Do I have some sort of epilepsy?

Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• Do I have some sort of epilepsy?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi,
    I am 25 years old and am worried about some symptoms I have. When I was 15, I had surgery for an ovarian cyst. After the surgery, in recovery, I had a full on seizure. The doctors said it was a reaction to the Demorall and said I was allergic to most narcotic medicines.
    I can't remember if I had these symptoms before the surgery, but am thinking I didn't because they are very noticable and nerve wrecking. I never asked a doctor about these symptoms because I felt stupid. I've tried to explain these things to my friends, and they just laughed and thought I was weird.
    The first alarming symptom I have, is I feel a sensation in my brain (usually the back of my head, but sometime goes to the side as well). It is really hard to explain, but I usually say it's like my brain is moving against my skull. It only lasts for a minute and sometimes happens a few times a day, and sometimes it doesn't happen for months. I haven't noticed any pattern to this symptom.
    The other symptom(s), are lights. Another thing my friends would make fun of me for. If I were to go to a haunted house or anything with strobe lights, I would get dizzy, lightheaded, and nausea. The worst thing about it is I am usually affected for a few days afterwards. After the inital lighting, the symptoms are much more dull. I just kinda feel 'out of it' for a few days. This same symptom presents it's self in the car (most times). The sun between the trees almost make me feel 'jumpy', and I immediaetly have to advert my eyes, or I feel like something bad is going to happen...not too sure what though.
    These symptoms remind me of what I felt like before I had my original seizure. The only difference is my first seizure I all of the sudden felt like I was falling. You know when you fall asleep, and almost feel like your falling and then wake up suddenly? That was the last thing I felt until I woke up. I couldn't see anything, but I could hear. I remember hearing the nurse say, "it's ok hunny, you just had a seizure". And then, after hearing her say that, the lights went out again, so to speak. My mom was sitting next to my bed when all of this happened. She said it was a full on seizure - body thrashing, totally unconcious, and lasted a few minutes until I was able to respond again.
    I am hoping that someone out there can provide some answers for me. I am tired of feeling like there is something behind these symptoms, and i'm not just 'weird'.

Thank you!

• You are not weird. First and foremost, NEVER let any one, whether a doctor, a loved one, a friend or a stranger minimize something about your health that is really troubling you. You are not weird, you are a normal human being that has gone through some traumatic health experiences and you have a right to be concerned. Our bodies TELL us when something isn't right...you are a smart one for listening to what your body is telling you.

Have you had an MRI done of your brain and an EEG?
    "Be what you're looking for."

Comment

• The only thing that could possibly diagnose you is a doctor. The second seizures come into play, which is the case here, you must see a doctor and be treated by a doctor. Very very few people can correctly diagnose themselves (not saying that is what you are doing) because they have no idea what they are reading, not their fault as not everyone has a medical or related degree to back up what they are reading. Seeing the word headache or dizzy on a webpage does not automatically mean you have epilepsy but some people think that is the case, when in reality only a doctor can truly diagnose a condition like epilepsy. Seizures themselves are not something you just say "oh jeez I feel funny" to, you need a doctor not a friend not a coworker not a blog writer to say everything is fine. You need a medical doctor. They can give you prescription medication that will help with the frequency of seizures, this will not just go away by asking it to.
      There are those who believe that dictionaries should not merely reflect the times but also protect English from the mindless assaults of the trendy.

Comment

• Thank you for your advice. I am not diagnosing myself, I guess I was looking for reassurance that I have a legitmate reason to talk to a doctor about this. I have had many, many medical issues so far in life, some life threatning. I guess you could say I have almost a fear to go see a doctor. Sounds stupid, I know. Thanks again!

Comment

• Thank you for your advice. I am not diagnosing myself, I guess I was looking for reassurance that I have a legitmate reason to talk to a doctor about this. I have had many, many medical issues so far in life, some life threatning. I guess you could say I have almost a fear to go see a doctor. Sounds stupid, I know. Thanks again!
          I personally don't think that you are trying to diagnose yourself. I too have gotten on here before and posted questions that only a doctor could truly answer, but I just wanted some opinions, reassurance, etc. There's something about sitting around and worrying that can drive you crazy, and sometimes it takes weeks to get into a doctor so it's nice to have people to talk to about it.

You definitely have a legitimate reason to talk to a doctor. And you should. Demand that he/she take you seriously, or move on to the next MD.
          "Be what you're looking for."

Comment

• Jwest, things that scare you will off course result in not wanting to know more

Haunted houses scare alot of people, let alone having already had a seizure...

ItsASecret was talking "basic" not directly to you, stressing the importance to see a Doctor based on the fact that you have had a seizure and not to try to work out if it is one via the internet that's all.. She is concerned

Have you spoken to your Mother about this, given she was there for you last time?

I think you do need to go and see someone so they can do some tests and keep it under control so you don't go through this fear and so you are safe, yes, it's concern enough to see a Doctor.
            PUT A LITTLE 'LIKE' IN MY SOUL!

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

Working...
            X