in a milk duct perhaps but haven't spread to other breast tissue. Sometimes these will never grow into full-blown cancer. We all have these random cells circulating in our bodies at times and they don't always grow into full blown cancer. Keeping watch on them will let the doctor know what the situation is and how to address it. If there has been a history of cancer in the family, the doctor will probably be more proactive and treat more aggressively even to the point of a full or partial mastectomy Is it cancer? Absolutely.

Comment

There is no evidence of cancer cells breaking out of the part of the breast in which they started or of getting through to or invading neighboring normal tissue.

Comment

The first sign of breast cancer often is a breast lump or an abnormal mammogram. Breast cancer stages range from early, curable breast cancer to metastatic breast cancer, with a variety of breast cancer treatments. Male breast cancer is not uncommon and must be taken seriously.Breast pain is any discomfort, tenderness, or pain in the breast or underarm region, and it may occur for a number of reasons. Generally, breast pain is not a sign of breast cancer.

Breast cancer most often begins with cells in the milk-producing ducts (invasive ductal carcinoma). Breast cancer may also begin in the glandular tissue called lobules (invasive lobular carcinoma) or in other cells or tissue within the breast.

Symptoms of breast cancer vary from person to person. Some common breast cancer signs and symptoms include:

Skin changes, such as swelling, redness, or other visible differences in one or both breasts
                    An increase in size or change in shape of the breast(s)
                    Changes in the appearance of one or both nipples
                    Nipple discharge other than breast milk
                    General pain in/on any part of the breast
                    Lumps or nodes felt on or inside of the breast

interventional radiology techniques are quickly becoming standard therapies for cancer treatment. Interventional oncology is the name for this new, high tech and evolving field of non-sugical cancer therapy. An arsenal of tools has become integral to tumor diagnosis, treatment, pain control and palliation for our interventional oncology team in Illinois.

Comment

Working...
                    X