Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could this be the norovirus?

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• Could this be the norovirus?

I woke up at 5 this morning with severe stomach cramps. At first I thought it was PMS because I'm due in a few days. When the nausea and diarrhea hit I knew it was something else. I have all the symptoms of norovirus. I hope it's not the flu.

This is real bad news because tomorrow is my first day of school in the spring session. I've been taking everything trying to get rid of it, including tylenol, imodium, sambucus and a lot of green tea. If anyone knows a better quick cure, please let me know.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Not thinking about anything is Zen. Once you know this, walking, sitting, or lying down, everything you do is Zen.
    ― Bodhidharma

• The flu is not norovirus so no you are not getting the flu. Unless of course you are experiencing influenza symptoms, then you may have the flu and norovirus.

Also it is a viral infection so no there is nothing medically you can do. Norovirus is going to hang around your GI tract for one to three days and it is kinda hard to diagnose without a stool sample so it could be norovirus or you could have a case of food poisoning.

All you can really do is try not to get dehydrated by replenishing fluids and wait it out.
    There are those who believe that dictionaries should not merely reflect the times but also protect English from the mindless assaults of the trendy.

Comment

• If you have a GI tract problem, I would think it best not to immobilize your gut with Imodium (loperamide) until it is emptied to a great degree. I always have it in my med kit when I go to Southeast Asia and that is what I do.
      I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.
      Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

From a speech by Patrick Henry on March 23, 1775 at St. John's Church, Richmond, Virginia

Comment

• All you can really do is try not to get dehydrated by replenishing fluids and wait it out.
        I do get dehydrated a lot easier than others because I've had 20% of my small intestine removed because of injury. That makes it harder to absorb fluids and nutrients. When I get diarrhea I drink water mixed with recoverORS powder.

If you have a GI tract problem, I would think it best not to immobilize your gut with Imodium (loperamide) until it is emptied to a great degree. I always have it in my med kit when I go to Southeast Asia and that is what I do
        I had to take one imodium to calm my system, it felt and sounded like something was fighting in my stomach. Things have calmed down now but water still runs right through me. I'm afraid to eat anything at all. It looks like no school tomorrow and maybe the next day.
        [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
        Not thinking about anything is Zen. Once you know this, walking, sitting, or lying down, everything you do is Zen.
        ― Bodhidharma

Comment

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

• Pain Management

Dear All,

I am Tim and new to this forum. I really like guiding people on various topics so if you have any advise for me or want an advice...

Today, 04:33 AM By Timf
        • Abominable Film

I went to see this at the cinema with my sister and was blown away: by the quality of the film, the special effects, the storyline. Definitely one of...

Yesterday, 04:48 AM By Popcorn&Candy
        • Reply to Healthcare Apps

That sounds like a really good idea, Anya Joe. Keeping track of the calories you're burning must work. To me, I wouldn't use such a device myself, but...

Yesterday, 04:41 AM By Popcorn&Candy
        • Reply to Hello All

Hi, ConnieBlake. I am a regular member on here and look forward to offering you any advice you might need.

There're loads of people with...

Yesterday, 04:38 AM By Popcorn&Candy
        • Reply to Nice to meet you!

Welcome to WH! I look forward to reading your posts!

Yesterday, 04:36 AM By Popcorn&Candy

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

• Pain Management

Dear All,

I am Tim and new to this forum. I really like guiding people on various topics so if you have any advise for me or want an advice...

Today, 04:33 AM By Timf
        • Abominable Film

I went to see this at the cinema with my sister and was blown away: by the quality of the film, the special effects, the storyline. Definitely one of...

Yesterday, 04:48 AM By Popcorn&Candy
        • Do You Believe In Kindred Spirits, Soulmates, And Twin Flames? - Discuss!

We hear a lot of talk about finding a soulmate, but did you know there are kindred spirits and twin flames out there also? Maybe you have met yours?...

10-15-2019, 08:43 AM By Alison H.
        • Nice to meet you!

My name's Eileen. It will take awhile before I'm able to find my way around here.

10-15-2019, 02:25 AM By EileenFrazier
        • Hi :)

I am Kayla. I am New Member of this form. I am happy to be a part of this forum.

10-15-2019, 02:22 AM By KaylaGarcia
        Working...
        X