Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Short-term prednisone use

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• Short-term prednisone use

I was prescribed predisone for 5 days (20 mg) for my swollen lymph nodes when I had strep recently. I noticed an increase in appetite, but now I've been off it for 3 days and still have the same increased hunger. I didn't really increase my food intake while I was on it, so I don't think I got used to eating more or anything. Also, the day after I finished, I broke out really bad on my face. I read that acne can be a side effect of prednisone, but does it happen after? Anyway, I guess my main question is: How long do the side effects of it last after you take it?

• I've never really had any major effects from it. I'm actually on a 5 day regimen right now myself for a back injury. I find that I'm a bit hyper and I do believe my bp is up a bit. Otherwise, I actually think it supresses my appetite. Alot of people get super hungry on it though. Give it a few more days to get out of your system and it'll pass.
    "Be what you're looking for."

Comment

• I get prednisone for bad poison ivy break-outs. It makes me hungry and moody. Sometimes a couple days afterwards too. It goes away though, I wouldn't worry too much.
      "If you are resolutely determined to make a lawyer of yourself, the thing is more than half done already." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• I was prescribed 1000mg of Prednisone per day for 3 days. Because of the extreme high dose (10 x 50mg pills twice a day), maybe the side effects would last longer for me. I am not sure. But I want to post my side effects timeline here, just in case anyone else in a similar situation is looking for answers.

My Prednisone side effects during the 3 day course consisted of: severe stomach upset, severe insomnia, occasional head ache, bowel issues, mild feminine issues, and random spots of stinging on skin (ankles, knees, arms).

My Prednisone side effects after completion of the medication: random hives (large hot and red itchy patches), distraction, mild back pain/stiffness, jittery/shaky, high energy, anxiety, strange acne, floating sensation, slight bleeding of the gums, hunger and sugar cravings, occasional swelling of feet, legs or ankles, forgetfulness and mild confusion.

Here's the timeline of how the side effects left:
        Day 1 - (first day of no new Prednisone) MS symptoms decrease so much that I felt I could return to work. Stomach mildly upset in the morning but felt fine by evening with no recurrence later. Feminine and bowel issues end by evening. Joints mildly sore, took Glucosamine.
        Day 2 - slept through the night between Day 1 and 2, but insomnia returned next night. Jitteriness, anxiety, and hives began on Day 2.
        Day 3 - Sleep back to normal.
        Day 6 - No longer feeling jittery. Hives and swelling still occurring. Occasional migraine. MS symptoms still fading. Joints and back no longer sore, except right knee (MS related not Prednisone).
        Day 18 - Still getting weird acne, hives, cravings for candy. Relapse symptoms gone, except for lingering right knee stiffness which is much milder than before, but never fully resolves.
        Day 20 - Back to normal. Side effects gone, MS relapse gone (excluding right knee)
        1 Month - shovelling snow, driving, socializing, life is good

Comment

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

• Have You Ever Done Any Online Dating? - Let's Discuss!

If you've ever done any online dating, you know there are many things that can go wrong. But for some, online dating leads to finding a soulmate. ...

09-17-2019, 11:04 AM By Chrissy M.
        • Do You Volunteer?

I have done so for many years.

I work at a charity and have been there for over 10 years. I must admit, I love the work. Admittedly, I don't...

09-17-2019, 03:15 AM By Popcorn&Candy
        • Do You Pluck Your Eyebrows?

I certainly do.

I like the thinner brow look. I have beautiful eyes and feel my brows frame my face. I love having groomed, neat eyebrows....

09-17-2019, 03:08 AM By Popcorn&Candy
        • Fabulous New Boots!

I very recently bought myself a gorgeous pair of black leather boots. I spent a good 20 minutes making the decision and don't regret it!

09-17-2019, 03:02 AM By Popcorn&Candy
        • Soon To Have Therapy

I've been in a really mixed-up place lately. So I have spoken to my doctor and she is referring me for counselling. I shall also be seeing a psychologist....

09-17-2019, 02:59 AM By Popcorn&Candy
        Working...
        X