Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

night sweats and everything else

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• night sweats and everything else

I'm so tired guys. For years I have had night sweats that wake me up multiple times a night, I wake overheated and soggy despite being in a cool room with a light duvet. I can't think about what it will be like to go through another summer of this, it's exhausting.

I know it is worsened by the prozac that I take, but Im going to the docs today in the hope she can help. I don't know if it is related to the relentless postnasal drip I have, or acid reflux, or my recently diagnosed asthma, or allergies, or plain old anxiety.

Has anyone else had similar symptoms? BTW I'm 32 and have had the night sweats ever since I started on prozac some twelve years ago. The only real respite I've had was when I took valium before bedtime due to anxious Insomnia and I slept like a rock...but that's not a longterm solution!
    “...choose to believe in your own myth
    your own glamour
    your own spell
    a young woman who does this
    (even if she is just pretending)
    has everything....”
    ― Francesca Lia Block, How to (Un)cage a Girl

• Night sweats are often caused by hypoglycemia (low blood sugar). Try eating a high protein snack before bed and see if that helps.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Not thinking about anything is Zen. Once you know this, walking, sitting, or lying down, everything you do is Zen.
    ― Bodhidharma

Comment

• Thanks chaya, I'll see if my doc agrees, though I guess you mean protein + complex cards, cos protein alone won't do a fat lot to blood sugar levels!
      your own glamour
      your own spell
      has everything....”

Comment

• I'm sorry you're going through it, Calibri.

I have night sweats. I think it's pre-menopausal, but what do I know? I have been having them for years! I think it's about the time I'm "having a period"... the only thing being that I don't have periods, because I've had a hysterectomy. But I can "feel" when I'd be having a period. I have the same symptoms as before. The night sweats precede my hysterectomy.

I live in a cold country and I suffer a lot with it, because I wake up with my blanket soaked. I mean it: soaked! I can see sweat coming out of my pores. It's amazing. I soak my pillow! It lasts for like 3 to 5 days, then its gone till next month. It's about that, because I haven't really taken notes to check if it's every month. I think there are months I don't have it.

My doctor didn't find the cause and didn't solve the problem.

I also have those sweats for no good reason during the day. Because of it, I'm wearing light coats, even when it's very cold, like now. Some days I just can't support the coat and I go out with only one pullover, even when it's freezing outside.

It's misery. But I tell myself it could be much worse. I could have a terrible illness, but all I have are the sweats. I'm lucky!

Comment

• Aww raindancer that doesn't sound much fun but highly familiar. If there is no other cause its often to do with anxiety..have you considered that?

I'm having bloods taken tomorrow to check hormones and thyroid function, but I'm 99% sure they'll come out normal.

Dr wants me to switch to a different antidepressant called mirtazapine which should fix the sweats if it's med related, but of course, that opens up the Pandoras box of prozac withdrawal plus new side effects....am I ready for that ride? Can I afford not to do it? I'm exhausted every day and I'm pretty sure that nightly overheating is the cause.
          Incidentally I've got me some sexy saline nasal spray for post nasal drip...oh yeah...check me out!
          your own glamour
          your own spell
          has everything....”

Comment

• Wow, sexy saline nasal spray!!! Go girl!

Thank you so much for your comment on my problem! It can't hurt to widen my horizons as to the causes...

When you talk about nightly overheating, what exactly do you mean? And don't you ever have those sweats during the day? I was trying to find parallels between us. I have acid reflux, too, and sinusitis, but the sinusitis is quite recent. I'll do a bit of research on the possible correlation between acid reflux and night sweats. The overheating: that we don't have in common. I'm always cold. I think there's freon in my bones!

You did say it began when you started taking Prozac... but it could be a coincidence, couldn't it?

Good luck!

Comment

• Well raindancer, as a general rule I feel cold most of the time and only Seem to get sweats when I'm asleep....

Dr called this morning to say that my bloods were abnormal. (gulp) apparently my hormones are all wrong...my FSH was 33 and LH 15.... Normal values premenopause are 7-20 for LH and under 9 for FSH. An FSH level of 40 and above suggests menopause or ovarian failure. So.....that's nice isn't it. I have to go in on day 21 of my cycle for another blood test to see how it looks then along with estradiol....Presumably that will allow discrimination between PCOS or an adrenal disorder, or just few eggs left.

If the test comes back bad again. I'm pretty sure it will be due to all those years of anorexia induced amenorrhoea. Its weird because my cycle is reasonably regular...though today I had some bizarre spotting ( early ovulation?) so Perhaps my hormones just went a bit mental for a few days, or the lab tech switched my sample with that of a 50year old lady....

Oh test also showed low leukocytes so...need retesting in case I also have some immune system problem. Geees, I'm really not having a good day here....
              your own glamour
              your own spell
              has everything....”

Comment

• My husband has this problem of night sweats and while researching I found that it could be ​hyperhidrosis.
                http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/182130.php​

Comment

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

• Have You Ever Done Any Online Dating? - Let's Discuss!

If you've ever done any online dating, you know there are many things that can go wrong. But for some, online dating leads to finding a soulmate. ...

09-17-2019, 11:04 AM By Chrissy M.
                • Do You Volunteer?

I have done so for many years.

I work at a charity and have been there for over 10 years. I must admit, I love the work. Admittedly, I don't...

09-17-2019, 03:15 AM By Popcorn&Candy
                • Do You Pluck Your Eyebrows?

I certainly do.

I like the thinner brow look. I have beautiful eyes and feel my brows frame my face. I love having groomed, neat eyebrows....

09-17-2019, 03:08 AM By Popcorn&Candy
                • Fabulous New Boots!

I very recently bought myself a gorgeous pair of black leather boots. I spent a good 20 minutes making the decision and don't regret it!

09-17-2019, 03:02 AM By Popcorn&Candy
                • Soon To Have Therapy

I've been in a really mixed-up place lately. So I have spoken to my doctor and she is referring me for counselling. I shall also be seeing a psychologist....

09-17-2019, 02:59 AM By Popcorn&Candy
                Working...
                X