• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any remedies for Cold and Cough?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any remedies for Cold and Cough?

Does anyone have any quick remedies for the cold and cough? Ive been taking tylenol for cold thats not helping then i started taking tylenol multi symtom today. I really need to get better soon. Any sugesstions??
    sigpic~♥Þátrìçìá♥~

now, i know that you're supposed to take this to not get sick, but i've always boosted my immune system with Airborne. it has so much vitamin C its ridiculous!

try that or go to the doc to get strong anitbiotics. i think that the strongest one for sickness is Keflex (sp?) but they don't usually give that one out until all the others have failed.

hope you feel better!
    Miss Kitty

Comment

hello there,
      well a common cold is a miserable thing. i live here with 4 kids and they are always passing around colds and such. well a few herbal suggestions for relieving common cold symptoms are echinacea that helps stregthens the immune systems and can help shorten the length of a cold or flu, citrus fruits have uplifting properties, helping to beat the "winter blues". orange can bring down temperatures, eucalyptus oil can sooth inflamation and clear the head and sinuses, just put a few drops of this oil on a hankercheif and inhaled at intervals will relieve nasal congestion, garlic in clove form or powder has great anti-bacterial properties that helps the immune system fight infection, try to include garlic in your diet. it is also an effective remedy for chest infections. well here is an herbal cough syrup recipe you can try also, pour a half pint of boiling water into a jug containing a sliced lemon and one teaspoon of honey. it's a simple recipe. then you can choose to add chopped sage, grated ginger or a spoonful of thyme. just cool, strain and take a half teaspoon 3 times a day. just a note that pregnant women should avoid thyme or sage. well i hope this helps and i hope your feeling better soon. Lynne

p.s. antibiotics are not effective on treating a common cold virus, as with any virus you just have to do your time and treat the symptoms.
      Last edited by metalbudderfly; 12-20-2007, 12:13 PM.
      LYNNE

Comment

cold remedy

Originally posted by patricias213 View Post
        Does anyone have any quick remedies for the cold and cough? Ive been taking tylenol for cold thats not helping then i started taking tylenol multi symtom today. I really need to get better soon. Any sugesstions??
        1) eliminate dairy for the time period to decrease thickness of mucus.
        2) echinacea/goldenseal (1 tab in the morning, 1 in the evening with food)
        3) orange juice for vitamin c
        4) rest
        5) cod liver oil, 1 teaspoon early, 1 later
        6) humidifier if dry heat in house

Comment

I have been taking this tonic called Ferrol Compound, i feel like it has helped alot. I also made ginger tea but only had it for 2 days or so. Its slowly leaving me. I have echinacea i should try it. Thanks alot!
          sigpic~♥Þátrìçìá♥~

Comment

cold

I have been taking this tonic called Ferrol Compound, i feel like it has helped alot. I also made ginger tea but only had it for 2 days or so. Its slowly leaving me. I have echinacea i should try it. Thanks alot!
            I recommend the echinacia and goldenseal combo from GNC. Ony take 2 weeks though. You can stay on it like a vitamin. It stimulates the immune system and organs.

Comment

Definitely discontinue use of Tylenol...HUGE hepatotoxin (can cause severe liver toxicity if you use for a prolonged period of time without sufficient water consumption)!! The very best thing for you to do is cure your cold as naturally as possible. Definitely increase your vitamin C levels...this helps carry nutrients into your cells which in turn will naturally provide your immune system with a boost! Drink water until it's coming out of your ears seriously this step is sooo important because it will thin out your mucus...mucus is a breeding ground for bacteria...so avoiding anything dairy with be highly beneficial to you because as a previous post stated, dairy has an enormous tendency to increase mucus levels...plus the sugar in many dairy products can just exacerbate these effects. Check out the huge line of Traditional Medicinal Teas...they have some really great herbal combinations to cure most common ailments! Colds totally suck, but just remember you won't stay sick as long if you tell your body that you're getting better...even if you don't actually think it's true...just tell your body that you won't allow yourself to be sick anymore...it sounds strange, but works for me everytime!!

Comment

Garlic helps with colds, also onions help! And cod liver oil is great for building up your immune system and helps with a lot of other stuff too. But you don't have to suffer with liquid cod liver oil anymore, it comes in gel caps. My grandmother used to poke that stuff down me when I was a child and it's really, really nasty! But do drink a lot of fruit juices (real juice...not the drinks that are just flavored), eat lots of onions and if you can tolerate raw garlic, try that one too. Garlic comes in gel caps too but I think fresh garlic is probably better. One old time remedy I remember is to split a clove of garlic in half and place the halves in both cheeks...between you gums and cheek. If you can tolerate that for at least 30 minutes, it's supposed to stop any cold or flu dead in it's tracks. Fresh garlic has a tendency to burn a little...that's why I say "if you can tolerate". It won't leave any blisters and will cool off pretty quick after it's removed. Good old Vicks Salve will help with that cough too. Just rub a little in the hollow of your throat and on your upper chest...it works...really! Doctors frown on it but it's never let me down.

Comment

Beechams! My dad swears by them...Um Decongestant tablets...

Or a classic remedy...Lean over a bowl of hot water with a tea towel over your head and just steam it out...a few drops of Vicks helps in there too! Not too much in case you sting your eyes

ORRR! this stuff is amazing, buttercups cough syrup <3

Comment

1. Get tons of fruit
                    2. Stick it in a blender
                    3. Be suprised how much fruit made so little juice
                    4. Drink it
                    5. Repeat

Fruit totally owns colds.

Comment

I think one of the best ways to stay away from regular bouts of cough and cold is to try the natural remedies. the regular medicines only work for the time being and the next time you are exposed to extreme cold its back these are some natural hacks to keep cough and cold away.

1. staying warm and resting when you first come down with a cold or the flu helps your body direct its energy toward the immune battle. This battle taxes the body. So give it a little help by resting.

2. Gargling can moisten a sore throat and bring temporary relief. Gargle with half a teaspoon of salt dissolved in 8 ounces warm water, four times daily.

To reduce the tickle in your throat, try an astringent gargle -- such as tea that contains tannin -- to tighten the membranes. Or use a thick, viscous gargle made with honey or honey and apple cider vinegar. Seep one tablespoon of raspberry leaves or lemon juice in two cups of hot water; mix with one teaspoon of honey. Let the mixture cool to room temperature before gargling.

3. steamy showers moisturize your nasal passages and may help you relax. If you're dizzy from the flu, run a steamy shower while you sit on a chair nearby and take a sponge bath.

Last edited by jns; 02-27-2018, 02:57 PM. Reason: Outbound links are not allowed.

Comment

Seconded, sangeeta.jain.

Comment

for the coughing stage of cold:

I send a spoonful of honey to school in case child has a coughing spell.....it works

(school doesn't allow kids to carry cough drops)

Comment

This thread is from 10 years ago!

I am prone to coughing attacks not related to a cold. My Lao relatives showed me that taking a dab of salt with a whetted finger and sucking it will calm the back of the throat in a short while. Table sugar also works. Done correctly, very little salt is consumed. I always have salt in a zip lock bag when traveling. It is less messy than sugar.
                            I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.
                            Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

From a speech by Patrick Henry on March 23, 1775 at St. John's Church, Richmond, Virginia

Comment

Originally posted by jns View Post
                              This thread is from 10 years ago!.
                              good thing someone resurrected thread then (not me)
                              as u weren't a member in '07 and hadn't shared your cough remedy yet

Comment

Working...
                              X