Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trying to figure out a way around a bad back...

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• Trying to figure out a way around a bad back...

So I'm 29 years old and female. About 5 years ago I started having back problems and since then I have done things a little more carefully. At the time when it first began I was working full time at a very busy and fast paced job running machines. I eventually became pregnant with my second son and decided to be the stay at home mom after 4 years of working there. Just recently (3 weeks ago) I started back at my old position but part time this time around. I made my back worse last week after picking up something I shouldn't have and so far all signs lead back to not working there anymore. Nobody seems to think it's a good idea and at this point I really don't think it is either but I'm so frustrated with my back getting in the way and I have no idea what to do at this point. I really love my job but I don't want to risk making my back worse anymore. Any ideas, suggestions or similar situations would be appreciated. Thanks

• Hi Stephie,

Do they have Occupational Health and Safety there? There has to be a certain weight restriction and also you should be taught exactly how to bend and lift anything.

In my opinon we are fortunate, as in Australia, those rules apply, people attend to lifting together, forklifts are offered which lift to your height.

Can any of those things be suggested?

There is no point having a torn disk, they do not heal.

Polities can strengthen your back with a good teacher and then you can use the ball at home on your own, heat back (wheat) help relieve the pain, exercise helps strenthen and flat shoes are a must at all thime.
    PUT A LITTLE 'LIKE' IN MY SOUL!

Comment

• What I was doing was just part of the job. Kind each for their own there but even though it wasn't extremely heavy it was still enough to do some damage. I do have a couple of herniated discs and a few other things going on in my back so I try to be cautious.

Comment

• Well honestly, as I have one myself.

You have to change jobs, I did, our quality of life is more important and if you do further damage, you may find you can not work ever again, in anything...

I know you don't want to hear that, but that's reality.
        PUT A LITTLE 'LIKE' IN MY SOUL!

Comment

• I know how hard life becomes with a herniated disc. What helped me more than anything with mine was acupuncture, so you may want to consider the option. And depending on your insurance, it may be covered. I didn't have to pay a dime for mine. You should definitely try to find a job that doesn't include any sort of heavy lifting or anything like that. Also you may want to consider purchasing one of those zero gravity chairs. It takes the pressure off of your low back when you sit in it, so if you are having a painful day, it is nice to know you can go sit in it and take the edge off.

Comment

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

• Have You Ever Done Any Online Dating? - Let's Discuss!

If you've ever done any online dating, you know there are many things that can go wrong. But for some, online dating leads to finding a soulmate. ...

09-17-2019, 11:04 AM By Chrissy M.
          • Do You Volunteer?

I have done so for many years.

I work at a charity and have been there for over 10 years. I must admit, I love the work. Admittedly, I don't...

09-17-2019, 03:15 AM By Popcorn&Candy
          • Do You Pluck Your Eyebrows?

I certainly do.

I like the thinner brow look. I have beautiful eyes and feel my brows frame my face. I love having groomed, neat eyebrows....

09-17-2019, 03:08 AM By Popcorn&Candy
          • Fabulous New Boots!

I very recently bought myself a gorgeous pair of black leather boots. I spent a good 20 minutes making the decision and don't regret it!

09-17-2019, 03:02 AM By Popcorn&Candy
          • Soon To Have Therapy

I've been in a really mixed-up place lately. So I have spoken to my doctor and she is referring me for counselling. I shall also be seeing a psychologist....

09-17-2019, 02:59 AM By Popcorn&Candy
          Working...
          X