Severe back pain relief

Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Severe back pain relief

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• Severe back pain relief

So yesterday I took a nap on the sofa. When I woke up, I felt fine. Got up with no issue. Wasn't stiff in the least. Watched a movie with the Hubby and then decided to cut his hair. While I was cutting his hair I got blindsided with this intense lower back pain when i leaned down to trim around his neck. Pain was so intense it took everything I had to hold myself up with the help of the fridge. It subsided, then when I leaned down a little again, it hit me again. By the time I was finished (about 10 mins) I could barely walk. Every step felt like it pulled my lower back. Did a hot bath, heating pad, all of which have not touched it. Went to bed praying it would get better and its only gotten worse. Had to crawl on the floor to get to the bathroom this morning. I usually have lower back pain in the AM anyways so I'm sure it was doubled due to both being combined. Anyone have any ideas on what this could be or how to relieve it. The hubby swears I just slept wrong on the sofa and irritated it when I was cutting his hair but that just seems like a stretch to me. Lower back pain is common for me when I sleep and this is like nothing I've ever felt in my life. Almost like I pulled my back out but I've done no heavy lifting or twisting of any sort. Any help would be great Thanks so much
    Krystal

• Your husband is probably right, it was probably due to you sleeping wrong on the sofa or while cutting his hair. It sounds like you may have skeletal problems in general. Maybe some sessions with a physical therapist would help, with specific exercises to strengthen specific muscles. Also, I believe that hormonal changes in a woman's cycle can make things worse at certain times of the month.
    I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.
    Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

From a speech by Patrick Henry on March 23, 1775 at St. John's Church, Richmond, Virginia

Comment

• My oldest daughter, now 31, when she was about 27, started having back pain, especially in the mornings. She would get up, rush to work, work carrying Totes, stocking shelves, changing shelves, climbing ladders to get overstock down. She's a manager of a Large Drug Store Company,she had to done these things as part of her job for 10 years.

Her pain gradually got worse and worse, even when she delegated the heavier items and ladder climbing to her Employees, it finally got so bad she ended up in ER.

X rays showed a bit of lower spine out of proper place, Physical Therapy, Chiropractic helped a bit, until she felt better and stopped going to them. within a few days after stopping, back came the pains. 2 years into this, in protecting the pain, by leaning and favoring one side, she twisted a muscle and had Sciatic nerve pressure.
      Back to Therapy and with treatment and Muscle relaxers added. Mostly better again, Until she stopped the Therapy and Meds.

ER a 2nd time, same diagnosis, with not a real Diagnosis. She finally went to My Dr, who is an Orthopedic Surgeon as a Specialty and GP for long time Patients, she used to be his patient when she was in her teens.

One Visit with him solved most of her problem and he Didn't put a hand on her.

Just asked her some questions. Basic health since he'd last seen her, what does she do, when is the pain the worst, when she's on vacation is the pain the same intensity , when was the last time she woke up without back pain ?

Here she was thinking he's a Quack, LOL, As she had already been to her Dr, A Chiropractor, ER Twice, and Physical Therapy in 2 1/2 years.
      It must have shown on her face that she thought he was Whacko..

He then asked her again and went over what she had told him to his Questions. He verified the last time she actually woke up was when she was on vacation a few months before. Verified she had actually had 5 days of No morning Pain. Daily pain was also minimal. until she went back home and back to work.

Then told her he would write her a Prescription..
      She is thinking Pain Meds or muscle relaxers again .

Nope, on the Prescription , simply said " RX Get a New Mattress .."

She bucked up for about a Month, still in pain thinking he's a Nutcase Dr and finally bought a new mattress, she is 31 now and has had over a year and a half of almost Pain free mornings and days. Though she still will get some Sciatica if she's over doing it on lifting 70 lbs when she only weighs 135 herself .

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

Working...
      X