Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fractured/Broken Nose and Black eyes

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• Fractured/Broken Nose and Black eyes

So the other day as I was getting ready to change into my PJ's, I bent down to push the legs of my pants down my calves. As I did so, my bullmastiff decided he wanted to jump up on my bed at the same time. Well, his hard head smacked me directly in the nose. My fiance heard a pop and then all the blood came rushing. While holding a cold wash cloth to my nose I noticed a little bump on the upper part of the right side of my nose. My fiance told me to hold it straight and as I pushed on that bump it moved back into place. It has been four days since this has happened and honestly I'm not sure if it's broken or not. Been trying to call my doctor's office all day to get in and see someone but can't get through to a receptionist. Honestly just looking for a little peace of mind with whether or not it could be broken. It swelled, its sore and now four days later the area just on both sides of my nose and a little beneath my eyes have started to turn black and blue and then that ugly yellow of a healing bruise. I can breathe out of it, sneeze without hurting, blow my nose when I have to without incident and the bump is no longer prominent like it was Friday evening. Now from what I've said does it sound like my nose is broken? Fiance has said maybe a fracture or maybe a slight break but again I'm not fully 100% because I cant get into my doctor's office. I've been icing it every day since it happened a couple times a day. As of today being day four it really doesn't hurt as much as it did but again, the area beneath my eyes have darkened with obvious bruising. How long do black eyes usually take the heal and recover? I have no physical signs that my nose is off center or anything like that. Any ideas?

• They don't really do anything for a broken nose unless you can't breathe. Kind of like toes. Unless they are really out of shape they just tape the broken one to a non broken one to keep it straight and leave it to heal.

If it's causing breathing problems (usually while sleeping) you can have nasal surgery. Look up deviated septum. However nasal surgery is horrible to go through. The nurse taking care of my stepdad when he had it said she'd never do it. So really you just wait it out until it heals and you might have a slight bump there. I have a slightly wide spot on my nose from where my sister kicked a horse feed bucket in to my face while we were messing around as teenagers. My nose doesn't bleed though. I've never had a bloody nose. It just swelled, my eyes watered for about 30mins, and I had a little Z shaped cut going down it from the edge of the handle.

Comment

• I finally got to go in today and see. They did Xrays and it is in fact broken. I’m not having any breathing issues or anything like that and she pretty much told me it’ll heal. My nose won’t be out of alignment or anything and I’m sure my black eyes will subside eventually but all in all I should be fine. Thinking I broke the Nasal Bone, they never told me what bone it was but it definitely wasn’t straight anymore like it should usually be. First major broken bone besides my toe but I don’t really count that as a big break. This sucks, tired of getting looked at like I’ve been beat to death with my black eyes.

Comment

• Originally posted by Winged_Muse View Post
        This sucks, tired of getting looked at like I’ve been beat to death with my black eyes.
        You get those looks, stare them straight in the eyes and say "Think I look bad? You should see the other guy."

Sorry about your nose though, that sucks. :/

Comment

• Yes it does suck. Makes you feel horrible mostly physically. Thankfully my makeup covers my black eyes fairly well so I don't have to worry about that to much

Comment

• Hoping you recover soon. Black sometimes turns to yellow and green. Hopefully not for your case.
            I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.
            Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

From a speech by Patrick Henry on March 23, 1775 at St. John's Church, Richmond, Virginia

Comment

• Well my nose healed just fine, it's still tender if I accidently brush it with my hand to hard or something like that. My black eyes did actually turn a yellowish green, but all of my bruises do that no matter where it is. I had black eyes for maybe a week or so but they weren't terrible and I was thankful my makeup covered them up nicely! It healed straight, I do have a little bump but it's not really noticeable

Comment

• Glad to hear your on the mend.
                I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.
                Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

From a speech by Patrick Henry on March 23, 1775 at St. John's Church, Richmond, Virginia

Comment

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

• Do You Believe In Kindred Spirits, Soulmates, And Twin Flames? - Discuss!

We hear a lot of talk about finding a soulmate, but did you know there are kindred spirits and twin flames out there also? Maybe you have met yours?...

10-15-2019, 08:43 AM By Alison H.
                • Nice to meet you!

My name's Eileen. It will take awhile before I'm able to find my way around here.

10-15-2019, 02:25 AM By EileenFrazier
                • Hi :)

I am Kayla. I am New Member of this form. I am happy to be a part of this forum.

10-15-2019, 02:22 AM By KaylaGarcia
                • Hello All

Hi everyone,
                  I'm quite happy to have found a forum that hopefully will give plenty of advice and insight on all sorts of womanly things; and maybe...

10-15-2019, 02:15 AM By ConnieBlake
                • Hello Everyone

Well my name is Misa. I'm 29 and I'm from New York. I'm a mother to two beautiful little girls and soon a baby boy. I have been married to my husband...

10-15-2019, 01:58 AM By JackMaxwell
                Working...
                X