Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• Uptown Funk - My No Deodorant Experiment

I've been doing it for almost a month.

I'm tired of the perfumes - even from the supposedly non-scented deodorants. Then there's the metals and chemicals. The healthier ones always seem to burn me. I don't have a very strong smell and have always skipped days here and there, especially in the colder months. This time I'm keeping it going.

Does anybody else do this or have you tried it?
    "Those sowing seed with tears
    Will reap with a joyful shout." - Psalm 126

• using arm and hammer unscented stick
    do not see a fragrance listed as any ingredient but there are oils listed which must be the natural deodorants, do not detect a strong smell from it

Comment

• Right on!!!
      I have read that vegetarian and vegan diets lend themselves to this. I personally haven't tried it. I do admit tho, in winter I will skip a full shower some days, if I'm not really going anywhere. My skin needs the break. I will maybe wash off in the sink if I feel I need it.
      Supposedly, this is healthy, but not showering is really an effort for me. A shower helps me wake up and I just feel better being cleaner.

I use a deodorant crystal, have you seen this? It works and lasts a really long time. You just apply it to your wet armpits after a shower. For us ladies, it's great also because there's no residue seen with our sleeveless dresses and no staining our clothes either.
      It's cheaper in the long run. I paid $10-12 a year ago, and it's maybe 1/4 used? So, economically it's better also.

For men, I would imagine shaving or at least trimming the hair would be helpful.

Comment

• deleted comment
        Last edited by amy40; 01-19-2017, 12:19 PM. Reason: misread

Comment

• Originally posted by amy40 View Post
          using arm and hammer unscented stick
          do not see a fragrance listed as any ingredient but there are oils listed which must be the natural deodorants, do not detect a strong smell from it
          That's the deodorant I've been using for a while. It does have a smell to it, though. It also has aluminum, which is supposed to be bad for you.

There's actually another non-scented deodorant I think like more, but I can't think of the brand right now.

Comment

• Originally posted by atskitty2 View Post
            I have read that vegetarian and vegan diets lend themselves to this.
            Really? I've never heard that. I have heard that staying away from meat helps your smell, but didn't put two and two together. I can't wait to use that knowledge to pressure my wife.

We've tried the deodorant crystals and they burn us. It's really frustrating for her because she likes them a lot. We've tried multiple brands and it always works the same exact way: It deodorizes well for a few days. Then, it starts itching and smelling weird. Then burning and turning red. Then it turns dark and starts peeling.

I think my underarms are still scarred from the last time I tried some healthy stuff months ago. Right now my wife is using Lavilin deodorant cream. She likes it. It doesn't have aluminum and doesn't smell or burn her. Her only complaint is that it's a hassle to apply. I haven't tried it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stillness View Post
              That's the deodorant I've been using for a while. It does have a smell to it, though. It also has aluminum, which is supposed to be bad for you.
              mine is arm and hammer essentials deodorant with natural deodorizers

Stillness
              guess you couldn't locate the arm and hammer essentials
              it got replaced at our drugstore by Tom's of Maine, also no aluminum, no artificial fragrance etc
              but you wouldn't like one I got as it smells like bubblegum .....I love it!
              Last edited by amy40; 07-20-2017, 07:14 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by amy40 View Post
                you must not be using the same one. mine is arm and hammer essentials deodorant with natural deodorizers

right on back of mine says: no aluminum, no parabens, contains baking soda and natural plant extracts
                have always made sure don't use anything with aluminum
                Oh! No, I've never seen that. I'll have to check it out. Do you get it from a regular grocery store? Order it special?

Comment

• Me too. I used to be super sweaty when I was younger. I also had oily skin. Now I don't get too sweaty and I have dry skin. I guess its just aging. I only use deodorant when I'm at work events, just to be on the safe side. Since I work from home, I don't use it. Research shows that the human body is actually pretty good at keeping itself clean. Just change your clothes. That is more important. During the summer, I just make frequent stops in the bathroom to wipe down my underarms. Sweat is not what smells. Its the bacteria that grows on it so as long as you can whip it off before those bacteria really start fermenting (at least an hour), you shouldn't start smelling up the place. In the summer, when I'm wearing somethings sleeveless, I use powder just to keep dry. Its not good to prevent yourself from sweating, which is what an anti-perspirent does.
                  Freedom is just another word for nothing left to lose - Kris Kristofferson and Fred Foster (sung by Janis Joplin)

Comment

• Wow, I can't imagine the crystal burning the skin. My pits are a bit sensitive too, but I've had no problem with it.

Comment

• Thanks. It's encouraging to know other people are doing this. I'm conflicted, though.

There is a large immigrant community in my area and we've always commented on how funky they often are. I used to think it was because of not using deodorant, so I felt like it was a necessity if I didn't want to smell like them. Now I'm wondering if it’s more. My dad has a keen nose and no social filter and he didn't say anything to me the other day, so I guess I passed that test.

I'm not passing my own, though. I don't like the way I smell, but I only get the slightest of whiffs when I'm clothed. My wife doesn’t smell anything unless I’m shirtless and she puts her nose near my underarm. She actually likes it and I like not putting that stuff on my skin, so I guess I'm keeping it going.

Originally posted by DreamP346 View Post
                      whip it off
                      Not really my thing, but I’m not judging.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stillness View Post
                        There is a large immigrant community in my area and we've always commented on how funky they often are. I used to think it was because of not using deodorant, so I felt like it was a necessity if I didn't want to smell like them. Now I'm wondering if it’s more.
                        It can be food they eat and cook. Certain style of cooking really gets in the clothes. I know the South Asian cooking can really get in your clothes. And garlic comes out your pores. When I eat too much garlic, my husband complains about my skin. I come from a culture where it was customary to shower once a week and also wear the same clothes multiple days, maybe the whole week. Changing your clothes each day really is a luxury most of the world can't afford.
                        Freedom is just another word for nothing left to lose - Kris Kristofferson and Fred Foster (sung by Janis Joplin)

Comment

• Originally posted by DreamP346 View Post
                          shower once a week and also wear the same clothes multiple days, maybe the whole week..
                          yes, many people in world do not have access to showers, maybe only community wells, or rivers
                          clean water throughout the world is a major problem

it really is a luxury to be able to shower
                          am thankful we can turn on a faucet and that I do not need to spend all day getting water and food for the family as many still do

Comment

• Originally posted by DreamP346 View Post
                            I come from a culture where it was customary to shower once a week and also wear the same clothes multiple days, maybe the whole week. Changing your clothes each day really is a luxury most of the world can't afford.
                            The cultures I am most familiar with in Southeast Asia (Thai, Lao and Khmer) all prize keeping washed. Clothes are changed daily, if possible. Taking a shower occurs daily (or even multiple times a day), if possible. If it is cold, showering may take place less often. I have showered by pouring unheated water over myself many times. Quite bracing if the water was just pumped out of the bottom of a pond in the wintertime. Or if you shower before the sun is strong on winter mornings (cool season).
                            I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.
                            Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

From a speech by Patrick Henry on March 23, 1775 at St. John's Church, Richmond, Virginia

Comment

• I should add to the above post that captured rainwater can be quite cold right after it is captured even in a tropical climate.

Diet dictates what your odor smells like to a high degree. I find the odors caused by a rice based diet to be less objectionable than those caused by potatoes and other root crop diets.
                              I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.
                              Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

From a speech by Patrick Henry on March 23, 1775 at St. John's Church, Richmond, Virginia

Comment

Working...
                              X