Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recovering from a laparotomy, can anyone help?

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• Recovering from a laparotomy, can anyone help?

Hi,

I guess I'm just looking for someone to talk to - six weeks ago tomorrow I had a laparotomy as I was having problems with my small intestine. I have recovered well so far, although I have no idea what to expect. I don't know how "well" I should be now.. I am still exhausted both physically and mentally, can't concentrate for more than five minutes, can't walk far at all without taking breaks. My family and boyfriend were amazing to begin with, but now I feel as if I'm annoying them. I just want to sleep a lot, and I have a doctor's note that says I can't work. So I generally just stay in the house and watch tv, but I do work around the house like light cleaning and take the dog on two walks a day. I'm trying to ignore the pain and push myself and I think my family have took this to mean that I am completely better, but I'm far from it.

Has anyone else went through this? How long did it take you to recover?

Alice xxx

• I don't know what type of problem you had, but it seems that 6 weeks is a long time to still be in such pain that you're unable to resume normal activities, or return to work on light duty, depending on your type of work. Were there complications as well? Has your doctor rechecked you regularly?

Comment

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

• Career Mom Guilt Is Real. Have You Ever Experienced It? - Let's Discuss!

Mom guilt is real! I love my profession and I love being a mom, but sometimes balancing the two can leave us moms feeling less than enough in both....

Today, 10:46 AM By Rebecca Z.
    • Pain Management

Dear All,

I am Tim and new to this forum. I really like guiding people on various topics so if you have any advise for me or want an advice...

Yesterday, 04:33 AM By Timf
    • Abominable Film

I went to see this at the cinema with my sister and was blown away: by the quality of the film, the special effects, the storyline. Definitely one of...

10-20-2019, 04:48 AM By Popcorn&Candy
    • Reply to Healthcare Apps

That sounds like a really good idea, Anya Joe. Keeping track of the calories you're burning must work. To me, I wouldn't use such a device myself, but...

10-20-2019, 04:41 AM By Popcorn&Candy
    • Reply to Hello All

Hi, ConnieBlake. I am a regular member on here and look forward to offering you any advice you might need.

There're loads of people with...

10-20-2019, 04:38 AM By Popcorn&Candy

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

Working...
    X