Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Torn between exercise and computer games

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• Torn between exercise and computer games

My grandfather had a stroke a few months, and since then we were already conscious of what we eat and exercise. They told us it runs in the blood or sort of it has something to do with the genes. I am the type who is very lazy and I am the only robust looking gal in our family, due to unburned fats. You see I am lazy and I am always at the computer playing computer games. Until my mom threaten to cut off the internet connection until I will be serious with exercise. Nothing to do and nothing to lose if I obey. Now I exercise before I can open my games. That is what it goes in this family. Blackmailing and threatening. Well its kinda funny and weird but I'd rather obey than lose my angry bird game.

• I think you've gotten yourself in the mindset that it's one or the other. You do not have to give up your games in order to get sufficient exercise. You just have to prioritize. However, if you go into it with the attitude "I'm lazy and I don't want to do anything", then quite simply, you won't succeed.

So here is the important thing:

Do you feel healthy?
    Do you like your current weight?
    Do you like the way you look and feel in your clothes?
    Do you avoid doing certain activities because you are afraid you don't have the endurance?

Your mom wanting you to lose weight won't change anything. You have to WANT it. You could set up goals for yourself, then reward yourself with game time as you achieve the goals. If you do not achieve your goals, then no game time. LoseIt (you can google it) is a great website for setting goals, logging your food and exercise and tracking your results.

When you are overweight, your health is at risk regardless of your family history. BUT when you have a family history of problems like high blood pressure, diabetes, cardiovascular disease, strokes, it's even MORE important to take care of your body and allow it to be the best it can be.
    "Be what you're looking for."

Comment

• Originally posted by torini View Post
      Until my mom threaten to cut off the internet connection until I will be serious with exercise. Nothing to do and nothing to lose if I obey. Now I exercise before I can open my games. That is what it goes in this family. Blackmailing and threatening.
      She's not doing it to be malicious, she's doing it because she is concerned for your health, and since you don't have the motivation yourself to go and exercise, she's hoping that granting you access to your games will work as an incentive.

However, like BD said, you have to want to exercise, for the sake of being fit and healthy, so like BD said, it'd be much better if you set your own goals and then rewarded yourself with game time.

Comment

• I don't see it as blackmailing it's concern for your health, given it runs in the family and realisation maybe that there is more to life than a computer and they are guiding you to get out there and live.
        PUT A LITTLE 'LIKE' IN MY SOUL!

Comment

• Torini, as a fellow gamer I suffer from the same affliction. On my days off I would like to do nothing more than sit on my computer and play all day. However, I also have the dilema of needing to exercise. When you're addicted (like I am) to the computer and games it's very hard to make the right decision and get up to go outside.

It's taken me awhile to get to this point, but now every night when I'm done on the computer I turn it off. That way, in the mornings I know I have to turn my computer on and wait for it to fully load and it's not instant wake up and sit down. I've used this to my advantage. Instead of going to it, I will make my decision as to what I'm going to do that day exercise wise (yard work, walk, run, gym) and just before I go out I turn it on. That way, when I get home from whatever exercise I've done that day I am instantly rewarded for making the right decision.

To most it doesn't sound like something that's very hard... but for we addicted peeps it's hard to make the right decision. Sitting at work away from my games I'm all "Oh yeah, I'm gonna do this this and this", but then when face to face with the games, it's very hard to stick to my game plan. Hence why I have to force myself to do the right thing. lol

I hope you find something that works for you to help you walk that fine line.
          Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important. ~Ambrose Redmoon

Comment

• Try to spend 15 minutes to half an hour every day for exercise. Youtube has several simple videos that can help you exercise at home, you don't have to go to a gym or buy expensive training equipment. You'll feel much better afterwards and might even want to extend the time you exercise up to an hour each day. Also, you can do small and simple stretching exercises while at the computer. Just try to make it a habit

Comment

• its very hard to get motivated to do exercises when you dont have anyone to do them with, i myself went thru this hubby said he would walk with me every night after dinner (that lasted one night) so i continued on for that whole week and it got boring to me as i had no one to talk to in order for me to be motivated i need someone with me to talk to me to keep my mind off things and just focus on why im exercising, i exercise all the time at work cuz i have to stay busy but when im home i retreat to my computer as its the only thing that comforts me, and your moms only doing this to help you....is she willing to exercise with you too?
              Always Love Life Always Stay Positive Live For Today
              Because Tomorrow Will Take Care Of It's Self

sigpic

Comment

• One thing I learned is that you cannot allow yourself to depend on someone else to exercise. If you do, you'll rarely exercise. You have to focus on yourself and ways to keep yourself involved and interested. That's why you see so many people listening to music while exercising.
                "Be what you're looking for."

Comment

• If you do workout/exercise, where do you go? Do you do it at home - or have you ever tried at least to do some jogging or anything to the effect to moving around more? I found out that working out at home is more of a challenge as you are more prone to put it off. If you go and workout in the gym, you can focus more ON it. Problem is, if you can get yourself out once you've started playing your game.

I think it all boils down to your motivation to do it. It comes from within. There is only so much your mother can do and whether her intention is good-natured. In my long years or teaching students with behavior issues, telling them what to do, giving them ultimatums and even rewards/punishments do not work in most cases. It's all a matter of arriving at the child's motivation - what he/she gets from doing it, intrinsically. I've learned how to do it in a subtle way (call me evil and manipulative, but it works - I hope I can talk to your mom. LOL.)

Bottomline is, nobody can make you do what you do not want to do. You must want to do it. Sometimes though, wanting to do something comes from practice. Try doing/obeying at first without complaint. Do it for a week and see how you feel. Then later decide whether you like to exercise or not. You can make a deal with your mom, talk about this. Set a goal together, such that you can achieve it. Make it 3 days if you cannot commit to a week, or 2 days of exercise/week, whatever works for you. If you like to do some cycling, try that. If you love to do some combat sports, tryt that as well (i.e. Tae Kwando, Aikido, mixed martial arts, etc.).

Comment

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

Working...
                  X