Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Eating Disorder

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• Eating Disorder

I have NED, Nocturnal Eating Disorder. ( Google it ) . Strange Disorder to say the Least .

It took years to diagnose it. Basically....
    I " Sleep Eat ". Kinda like sleep walking and I do sleep walk sometimes to "feed " my NED so to speak.

I try to eat something before work in the mornings, like Fruit, Egg and Toast, Peaches and Cream Oatmeal packet. Not all of them but one of them ..
    Most mornings I do get some Nutrition in me. I only have 1 cup of coffee, used to have at least 5. But it was interfering with my Heart Rate.

My lunch is usually about 4-5 hours into my shift. I get an hour lunch, so usually will go to the store for fruit or yogurt or cheese or Taco Bell or some other " Fast Food " Place. The problem is that I may buy something, get back to my store, sit in parking lot and try to eat what I bought. 3-4 bites and I'm " Full " or lost interest in lunch. It's a waste of Money, to say the least.

When I get home, usually 5-6 pm, I am not hungry at all. Sometimes I will cook dinner for myself and Daughter, or she will cook for us . But I will make a plate, take a few bites and I'm full. I usually go to bed and watch TV about 8 pm . There sits my Dinner plate with most of the food on it and I " Pick at it ".

When I wake up at 4:30 am, my plate is mostly clean and sometimes there are opened cans of Ravioli's or Spinach or Black Olives or Pork and Beans, with a Spoon in them and they are mostly empty of whatever food was in them.
    I do not remember eating these things, nor getting up and getting them. I eat more when in NED mode than when awake.

When Diagnosed the Dr. 12 years ago, said it was my body telling it it needs substance and my mind was reacting to it.
    But my " needs or are only transmitted and reacted on in only be in "Sleep Mode ".
    Back Then he said it was " OK " except if I start Cooking or using knives while asleep.

The past few months, I have found, remnants of Grapes and Strawberry's and Slices of Cheese,the kind off the block that I have to slice, not the peel the wrapper off kind. Slices of Apples or Cantalope, Watermelon, Slices of hard Salami. Again, I have no memory of even getting up to get something to eat, much less slicing any items.

Being a Severe Reactive Hypoglycemic, luckily I haven't much " Sugars " in my home, that could cause a severe reaction with my Glucose levels. I evidently " Crave" what my body is missing, but only in the Sleep Mode. During my Wake Mode, food sounds good, I get a " Craving " but when I give into it, it is only a few Bites, before that Craving is satisfied.

In all , I'm not underweight nor overweight. 5'7 132 lbs. Closing on 60 years old. Have decent Energy level, the only time I lack energy is after I eat in the daytime. I feel lethargic after eating. What I call the " Itus " short for sleep Itus .. lol

My daughter and I go " Big Shopping " I get things I know are Healthy or I Crave, no doughnuts or cakes or cookies, I do get them for her, but do not eat them myself. They are never any of the foods I find as Leftovers on my " Sleep Plate ". I take a Multi Vitamin every morning , ( well most ) lol.
    And the things I try to eat ,are Healthy for Me and are ingrained in me to not Raise and then Slam my Glucose levels. Been in a Glucose Coma 4 times from eating the " Wrong for my System " foods. I have 25 years of eating Right for my System, it's just not at the " Right Times " now.

Now the concern here is that I can eat daily and I mean all day .. lol ,
    This meaning if I make a Corned Beef and Cabbage in my Crock Pot or a a Cow Tongue or Homemade Chili or Stew. I can eat a Bowl or cup every hour, including during the Sleep Mode. Until that Crock pot is empty !!

I do Not Gain weight easily, I had the Swine Flu 4 years ago, lost 20 lbs in 10 days, it took me well over 2 years to gain that 20 lbs back. I am now Stabilized in the " Weight " range.

Does anyone else have a problem/ Disorder like mine ?
    Any Idea's ?
    I have tried making a " Night Feeding " tray before Bed, Pre Slicing the Cheese, Pre opening the Cans.Putting my normal " Sleep Snacks" on a plate before bed. That is usually " Gone by Morning ", but then the Food " Breeds" and there is an Empty Can of Chili or Butter Beans or Creamed Corn with a Spoon in it ..

My Daughter say " You gotta Eat more Mamma ".. I say" In My Dreams Honey .. In my Dreams" .. lol
    Though I think she is Concerned that when she may have to " Take care of Me ", It will be the Reverse of her first 2 years of Life .. Needs must be met ya know .

• It sounds like you need to leave a lot of pre-portioned food in the refrigerator and have anything sharp locked up with a time lock. I know it costs a lot of money, but this should be able to be overcome by conditioning. You maybe wouldn't enjoy the food, but you would at least eat. Maybe even hypnosis would work.
    I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.
    Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

From a speech by Patrick Henry on March 23, 1775 at St. John's Church, Richmond, Virginia

Comment

• Hi BG

The knives concern me as I am sure, they do you.. Even if you hid them your sub-conscious more than likely will remember where they are.. But, also, it's a bit like riding a bike once you have done it, you don't forget. So even whilst sleep walking you don't forget how to use one. This I hope is a saving grace .

I wonder if firstly JNS's idea of cutting up things before hand and leaving them in the fridge will work, if you put a lock on the cupboard where the cans are and even perhaps where the knives are... Maybe not immediately but after some time.

Have you considered going into hospital to be monitored for 24hrs as "you" don't remember, the video capture will show it all.. I always think it's better to know what you are dealing with then not knowing and second guessing from the parts that are evident .

I also like the idea of hypnotherapy and also consulting a nutritionist.

I am not a fan of drugs, however, some tests have shown this disorder to be cured but with a ton of drugs and weight loss follows... Supressing an appetite is not my idea of a solution.

To me, it sounds as if your body is craving the right food... Fruit is not enough for breakfast.. Are you sub-consciously frightened of gaining wait? Our minds play good tricks and if this was me, I would be thinking like that, therefore, taking bites and not eating the rest as I know I will wake to eat..

Why not therefore start with eggs, toast in the mornings, mushrooms, tomatoes, spinach on toast with a little feta cheese, things like that. Make the time, make it clock work.. Eat a piece of fruit a couple of hours later. Cut up cold chicken and carrots/celery things like that and take it with you for lunch, if you have a microwave, make soups. Take them...

I think if you get yourself into the habit of eating a good breakfast, taking proper food in for lunch it will help you not get hungry in the middle of the night.

I have done this many a time, usually chocolate or chips. Once, boiled eggs until the neighbours banged my door down as I went back to sleep sitting up... I was a lot younger but I've been there.

The old 5 small meals a day does work or 6 but it starts with a breakfast... Without that, our stomach shrinks but at some point it craves ... And, you are starving yourself of good food that would otherwise make your body feel good and complete.
      PUT A LITTLE 'LIKE' IN MY SOUL!

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

Working...
      X