Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Very thirsty

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• Very thirsty

Hey Everyone,
    I'd like to start this off by saying that I am on the "hypochondria" spectrum. I'm very low on the spectrum, but I get anxiety about my health very easily. I am a 20 year old woman, and I stand at 5'10" at roughly 195lbs. I am very aware that I am overweight, and I have been working very hard to lose weight. That's where all of this starts. Last Sunday I woke up a little dehydrated after a family party (yes, I was drinking). I went for a run for the first time in years later that day. I ran into a cloud of dust, as it has been very dry here in Massachusetts (a neighbor was mowing his lawn). I ran a little farther up the road and my throat became very, very, very dry. I started coughing and wheezing harder than I ever have in my life. I thought I was going to throw up because there was not enough moisture in my throat. In the following days my mouth felt like there was cotton in it (I continued to exercise all week), my mouth still feels a little bit like that (nowhere near as bad as I felt a few days ago). But my water intake went up. I then became very preoccupied with the idea that I have diabetes. I was wondering if any of the things I said above matter, or if I should go to my doctor. Intellectually, I'm pretty sure this isn't diabetes. I have no family history, and my urine output only went up today after I had coffee for the first time in a while. I literally have no other symptoms, but as a hypochondriac I really can't help but lose sleep over this.

• Water craving is a symptom of untreated diabetes. In my case, drinking water did not diminish the craving or quench the thirst in the slightest. The water seemed as if it was very bland.
    I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.
    Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

From a speech by Patrick Henry on March 23, 1775 at St. John's Church, Richmond, Virginia

Comment

• You say it was the first time you ran in a while. Could the thirst be from the running and the extra working out? I know I drink a lot more water when I work out. Also alcohol dehydrates you.

I don't think the symptoms of diabetes would just subside. You say the cotton mouth went away. It was probably just a reaction to allergens in the dust you sucked in. I vote to keep your money in your pocket instead of giving it to your doctor - or at least wait a bit.
      "Those sowing seed with tears
      Will reap with a joyful shout." - Psalm 126

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

Working...
      X